Planning a Trip to Hatfield-McCoy

N

Nvrgiveup

Planning our first trip to Hatfield-McCoy in mid-April. Kinda settled on the Matewan House Bed and Breakfast and riding Devil Anse and Buffalo Mountain. For those of you who’ve been to the Matewan/Gilbert, WV areas, are there any “must see” things while we are there? Also, if you have a guide recommendation, feel free to let us know. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JenElio and TxDoc
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm not aware of any truly "must see" places in Matewan but there is a little history.

The old railroad station building now houses an interesting little museum. It's worth an hour of your time. It's free but donations are appreciated.

Matewan was the scene of what is known as the Matewan Massacre that occurred in 1920.

A motion picture tells the story:

The town of Gilbert has a little more to offer in the way of food and lodging.

The great thing about that area is the Hatfield & McCoy trail system and the fact that those towns allow you to drive the streets in your UTV/ATV.

Seth14

Seth14

Oct 30, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed with others on here! Loved riding down there. Wasn’t ready to come home! Unloaded the quads (what we had at the time) and never got back in a vehicle to go anywhere. We made the time to check out Matewan and the massacre site, it was neat to see because of the history. Matewan was a neat little town in general. Wife and kids did an airboat ride there on the river. You’ll like it! I can’t wait to go back!

Seth14

Seth14

Oct 30, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, and I specifically remember being down there and realizing right away that I was not going to be buying a 4 seater Polaris ever! 😂 watching them do 3 point turns on the switchbacks did it for me. At that time the only thing I saw down there that I liked for a family utv running the trails was a Kawasaki Terex 4. That was pre P1K-5.

P

PalmettoFarmer

Aug 3, 2020
Providence, SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me and the wife stayed at matewan house in September. It was great. Breakfast was great, there's a Mexican restaurant and a BBQ place within walking distance too. Everybody was nice as can be. Gas station and grocery store1/2 mile away. The trailhead was across the road from the b and b too. We grabbed a paper map and just went. Trails are well marked and easy to navigate. Plus they have a wash down station and a gated area to park your machine. Like others said, I parked my truck and never cranked it back up until we left. One con is the railroad is directly behind the place. The first night was very busy, but after that the train came through twice a night I think.

Meant to mention. We took Buffalo Mountain towards rock house and saw devil anses grave, that was pretty neat

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!