Plowing snow with p500

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
I'm looking at the Honda Pioneer 500, but have a concern if it would plow snow efficiently. With its weight, 476 cc engine, and open front differential (3 wheel drive), would it have enough power? How do the Hondas ATVs with a similar set-up do plowing snow-------although they are lighter? What would be the difference between belts and Honda's transmission for plowing snow? All the reviews I've seen are riding trails, but none for utility work such as hauling, plowing, etc. That would be a big part of what I want it to do. Thanks!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
the 500 will have plenty of power and traction to push snow the foreman power plant is proven i would chose it over a belt drive anyday

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I bought mine with plowing in mind! With the low gear and ungodly torque this has there will be no problem pushing any amount of snow!!

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
That is what I plan to do with mine too. The low end this thing has must to be experienced to be believed, it's got what it takes. I'm just now waiting for the mounts to become available.
Here's the response I just got (on 9-12-14) from FKI on their mount:
We are still waiting on final fit up of the prototype mount. Production has not started and when it does start the process should take 4 to 5 weeks. I can't estimate the date as of now because they have not been approved by our engineers for production yet.

Thanks,

Tech Consultant
Technical Help
KFI Products

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
Are you kidding? I plow with a two wheel drive Honda Recon and it does fine in most level situations. This pioneer 500 is a beast....excellent traction. I can't imagine it will have any problems plowing snow in even moderate up hill conditions.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
By the way, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I am serious. This P500 is amazing. I have been riding motorcycles and ATVs for 40 years. This thing climbs in mountains, rocks and even sand very well. I just got mine and the snow hasn't flown yet so I don't know specifics about plowing but judging by my years of plowing with a two wheel drive Honda recon, I can guarantee this p500 will kick but plowing snow and I get lots of it.

I have had this thing on sand dunes and it does fine. The problem with very large sand hills is you need speed and this has a rev limiter but I still managed to go almost everywhere I wanted even on soft deep sand (used 4x4). The mountain climbing traction and ability and agility of this p500 is awesome. I did some serious rock crawling in this thing up many miles of mountain trails yesterday and didn't even use 4x4! You will not be disappointed with a p500. However, if you want to race at 70mph and fly up a huge sand mountain, this is not the machine. Slow and steady climbing and great traction with this one.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
I am very happy with my P500. Does everything I want it to do and then some. I also don't need to be worried that my entire ability to drive is dependent upon a rubber band in the drivetrain.
By the way, that rack crawling pic does not do it justice. That was very steep and I was out guiding a path to keep us from rolling it!

Attachments

• 6tag_271014-185721.jpg
    6tag_271014-185721.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,975
  • WP_20141025_15_47_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141025_15_47_23_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,961
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Talk about diverse riding! Man I can't wait for my P500.

I plan to plow with mine as well. I plowed for years with a Brute Force and two Grizzlies. I never once used 4wd lock. Rock crawling is where you want locked axles no snow removal.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
doolin64 said:
Talk about diverse riding! Man I can't wait for my P500.

I plan to plow with mine as well. I plowed for years with a Brute Force and two Grizzlies. I never once used 4wd lock. Rock crawling is where you want locked axles no snow removal.

You are going to love the P500. It is amazing. My only complaint is how rough it rides. I am accustomed to a fairly cushy ATV ride. This will rattle the fillings out of your teeth on dirt roads and rough terrain.

D

Deano

Dec 4, 2014
Deano Are there any low cost snow plow mounts and push tubes out for the 500 yet.

advertisement
D

Deano

Dec 4, 2014
Deano, What do you rcomend front or mid mount for 500 snowplow.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Deano said:
Deano Are there any low cost snow plow mounts and push tubes out for the 500 yet.

KFI has a nice setup at a reasonable price. The winch mount is shown on their website, the plow mount not yet, but it is available. That, with their 66" wide blade is what I'm putting on my P500. I already have the Superwinch Terra 35 and the winch mount, the snow plow mount, push tube and blade are planned to be at my local dealer about 12-15. This is a front mount, BTW.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Deano, What do you rcomend front or mid mount for 500 snowplow.
Front mount is the way to go with a sxs. Pivot point is at the front so you can actually lift the blade to a good height and move snow way better. Eagle makes a very solid setup, bolt on mount plate with no drilling and very heavy duty.

Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Using mine to plow snow and it has worked great so far.. I went for a hydro angle kit so I never had to get out of the cab to change the plow angle and I am sure happy with it and glad I went with it.

Full
Full

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!