P1000 Popping Main Fuse after swapping battery

SteveinUT

SteveinUT

Sep 12, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, the original battery died on my 2017 Pioneer 1000-5. I put a new battery in, and as soon as I connected the negative cable the main fuse pops. I guess I should mention I have an aux battery with an isolator, but nothing changed with that system, so I don't think it is the problem? I went to town, got a couple replacement 50A main fuses, but both popped when I put the negative cable on just like the first time. So, obviously something else is going on. Any guesses or anything I am doing wrong here? Thanks!

SteveinUT

SteveinUT

Sep 12, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jesus. You are right. I just checked it and this battery is reverse polarity of the factory battery. Same size and everything. I didn't bother checking it because I thought it was a direct replacement. Not so much... Thanks for helping me pull my head out of my ass!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Jesus. You are right. I just checked it and this battery is reverse polarity of the factory battery. Same size and everything. I didn't bother checking it because I thought it was a direct replacement. Not so much... Thanks for helping me pull my head out of my ass!
Happens to the best of us.
Fingered it was something simple

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very common for such batteries to have two otherwise identical models, one with terminals reversed from the other. Most often there's a slight difference in the model number. Cross your fingers no other damage done, and that critical circuitry has reverse polarity protection.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Knocked out the oil change and air filter while I was at it
Get you a snorkel kit with a pre filter and hopefully not have to change that pricy main filter again😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!