P1000 Put 100 miles on the p1000 at windrock

P

Pioneer1k

Oct 18, 2015
So I picked up a red deluxe model and took it straight to windrock and hit the rocks. This my first Honda I am a Polaris guy I have had many rzrs and currently have a rzr 1k my riding style is on the insane level I usually go to parks just to do bounty hills and I have been up most of the infamous hills in country. So I gave the pioneer a pretty good test at windrock. I bought this as a family car, hunting vehicle and to tow the rzr back to the truck lol. This machine is very smooth shifting and very quiet. Suspension is a little stiff at high speeds over rocks. It's has plenty of power. It will run 35mph in low and 65 in high.
You can shift from low to high on the fly once you reach 6th gear in low it won't let you shift it before. The doors rattle a little bit and it has a little more engine vibration at idle than a rzr but that is very minor. Headlights are good better than the led rzrs. Power steering is very nice you get zero feedback from hitting rocks or bumps. The thing that made the biggest impression was how smooth the transmission shifts and how is shifts at the rights times and holds the gear at the right times it's like it reads your mind. I was expecting it hunt of gears or try to up shift or downshift at the wrong time but I never had it get confused or miss shift. I could engine brake all the way down the paved road off the mountain I drove it in high 2wd locked most of the time it was dry and i only used 4wd and low 1 time on a pretty crazy hill.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 472
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club @Pioneer1k,
I know you have more pictures.... And you know we want to see.
Funny you said that about the Honda LED's are better then the Polaris LED's. I would not have expected that as there made by the same company. But I guess Honda and Polaris both have there own specs thrown into the mix.
Being a extreme riding Polaris guy, I'm glad you gave it a healthy run and returned with such a good review. Minus a few minor things that a radio will fix. lol. Did you try any difficult places at windrock? How did it handle?
I hope you can continue to share your experiences here.

I expect my P1k to arrive any day and I can not wait!

Thanks a bunch.

jtice

jtice

Oct 19, 2015
West Virginia
www.jtice.com
I am getting ready to purchase my first sxs, and waiting for the P1000 to make it to my local dealer so I can try it out. Though that test ride will basically be down the road and back.
I test drove a RZR 900 the other day, they were having a demo day, so I got to take it on a trail.
I was impressed with how smooth it rode and how nimble it was. But, its hard to explain, I feel like I am just not getting much for my money when compared to something like the P1000. Plus I have more faith in Hondas reliability. I like that the Honda seems to be more usable overall.

Since you also own a RZR I would love to get your advice on the P1000.
Whatever I get, I will be driving fairly agressively. But, nothing too crazy, not jumping it up crazy insane hill climbs.
But I do want to hit some rather techincal and difficult trails, places with lots of rocks, or ruts.
I come from a Jeep background, and like hitting challenging sections.
But I want to drive fairly sporty on the typical dirt road trails, few power slides here and there.

I know that the RZR may be better suited for that, at least if you are wanting to do everythign at a fast pace, but, is the P1000 decent at it also? Enough to really have some fun with it?
Do you feel you could comfortably and funnly follow some RZR guys on trails if they werent doing anything insane?

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I am getting ready to purchase my first sxs, and waiting for the P1000 to make it to my local dealer so I can try it out. Though that test ride will basically be down the road and back.
I test drove a RZR 900 the other day, they were having a demo day, so I got to take it on a trail.
I was impressed with how smooth it rode and how nimble it was. But, its hard to explain, I feel like I am just not getting much for my money when compared to something like the P1000. Plus I have more faith in Hondas reliability. I like that the Honda seems to be more usable overall.

Whatever I get, I will be driving fairly agressively. But, nothing too crazy, not jumping it up crazy insane hill climbs.
But I do want to hit some rather techincal and difficult trails, places with lots of rocks, or ruts.
But I want to drive fairly sporty on the typical dirt road trails, few power slides here and there.

I know that the RZR may be better suited for that, at least if you are wanting to do everythign at a fast pace, but, is the P1000 decent at it also? Enough to really have some fun with it?
Do you feel you could comfortably and funnly follow some RZR guys on trails if they werent doing anything insane?
Of course it will keep up with a RZR on the trails, on roads or across the dunes mabye not. My old teryx 750 gets akong fine on muddy rutted up tr

Of course it will keep up with Rzrs on the trails and best part is you wont get covered in mud like someone on a rzr.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Hell I can keep up with rzrs in my p700. They have put me through some things that I looked at and thought for sure I wasn't gonna make it but I had no issues. The p1000 will not have any problems I wouldn't think.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here we rode all the trails at windrock that the razrs did last week. I'll post my videos when I have time. But I was very impressed with my 700. Buddy had a brand new wildcat sport that went with. And we went on quite a few of the difficult trails. We took our time but we didn't damage anything. But there were several razor 1000s that were getting towed back. The only thing I can figure is they must of been trying to hammer the trails to fast and broke stuff. They weren't to happy

P

posterboy

I come from a long line of Polaris... I have also been a Honda Lover for many years in the motorcycle and sport quad in my younger years. Hond anever had anything for sxs and I ended up going polaris Ranger 500 then the 800 then the 900.. I have always been waiting for honda to come out with something for me in the sxs. The Big Red was a flop. I was super excited about the 700 coming out until I rode it. Sorry guys but didnt cut it in the comfort department or power compared to the Ranger. The Ranger was fun to ride power wise as you could break the rear tires in a slide but the power steering was a dangerous challenge to get use to. Then theirs the falling apart issues with the rangers and stuff just not lasting. I heard about the 1000 coming out... watched the videos and was very skeptical about it because of the lack of power and ride comfort in the 700.

