Pulling the little hair i have left

E

Eganmancan

Dec 16, 2020
Lafayette
Ownership

1. 700-4
2019 honda pioneer 700 cranks and runs till it warms up then dies out. Once it cools down it will start and run till it warms up. After checking into it i have no fuel coming out of the injector. Changed fuel pump and injector still doing same thing. After it dies it will run on starting fluid.

Reactions: TxDoc
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2019 honda pioneer 700 cranks and runs till it warms up then dies out. Once it cools down it will start and run till it warms up. After checking into it i have no fuel coming out of the injector. Changed fuel pump and injector still doing same thing. After it dies it will run on starting fluid.
Check your injector wiring (wiggle/pull the wires while it is running) Club store sells pigtails to fix them where they commonly break.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

Welcome from Michigan. Looks like you already got the #1 suggestion on this.

Better post some pics of your buggy before our resident sheriff comes along and cites you for a violation of rule #4.

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan!
Youve been here 4 yrs so you know the drill when u first post. Pics
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Rule #4 violation as stated in post#4

You need to verify voltage at the injector when trying to start the rig. If u have voltage, no fuel and the pump has power and you verify fuel out of the pump, then you have bad injector.
If no voltage at the injector and the pump is working, then you need to trace it back to the source of power for the injector. This is typically the injector harness. Sometimes wiggling it will not show symptom's.

Reactions: Backwoods and TxDoc
E

Eganmancan

Dec 16, 2020
Lafayette
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Michigan. Looks like you already got the #1 suggestion on this.

Better post some pics of your buggy before our resident sheriff comes along and cites you for a violation of rule #4.

That was my next thought
What about pgm fi ? Could that be the problem? It gets good fire just no fuel to injector. Can anybody give me a detailed process to checking the stator.
Welcome from Michigan!
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

You need to verify voltage at the injector when trying to start the rig. If u have voltage, no fuel and the pump has power and you verify fuel out of the pump, then you have bad injector.
If no voltage at the injector and the pump is working, then you need to trace it back to the source of power for the injector. This is typically the injector harness. Sometimes wiggling it will not show symptom's.

1000000384 1000000364

E

Eganmancan

Dec 16, 2020
Lafayette
Ownership

1. 700-4
What about pgm fi ? Could that be the problem? It gets good fire just no fuel to injector. Can anybody give me a detailed process to checking the stator.

View attachment 436398 View attachment 436402
Welcome from Michigan!
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

No power to injector till it cools down. After a few minutes it gets power and will fire up. Sorry about the pics i didn't know. This first time posting on here

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Sorry about the pics i didn't know. This first time posting on here
LOL! No need to apologize and don't worry about that too much. It's not REALLY a rule ... (don't tell that to @Remington) ... it's just something we hassle people about as part of the "welcome" process ... 😄

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No power to injector till it cools down.
How are you verifying this?
Its possible its that. But your jumping all over the place to the difficult stuff out of the gate. Verify (correctly with a meeter) first the easy stuff then move on to the next or you will beat yourself up. Work smarter not harder.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
For the 700 stalling after warm, things I remember reading about are:
  • bad grounds(#1)
  • cracked spark plugs
  • ignition switch
  • plugged air filter
  • blocked muffler
  • seatbelt switch problems
  • weak/bad battery
  • and the bad one, cam problems
As @Remington mentioned, have a plan.
Are you following the Symptom Troubleshooting?
Page 4-3 in the Service Manual
Did you check for any stored codes?
Page 4-12 in the Service Manual

That (special tool)service connector is just a jumper wire.
4pin Honda Pioneer 1000 harness end

Have a good day

E

Eganmancan

Dec 16, 2020
Lafayette
Ownership

1. 700-4

Its possible its that. But your jumping all over the place to the difficult stuff out of the gate. Verify (correctly with a meeter) first the easy stuff then move on to the next or you will beat yourself up. Work smarter not harder.

On my way home now I'll double check wires and inject

Ok this is what i come up with using multi meter. One probe on one side of injector plug and other probe on - post of battery i get 12.4 volts.move probe to opposites side of plug and + post and get .53 volts. Both probes one on each side of plug and get .52 volts. I got same reading before i cranked it up and after it got hot and stalled

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just thought of something I forgot to add to above.
I have read that the COMPUTER will not let the injector work if a fault is detected.
In other words, it will not send power to the injector if the computer detects a fault.
IF that is happening, you will have a stored code.
Have a good day

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Eganmancan
I couldn't quote your post cuz u blended it in my post lol.
Anywho….so when u got .54V on either side, im assuming you had the other meeter lead to a good ground? The diagram above is good and will help you

Another easy thing to check with such low voltage like @Mark in Northern Iowa said, the grounds. Remove and clean them very good. Its a good maintenance thing to scratch off your list. Also, bench test your battery with a load checker and clean the terminals. You can have good standing voltage with a meeter but could have a cell taking a $hit and you may never see it. All easy must checks before moving forward.
I dont think u stated the miles and how old that battery is?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
@Eganmancan
I couldn't quote your post cuz u blended it in my post lol.
Anywho….so when u got .54V on either side, im assuming you had the other meeter lead to a good ground? The diagram above is good and will help you

Another easy thing to check with such low voltage like @Mark in Northern Iowa said, the grounds. Remove and clean them very good. Its a good maintenance thing to scratch off your list. Also, bench test your battery with a load checker and clean the terminals. You can have good standing voltage with a meeter but could have a cell taking a $hit and you may never see it. All easy must checks before moving forward.
I dont think u stated the miles and how old that battery is?
not related but I have an 02 rubicon/foreman 500 from my buddy that I have about 30 hours into trying to make a spark - cleaned grounds\ecm board, etc. and down to pushing pins through each end of the wires to check for continuity through connectors, digital display is dead but oil\neutral lite all work p have good peak voltage from crank trigger, neutral switch, tested stator, etc. bad news is the CDI is built into ECM - trying to convince myself its not the ECM but running out of things to clean\check\verify - there is a new VR installed but my moron buddy has 2 more to drop off and cant remember which one was which and if any were bad - lol :(.

it never ends

E

Eganmancan

Dec 16, 2020
Lafayette
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok so checking into it a lil more when it gets hot i have no fuel pulse at injector or no spark at plug wires. When it cools down it will fire up. Checked and cleaned the grounds behind fuel tank

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok so checking into it a lil more when it gets hot i have no fuel pulse at injector or no spark at plug wires. When it cools down it will fire up. Checked and cleaned the grounds behind fuel tank
Any codes?

Reactions: TxDoc
advertisement