P1000 Powering honda/Warn winch with a dual battery setp

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm rounding the clubhouse turn on my winch install. Replaced the bumper with the bumper/brushguard this AM and installed the Warn winch. (Not being an octopus, and having no help handy, my 120v Warn portable winch worked a treat. Just hoisted the brush guard into the air and rolled the machine up to it. Good thing, too, because even if I'd had help, at any given moment only 5 of the 6 bolts would line up. After much cursing and a little Dremel grinding work, finally got them all in at one time.) Thanks to all the good advice I've received here, I managed to route the wiring without dismantling the front end of the machine. (Thanks all!)

This PM, I even managed to get the factory ground cable run from the engine ground to the front of the machine, following the factory main harness, while removing minimal body parts. (Again, thanks! Just knowing it could be done helped me do it.)

So now all the wires are up under the hood. I'm ready to hook the engine ground to the winch relay. The winch install kit includes a battery cable that the instructions show running to the starter solenoid, but I have a dual battery setup with a True Am isolator, and I want to power the winch off the second battery.

Is it as simple as just running the hot side of the winch relay to the positive on the second battery? I presume there would be no power draw unless the remote winch swith is activated? (I also have a seondary Blue Seas fuse block, but I'm guessing I shouldn’t run the winch to that, too high an amperage draw, yes?)

Pretty basic questions, but my electrical knowedge is pretty basic, too!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes. Directly to the second battery. Not a bad question because it took me a little to figure that out. If you go any other route you limit the amount of power to the winch.

Reactions: GGreen and BWAF
G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes. Directly to the second battery. Not a bad question because it took me a little to figure that out. If you go any other route you limit the amount of power to the winch.
Thank you, sir! I'm on it this AM, so I should have an operable winch today! (Or a smoking lump of melted plastic and charred steel, if I messed up any of my other wiring. :) )

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, sir! I'm on it this AM, so I should have an operable winch today! (Or a smoking lump of melted plastic and charred steel, if I messed up any of my other wiring. :) )
Lol

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol

Success! (Defined as, "The winch works as it should, and nothing caught fire.") Momentary heartbreak on the first try when nothing happened. Checked power at the relay and had no voltage, then realized the machine needed to be running. Started it up and, Hey, Presto!, a working winch! Despite the fact that it's a kit, and I basically just followed instructions, and lots of good HSxS advice, feeling unreasonably satisfied with myself.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Success! (Defined as, "The winch works as it should, and nothing caught fire.") Momentary heartbreak on the first try when nothing happened. Checked power at the relay and had no voltage, then realized the machine needed to be running. Started it up and, Hey, Presto!, a working winch! Despite the fact that it's a kit, and I basically just followed instructions, and lots of good HSxS advice, feeling unreasonably satisfied with myself.
Well done sounds like your luck is as good as mine . But ya know the sun even shines on a dog's ass every once in awhile .Lol sounds like a beer 30 to me

Reactions: Mudwing
G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now it's on to puzzling out how to add a winch in/winch out dash rocker switch into the circuit. There may be a fire in my future yet.

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now it's on to puzzling out how to add a winch in/winch out dash rocker switch into the circuit. There may be a fire in my future yet.
They're pretty simple. Go to otrattw.com and get one. Then just tie in a couple wires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GGreen and BWAF
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nope its built in to the control box. Wire it into the same wires you're already using for your current switch.

This is confusing, my dual battery set up I just powered up fuse block and winch ran winch control wires to fuse block and works great?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is confusing, my dual battery set up I just powered up fuse block and winch ran winch control wires to fuse block and works great?
That's not how you do it sir. What's your switch wired to?

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nope its built in to the control box. Wire it into the same wires you're already using for your current switch.

"I see", he said, "as he picked up the hammer and saw."

Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's not how you do it sir. What's your switch wired to?

My aux battery powers a fuse block that the switches are tied into and the main power to the winch is wired to the aux battery like stock. I run all my accessories off this fuse block. That is powered by my aux battery. There is nothing running of my primary battery, that isn't stock draw. I've got my whips, light bar and winch all powered by the aux battery. I forgot to mention I'm running a battery isolator.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My aux battery powers a fuse block that the switches are tied into and the main power to the winch is wired to the aux battery like stock. I run all my accessories off this fuse block. That is powered by my aux battery. There is nothing running of my primary battery, that isn't stock draw. I've got my whips, light bar and winch all powered by the aux battery. I forgot to mention I'm running a battery isolator.
When you run the winch is the power carried by the switch or is it run through a solenoid?

Reactions: BWAF and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When you run the winch is the power carried by the switch or is it run through a solenoid?

Has to go through a solenoid unless you have one heck of a controller, fuse block. All I did was switch winch main power source from one battery to another and use aux battery to power the switch, through a fuse panel. I didn't come up with this plan, I looked at @my99svt wiring and copied it. If you are ever around him, ask to look at his wiring, looks factory!

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!