PPEI Tuning - Turbo Talons

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all,

I reached out to PPEI to chat about getting a tune for my Talon with the KraftWerks turbo kit. I'm being told they don't offer one for the talons, specifically turbo talons. I remember reading some of the guys here had tunes from PPEI. Curious about what your experience has been with PPEI and tuning. Thanks in advance

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm related to Kory by marriage. He's still OK to talk with at family gatherings. He knows his stuff!!! His right hand tuner, Eric, is also a very down to earth guy. Eric is the person who ran my Talon on their dyno to test the intake pre-filter. He knows his stuff too!!!

They dyno tune machines then run them, make fine adjustments on the dyno and rerun them until they are satisfied that the dyno and real world performances match. I've never heard of anyone dissatisfied with their tuning!

I'm not sure what the extent of their offerings are. They are constantly testing tunes so they many not be ready to release a Talon turbo tune yet.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm related to Kory by marriage. He's still OK to talk with at family gatherings. He knows his stuff!!! His right hand tuner, Eric, is also a very down to earth guy. Eric is the person who ran my Talon on their dyno to test the intake pre-filter. He knows his stuff too!!!

They dyno tune machines then run them, make fine adjustments on the dyno and rerun them until they are satisfied that the dyno and real world performances match. I've never heard of anyone dissatisfied with their tuning!

I'm not sure what the extent of their offerings are. They are constantly testing tunes so they many not be ready to release a Talon turbo tune yet.
Thanks for the reply, I was under the impression they were offering tunes for machines. This may not be the case then, even though I know folks here received tunes by them (may have been an in-house situation though). Hoping others chime in and provide their experience, not sure if I'm dealing with the right person at PPEI, maybe there are better contacts I should work with at PPEI.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks for the reply, I was under the impression they were offering tunes for machines. This may not be the case then, even though I know folks here received tunes by them (may have been an in-house situation though). Hoping others chime in and provide their experience, not sure if I'm dealing with the right person at PPEI, maybe there are better contacts I should work with at PPEI.
The only people that I know who are currently running their Talon tunes are racers. I'm sure they will have something available soon.
Kory can probably tune a golf cart to 200 HP!! He's been tuning on trucks since he was in high school.

• Haha
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey all,

I reached out to PPEI to chat about getting a tune for my Talon with the KraftWerks turbo kit. I'm being told they don't offer one for the talons, specifically turbo talons. I remember reading some of the guys here had tunes from PPEI. Curious about what your experience has been with PPEI and tuning. Thanks in advance
Until 10 days ago, there was only 2 KW turbo Talons (prototypes) in existence and I doubt PPEI got their hands on either of them so they won't have tunes for the KW turbo system for a while.

Didn't KW provide a tune for you?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Until 10 days ago, there was only 2 KW turbo Talons (prototypes) in existence and I doubt PPEI got their hands on either of them so they won't have tunes for the KW turbo system for a while.

Didn't KW provide a tune for you?
They did, however hearing people having some issues with the tune. I'll try it out later today or tomorrow and see how my tune goes. Hoping it's all good though, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda did some crazy crap with the ECU and the altitude compensation no longer works correctly when you get away from the stock tune (it barely works with the stock tune). I think (just like the original JR tune) if you are below 3,000 feet you will run fine. If over 3,000 you will run too rich. It took JR 6 months to figure it out and get it running decent above 3,000 feet and KW may take just as long.

Problem is that these 2 companies are near sea level. They dyno at less than 1,000 feet and don't do extensive tuning at high altitude. They make it as high as Sand Hollow (3,200 feet) for road tests and run good and assume the altitude compensation will take care of it from there and it does not.

I have a ton of tunes and none of them work worth a s*** where I ride (5,000 to 13,000 feet) and the AFR gets so rich at 13K my machine barely even runs. My wideband tells me why. Stock AFR is about 13:1 at 10K feet, all my so called "high performance" tunes go richer and richer as the altitude increases and are running at 10 to 11.0:1 at 10K feet and all that is doing is making it run bad and wasting fuel on a naturally asperated motor.

As soon as I go to Sand Hollow, those "HP" tunes do provide a little added power but that is not normally the altitude I ride at.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!