P1000 Premature Battery Failure

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I received my new '21 P1000-5 SE around June of 21, now has only 650 miles on it. Kept garaged and much of the time with a Battery Tender maintainer connected. There are no "phantom loads" or faults that would drain the battery when the charger isn't connected. There is also an aux battery and True isolator installed. After about a week with trickle charge disconnected, the battery failed to start the sxs (this was in about 50 degrees. I used a lithium jump starter to get going. Upon putting the machine away, after some 15 minutes of use, I connected the battery maintainer which almost immediately indicated the battery to be at full charge, and it switched to maintenance mode. A week later the battery charger was removed for a few days . . . to charge another vehicle. Then again the battery failed to start the vehicle, turning over only slowly, and then solenoid clicking - DOA.

My diagnosis, defective battery - early death. Pb batteries don't like to be stored discharged, especially in warmer temperatures. At normal temperatures, a battery will discharge about 5% a month. The longer the storage and the lower the charge state becomes, this brings an increased risk of permanent damage due to plate sulfation which increases as the charge state gets lower. Batteries should be charged, topped up at least every 6 months during extended storage. I'm thinking that due to all the shipping delays Honda has experienced and continues to experience, this battery, and no doubt others, were in storage long enough that it resulted in sulfation and permanent loss of battery capacity. I ordered a new battery.

If you have a newer P1000 and experience a dead battery for what appears to be no good reason, this may be why.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I received my new '21 P1000-5 SE around June of 21, now has only 650 miles on it. Kept garaged and much of the time with a Battery Tender maintainer connected. There are no "phantom loads" or faults that would drain the battery when the charger isn't connected. There is also an aux battery and True isolator installed. After about a week with trickle charge disconnected, the battery failed to start the sxs (this was in about 50 degrees. I used a lithium jump starter to get going. Upon putting the machine away, after some 15 minutes of use, I connected the battery maintainer which almost immediately indicated the battery to be at full charge, and it switched to maintenance mode. A week later the battery charger was removed for a few days . . . to charge another vehicle. Then again the battery failed to start the vehicle, turning over only slowly, and then solenoid clicking - DOA.

My diagnosis, defective battery - early death. Pb batteries don't like to be stored discharged, especially in warmer temperatures. At normal temperatures, a battery will discharge about 5% a month. The longer the storage and the lower the charge state becomes, this brings an increased risk of permanent damage due to plate sulfation which increases as the charge state gets lower. Batteries should be charged, topped up at least every 6 months during extended storage. I'm thinking that due to all the shipping delays Honda has experienced and continues to experience, this battery, and no doubt others, were in storage long enough that it resulted in sulfation and permanent loss of battery capacity. I ordered a new battery.

If you have a newer P1000 and experience a dead battery for what appears to be no good reason, this may be why.
Interesting
I think you might be on to something

Reactions: Buggyman and CID
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not on my Honda but I have had this happen before. I cleaned the terminals up and fixed it. I know this may not be your problem but I didn't think it was mine either, my terminals looked super clean. Check grounds also. Grounds can do funning things. Did you put a meter on the battery at any time? When you get the old battery out put in on the charger till charged, meter it, and let set a week and meter it again. Or take it and have it tested at the auto store. I've also bought bad batteries before. Bought a $450 factory tractor battery that only lasted 18 months. That sucked. Thank God it was pro-rated.

Reactions: Buggyman
H

HondaTech

The problem with Battery Tender branded battery maintainers are that they will show a green light or "good" when it reaches a certain voltage.

They dont tell you if the battery has any capacity or will hold a load. A Optimate brand or similar battery maintainer will desulfate (if needed) and test the battery and display the state of the battery, not just that its reach a certain voltage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!