P1000 Poly snow plow v Steel plow blade

W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will be purchasing a plow setup for my P 1000-3 this fall. Any experience out there with the Poly blades? Currently looking at the open trail 72" plows and wonder if the extra $ for Poly is worth it

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your plowing consists of heavy snow and or ice then stay away from poly plows. They are nice and light but pokybjust can't take the same abuse steel can in a snow plow.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto @dweber23tr.
I don't have experience with poly, but I have 8 years of of heavy-duty use on my 72" steel Open Trail.
I'm at 8,000 feet in the mountains near Snowbird, Park City, and Deer Valley resorts.
It's handled super deep snow and ice on a road-base driveway, and I've full-stop hit ice ridges so hard that I came out of my seat.
It's still in great shape. I'm planning to go at least one more year before I flip the steel wear bar for the first time.

I've posted this elsewhere on this site, but if lifting a heavy steel blade is an issue - see my $25 setup below.
There are 3 caster wheels underneath this 2x4 and 2x8 dolly (small shims between the boards are out of sight).
It wheels into place - insert pins, attach winch, and you are off. Drop blade onto dolly, detach, and roll away when done.
During the summer I flip it blade down so it takes up less room.

View

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMO, the best alternative is a steel blade with a UHMW-PE liner. I lined my tractor front mount blower with it. UHMW (sometimes used for skid plates on SXS's, is the mechanically strongest plastic. It's also close to Teflon in terms of low surface friction, so snow is less likely to stick and clump up. Note that UHMW's coefficient of thermal expansion is much higher than the plow (or blower) blade it's attached to, so mounting points need to allow for this (e.g. I fixed one end and slotted the other end screw holes). 1/8" thick works well. On my blower is increase throw distance by at least 25%, but the main plus is the chute almost never gets plugged up with slushy snow.

Reactions: Buggyman
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Not a P1, but I run KFI's pro-poly (UHMW) blade on my P5. Its the same exact weight as their steel version, but it's about 6" taller. We don't get extensive snow here in central Ohio, but it's done just fine for what we get and I have zero concerns about its durability. I've probably used it to push dirt and brush just as much as I've used it for pushing snow and it shows essentially no wear. Even if it did, its $50 to replace the poly face which seems very reasonable to me. Plus, its slippery. I also have steel box wings on the side of the plow and bent the hell out of one my first time out by catching it on the end of a driveway.

Keep in mind, most folks run poly skid plates these days over steel and they're constantly getting raked over boulders, so there's that.

My 3 cents.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have had both a Warn steel plow and a KFI Poly Pro.

The snow doesn't pack up on the poly plow and have not had any breaks or problems after 3 years now.

I am way happier with my KFI Ploy Pro.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Separate from the OP, I appreciate hearing about people's experience with poly blades. Good to know. 👍

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Separate from the OP, I appreciate hearing about people's experience with poly blades. Good to know. 👍
Well said StewB. Lots of knowledge on this site. The snow in north east Washington is very dry for the most part. I am leaning to the poly plow at this time. Will run it up the flagpole with local dealer

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well said StewB. Lots of knowledge on this site. The snow in north east Washington is very dry for the most part. I am leaning to the poly plow at this time. Will run it up the flagpole with local dealer
Take a minute to buy your plow from Richard @ the Hondasxs.com store.
Support the forum and club store.

advertisement