futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Please be patient with an electrical noob (I don't even own a simple current tester).

I'm ready to start adding some electrical stuff to my P5. I'm not at all qualified or experienced enough in electrical knowledge to do it, but may try anyway.

Plans are for Power Steering and Winch (with aftermarket wireless remote) now with front and rear lights later. Figured I'd ask up front now about planning it out before starting. If there's a thread about this already I apologize. I see terms like buss bar, power block, relays, fuses etc. but it's mostly greek to me. I've never done any of this stuff before.

Is a power block a place to run power supply wires instead of to the battery itself? Is this the same thing as a busbar? Do I need an accessory panel?

I realize that my wanting to keep my under-hood storage tray will not help. Where to mount some of this stuff is a question I guess since it looks like many folks use that top frame member under the hood where my tray attaches.

I also want to add the Torq Locker. Should I do that first before putting the winch in the way? Strong Made front bumper already installed.

Guys, thanks much for any help/guidance you can provide.

Reactions: Morpheus
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Please be patient with an electrical noob (I don't even own a simple current tester).

I'm ready to start adding some electrical stuff to my P5. I'm not at all qualified or experienced enough in electrical knowledge to do it, but may try anyway.

Plans are for Power Steering and Winch (with aftermarket wireless remote) now with front and rear lights later. Figured I'd ask up front now about planning it out before starting. If there's a thread about this already I apologize. I see terms like buss bar, power block, relays, fuses etc. but it's mostly greek to me. I've never done any of this stuff before.

Is a power block a place to run power supply wires instead of to the battery itself? Is this the same thing as a busbar? Do I need an accessory panel?

I realize that my wanting to keep my under-hood storage tray will not help. Where to mount some of this stuff is a question I guess since it looks like many folks use that top frame member under the hood where my tray attaches.

I also want to add the Torq Locker. Should I do that first before putting the winch in the way? Strong Made front bumper already installed.

Although I haven't been able to purchase a Torq Locker I have read about it and watched a couple of install videos. I would say to install it before you install the winch without question. I watched the Appalachian Mountain Riders video on installation of the Torq Locker and he did remove his winch if memory serves. He also has some videos on upgraded electrical devices that may help. As far as electrical upgrades go I will be following this as I have little experience in adding lights and so on. Good luck!

Reactions: futzin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Yes, a power block is indispensable. It keeps your battery in better shape and cleaner. If you get a multi-position block you can easily add to your system without disrupting the battery and adding terminal ring after terminal ring to your battery posts. I recommend you use Blue Sea sense a lot of water splashes up under the hood. Also, solder all connections and use shrink tube over them to keep corrosion out.

Reactions: Mudwing and futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Although I haven't been able to purchase a Torq Locker

Yeah, website says out of stock. I will call them today.

Appalachian Mountain Riders video on installation of the Torq Locker

Yeah, I saw that. Jason is a hoot and a great resource. I'm grateful for his vids.

I recommend you use Blue Sea

Thanks for the link, but man there are several to choose from! Any suggestion on which one and where to mount it?
"Solder" and "heat shrink": two more things I've never done!

Thanks, gents.

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Oh yeah, I do have the Honda harness but don't know how to integrate that fella . . .

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Ordered EZ Steer and a Blue Sea block today.
Torqmasters says locker is a couple of weeks until available.
Traveling Sunday to retrieve the P5 from my buddy's farm (and to take down the feeder in prep for turkey season!).

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Easier to install locker before winch and bumper. Get a switched waterproof circuit breaker to install near the battery before running heavy wire to the front.

8931D424 8C2E 43D9 B5D9 F6EEB464B779

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Easier to install locker before winch and bumper. Get a switched waterproof circuit breaker to install near the battery before running heavy wire to the front.
Thanks. Yes, the winch is not on the table just yet; have not ordered one. You're meaning the circuit breaker for a winch, yes? Strong made bumper already on, so I'll remove that as needed.

Plan is to do the PS, then the locker, then the winch. Only the good Lord knows how this will go and how long it may take! o_O. Well outside of my (admittedly small) comfort zone. Good thing I have the Foreman if I want to actually ride!

Thanks guys!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I put the circuit breaker next to the battery to protect all downstream cable routed to a terminal block under the hood. Power your winch and Power Steering motor off that high amp terminal. Would also suggest the OEM sub harness for key-on power to the small PS controller wire. Check your max amps rating for the Blue Sea block when adding up other accessories. Having the switched capability for the high amp stuff like the winch, PS motor is a nice safety feature when working on those wires. I also used that direct-to-battery terminal to connect the battery tender dash plug. $30+ circuit breaker well worth the piece of mind to prevent an accidental direct short.

AF66A7AC BC61 4C2F 9BB1 04FB5511E0A1

Reactions: Mudwing and futzin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I put the circuit breaker next to the battery to protect all downstream cable routed to a terminal block under the hood. Power your winch and Power Steering motor off that high amp terminal. Would also suggest the OEM sub harness for key-on power to the small PS controller wire. Check your max amps rating for the Blue Sea block when adding up other accessories. Having the switched capability for the high amp stuff like the winch, PS motor is a nice safety feature when working on those wires. I also used that direct-to-battery terminal to connect the battery tender dash plug. $30+ circuit breaker well worth the piece of mind to prevent an accidental direct short.

View attachment 182757
Not sure why I’m not able to highlight just a portion of a post and reply to it since the new format, but what you said in the first sentence is the same thing I did and it works very well.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Got the power steering installed (and it even works!). Ran the power through a fuse block with 6 ga. from there to battery. Can't find my damn accessory harness! Drew power from the 12v plug.

Thank you SO much, guys!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Got the power steering installed (and it even works!). Ran the power through a fuse block with 6 ga. from there to battery. Can't find my damn accessory harness! Drew power from the 12v plug.

Thank you SO much, guys!
Did you buy a sub harness for the accessory power yet? Well worth it for 4 power leads, (max 15 amps total I think).

Reactions: Mudwing
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Did you buy a sub harness for the accessory power yet? Well worth it for 4 power leads, (max 15 amps total I think).

Thank you SO much, guys!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I spliced into 12v plug at first for key-on PS contact, then switched to sub harness after I got it. Just wish Honda had provided a high amp (6ga) connection under the hood. Even my ACE has a 3 post connection there for hi-amp, key on and ground posts.

Reactions: Mudwing
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Apparently, I put it somewhere where it would be safe, really safe! Annoying . . .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!