I finally got to see one for the first time at the AIMExpo in orlando and they had a test track to take it for a spin. Well if was a fun ride.. Very smooth and handled very well but I was not able to get on it as it was on a controlled course but like it better than what I had and pulled the trigger on the first one that the dealership got... Well.... Best purchase thus far.... this thing is amazing.... For a Utility it is scary fast... The shifting is epic... the handling is amazing... I have a small track with no jumps... just lots of turns... some pretty tight.. Loving it.... Grin from ear to ear every time I am done riding it.

I would not get a RZR.... I would get this machine... you will NOT be disappointed.... You basically get a True Utility sport machine.... When I get out of this thing I seriously have to look at it just to make sure it is actually a Utility Vehicle... No Lie... The only thing missing on this machine is an Oh Sh.t bar on the drivers side to cornering... :)

B

Brennon

Oct 17, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
I had mine at windrock last week too! Quick question on yours. I am having a hard time getting mine to go between turf mode and two wheel drive lock. Are you experiencing the same thing? Also mine will go into 4wd but the indicator light will take up to a minute to come on. Anyone else seeing this. I'm taking it to the dealer this am for the 100 mile service and have them look at these issues. Image

Reactions: Hondasxs
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
I also have a problem going from 2wd to 2 wheel lock. Not sure whats up and have not had alot of time to check it. Does a light come on to indicate 2wd lock? Guess i will read the book

B

Brennon

Oct 17, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
The light will come on when in 2wd lock. The problem is trying to get it out of lock. The light goes off but it stays locked.

advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine switches with ease. Only 8 miles on mine right now though.

P

posterboy

I had mine at windrock last week too! Quick question on yours. I am having a hard time getting mine to go between turf mode and two wheel drive lock. Are you experiencing the same thing? Also mine will go into 4wd but the indicator light will take up to a minute to come on. Anyone else seeing this. I'm taking it to the dealer this am for the 100 mile service and have them look at these issues. View attachment 7253
Shifting from 1 wheel to 2 wheel no issues.. I did notice a delay but I believe it was more of a move forward and then the light switched. I did not notice any change on indicators from 1 wheel to 2 wheel I will check next time. Keep us posted

B

Brennon

Oct 17, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
Image This is the actuator that pulls in the cable to lock the rear. As you can see in the pic it is not secured. It will just pop out by lightly pulling on it. It was like this when I looked at it. Can someone check and see if yours is the same way?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 274
P

posterboy

View attachment 7257 This is the actuator that pulls in the cable to lock the rear. As you can see in the pic it is not secured. It will just pop out by lightly pulling on it. It was like this when I looked at it. Can someone check and see if yours is the same way?
I looked as mine and switched it a few times. Mine is attached...but I can turn it... wondering if these are suppose to be loose... not like yours , but rotate?.. Mine is not tight but it is not doing what yours is doing...

I also played with the changing... It does take a bit for it to change... I think it is so many revolutions of the gearing. Turf Mode is just the rear two wheels lit on the display and when you go to possi 2 wheel it shows a lock under the wheel image.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like it for sure needs to be sealed and movement to actuate is lost in cable float.
Thinking back to when you first got it did you notice if it worked right then? Can you see if there are any impact marks from a long rock or stick?

J

Jeremiah80

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2015
Mine is acting the same I have 18 miles on

B

Brennon

Oct 17, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
It definitely has not been damaged in any way. I need to make a video and show you guys. I just drove it all over the yard in turf mode, the 2wd lock light is not on, but it is definitely locked and I have shredded grass to prove it. I was hoping my local dealer could help me out with this today. I took it in for the initial service only to be told they couldn't give me a price to do it because the 1000 is not in their computer system yet. After 45 minutes and them having to look at the owners manual that came with my machine I left and decided to do all maintenance myself. I'm gonna just drive 2 hours to the dealer I bought if from and have them look at this issue. I also need to have the door issue looked at. The passenger door has to lifted up to close, hoping they have a re-engineered door from Honda to fix it.

Let me just say overall I am very happy with the 1000, just need to get a few bugs worked out.

B

Brennon

Oct 17, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
Ok. Problem solved on the 2wd lock issue. For the rear end to open up and go into turf mode the cable has to be pulled tight, this way if the cable breaks it fails into locked mode. On my machine the cable was never pulling tight enough to take it out of lock mode all the time. Under the rear drivers side feet there is a small access panel to get to the cable mechanism. See the attached pic. The cable from the 4wd selector comes in the front and pulls on the adjustment bar which in turn pulls on the rear end cable. It had so much slop in it that it was never pulling tight. All I had to do was adjust out the slop and it works like a champ now. This is easily accessed by removing the cover and them 4 10mm bolts on this overly complicated cable junction box. This is also why my cable was basically falling out of the box.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool! Thanks for opening that up and shedding light on it. Is there inspection paint on any of those surfaces to show it was looked at before leaving the factory?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!