Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am obviously not near as in tune with these machines as you all are. I know diesels. I have had my own diesel business for 22 years. I got this engine and subtrans for a good deal and I thought, why not? I guess I am glad I used all the right stuff.
Cool. I was a diesel mechanic at Roush for a while. Good trade

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What yr was the Talon and how many miles was on it?
Also, assuming the P1 didnt have i4wd im assuming that dosnt make any difference in the swap?
Sorry for the questions. Its a big undertaking and alot of questions for whom might be thinking of doing the same
The talon was a 19. I don't know the miles because it was in a light fire that melted the plastics. It still had the original tires on with decent tread so I figured it didn't have a ton of miles on it. My P1 doesn't i4wd. Maybe I got lucky but it actually was a fairly easy swap. I used the P1 engine harness, and the input/output shaft from the subtrans. I had to swap the thermostat housings and that was it. It is actually really fun to drive now and the lower reverse from the talon is really nice too

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
... and the lower reverse from the talon is really nice too
Yeah, one of the common mods among us Pioneer 1000 owners is to swap out the reverse gears for Talon reverse. It can be done within the subtrans.

Good work on swapping the whole thing out on your own! There's a ton of expertise on this forum, if you run into any ticks the answer will probably be here.

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, one of the common mods among us Pioneer 1000 owners is to swap out the reverse gears for Talon reverse. It can be done within the subtrans.

Good work on swapping the whole thing out on your own! There's a ton of expertise on this forum, if you run into any ticks the answer will probably be here.
Thank you. I appreciate that

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
🤔..........

@GMac32 I hope you kept a good documented record of everything you did for this swap with lots of pictures and what not because I think you might be the first to actually have done so around these parts.......(as far as I know)

Looking forward to seeing some pics 👍

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The talon was a 19. I don't know the miles because it was in a light fire that melted the plastics. It still had the original tires on with decent tread so I figured it didn't have a ton of miles on it. My P1 doesn't i4wd. Maybe I got lucky but it actually was a fairly easy swap. I used the P1 engine harness, and the input/output shaft from the subtrans. I had to swap the thermostat housings and that was it. It is actually really fun to drive now and the lower reverse from the talon is really nice too
Thats great. Sounds fairly simple swap for
The most part. Nice work

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤔..........

@GMac32 I hope you kept a good documented record of everything you did for this swap with lots of pictures and what not because I think you might be the first to actually have done so around these parts.......(as far as I know)

Looking forward to seeing some pics 👍
I didn't document anything. I am terrible at that. It is all in my head. I have a good memory when it comes to mechanical stuff. I can help whoever wants to do it.

advertisement
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am obviously not near as in tune with these machines as you all are. I know diesels. I have had my own diesel business for 22 years. I got this engine and subtrans for a good deal and I thought, why not? I guess I am glad I used all the right stuff.
outstanding, shoving a cheap used talon engine in the p1000 - kudos - not that difficult - kinda plug and play

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a couple pics. I will take more

20240619 075252 20240619 075320

advertisement