P1000 portal problems

W

westcoastbill

Oct 7, 2018
eureka, Ca.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
has anyone had issues installing the GDP 4" portals on their P1000 delux. Have rears installed and ran into issue with calipers rubbing rim and brake backplate that came with kit is preventing rim from contacting hub fully. Any ideas on rim size and offset to relieve this problem or leave offset as is and go up to a 16 or 17 inch rim? Had all my goodies for 3-4 months and just got some time to start putting it together.

goodies: tilt out windshield, full roof, offset front a-arms, 4" portals, folding mirrors, rear bumper, front bumper with 5k winch, rock sliders, a-arm guards front and rear, frame stiffener

future: dual batteries, backup lights, grab handles, stereo, ???

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I am not understanding your question, what offset are you running now or are you trying to run your stock wheels?
I am running 16 inch hurricanes with a 5-2 off set
I have already had some spacers cut out of aluminum then put longer studs in my hubs, you only do that if you need a 1/2 inch or less of clearance.

W

westcoastbill

Oct 7, 2018
eureka, Ca.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not understanding your question, what offset are you running now or are you trying to run your stock wheels?
I am running 16 inch hurricanes with a 5-2 off set
I have already had some spacers cut out of aluminum then put longer studs in my hubs, you only do that if you need a 1/2 inch or less of clearance.
I was trying to use stock rims and tires not knowing there would be an issue. Installation instructions don't mention the problem. I like the idea of just a shallow spacer and longer studs. Have a buddy who is a machinist and could get him to make some. Will measure to see how much space I need.

W

westcoastbill

Oct 7, 2018
eureka, Ca.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was trying to use stock rims and tires not knowing there would be an issue. Installation instructions don't mention the problem. I like the idea of just a shallow spacer and longer studs. Have a buddy who is a machinist and could get him to make some. Will measure to see how much space I need.
Just measured rim depth and hub face to backplate distance and looks like a 7/16" difference. Probably should go with a 5/8" spacer.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
5/8" sounds about right, I would also sleeve my tie rod ends I had done my right side one earlier and had not gotten around to doing my left one so I got to do it today, my 14 year old daughter called me and said she was crossing a ditch and the tires turned out this what I found. :)

IMG 20190209 151159838 IMG 20190117 094000488 HDR

W

westcoastbill

Oct 7, 2018
eureka, Ca.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5/8" sounds about right, I would also sleeve my tie rod ends I had done my right side one earlier and had not gotten around to doing my left one so I got to do it today, my 14 year old daughter called me and said she was crossing a ditch and the tires turned out this what I found. :)

View attachment 107679 View attachment 107680
sorry GPR, kinda left the forum for awhile and started back into my build. ended up ordering new rims and tires(efc moto mtc's 30x16x7) and sold rims and tires to son-in-law. looking at vent extension kits and a dual battery setup. got the isolator but need to find the right battery for that tiny recess that looks like is meant for the battery.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Sounds like my projects they can get long.
post some pictures when your done