P1000 PVC speaker pods

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd share my DIY project for adding tunes to my P1k5.

Here's what I used.
6" PVC end caps (sewer and drain type with flat end)
6" PVC pipe (again, sewer and drain)
Polk Audio DB651 6.5" speakers
Kenwood M1824BT marine amp with bluetooth
Honda OEM ROPS clamps
speaker terminals and polyfill.

The amp came with a small dash-mounted bluetooth controller.

It's loud. really loud. could use some more bass, but not bad.

20160819 185008
20160820 155618
20160820 155447
20160820 160115

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you find those clamps did honda finally get them LoL

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Forgot to add this pic that shows how I got lucky with how well these match the silver on my P1K. I was gonna buy some black Krylon Fusion paint at Walmart since I've had good luck with it on plastic but I couldn't find any. They had some Rustoleum that says it bonds to plastic (we'll see) so I went with it in a dark gray. Not a bad color match.

20160821 150449

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thought I'd share my DIY project for adding tunes to my P1k5.

Here's what I used.
6" PVC end caps (sewer and drain type with flat end)
6" PVC pipe (again, sewer and drain)
Polk Audio DB651 6.5" speakers
Kenwood M1824BT marine amp with bluetooth
Honda OEM ROPS clamps
speaker terminals and polyfill.

The amp came with a small dash-mounted bluetooth controller.

It's loud. really loud. could use some more bass, but not bad.

View attachment 20622 View attachment 20623 View attachment 20624 View attachment 20625

Nice work...love the innovation.
Check out the P500 thread Vulgar Display of Power. Adding a sub isn't too hard and you have more room than me.

O

Oscar

Oct 2, 2016
Mascoutah IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like your setup. I'm trying to copy your speaker design. Is the 6" S&D pipe just used to make the cap wall thicker so you can run screws in to hold the speaker to the cap? Where did you mount the kenwood amp?

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like your setup. I'm trying to copy your speaker design. Is the 6" S&D pipe just used to make the cap wall thicker so you can run screws in to hold the speaker to the cap? Where did you mount the kenwood amp?

yes, the S&D pipe is just to increase the wall thickness so the screws have something to bite into. I wish I would have taken pics during my build process, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.
I mounted the amp way up under the dash behind where the "extra storage/second battery" spot in under the hood. I used zip ties to secure it up under there and so far so good on it not budging.

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Where did you mount your amp and how did you run the speaker wires? I was planning on doing this same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted the amp upside down up high under the hood... hard to see in the pics but I drew red arrows in MS Paint pointing to it. I just used zip ties to hold it up there.. it's solid and hasn't budged. In the second pic you can see the direction the speaker wires head toward the A-pillar.
Third pic just shows the path the speaker wires follow to the center bar.
Please don't judge my shoddy wiring. I didn't have enough wire loom when I installed everything and haven't gone back and redone it yet. LOL

On a side note, my phone updated the other day to Android 7, and for some reason the music sounds better now. Same EQ settings in Spotify and everything. There's more bass and it just sounds more full. Can't explain it but my brother-in-law noticed the difference as well.

I'm also planning on a subwoofer now that I have my dual battery setup. I've decided on a Rockford Fosgate P300-10. Since it is relatively small and has quick connectors for power and line-inputs, I'm going to make a pigtail harness that runs back to the bed so I can just remove the sub whenever I go on tougher/wetter rides or when I need the bed space, and then put the sub back in the bed when partying/cruising/hanging out.

Hope this helps.

20170505 161729 2

20170511 184807 2

20160924 160916 2

Reactions: dealer6
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Rockford Fosgate P300-10 subwoofer showed up yesterday. My measurements worked out nicely and it fits as planned. This spot in the bed looks like it was made for it. I can still have 1 rear seat up with the subwoofer in place. I'll be using a couple nylon straps to hold it in place. I also put some loop side (soft side) of the velcro it came with on the bottom and back where it contacts the bed to keep the scuff marks to a minimum.

Now I'm just waiting on my wiring to show up so I can get this thing hooked up.

20170515 173216 Medium
20170515 173156 Medium

Reactions: Koda and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The Rockford Fosgate P300-10 subwoofer showed up yesterday. My measurements worked out nicely and it fits as planned. This spot in the bed looks like it was made for it. I can still have 1 rear seat up with the subwoofer in place. I'll be using a couple nylon straps to hold it in place. I also put some loop side (soft side) of the velcro it came with on the bottom and back where it contacts the bed to keep the scuff marks to a minimum.

Now I'm just waiting on my wiring to show up so I can get this thing hooked up.

View attachment 43696 View attachment 43697

Very cool! Looks like there's room for two. :cool:

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couldn't wait for my wire order to show up so the other night I dug out some long rca cables and some jumper cables and rigged this up.... you know... for "testing purposes only". Took a while of listening to a variety of music types to get the gain, bass boost, crossover, and EQ on my phone all set up to my liking. I think I have it dialed in pretty good and everything sounds nice and balanced with no gaps in frequency. This thing is gonna rock for sure! :cool:

note my ingenious can-koozie insulator on the +12v lead :D
20170516 180807 Medium

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Couldn't wait for my wire order to show up so the other night I dug out some long rca cables and some jumper cables and rigged this up.... you know... for "testing purposes only". Took a while of listening to a variety of music types to get the gain, bass boost, crossover, and EQ on my phone all set up to my liking. I think I have it dialed in pretty good and everything sounds nice and balanced with no gaps in frequency. This thing is gonna rock for sure! :cool:

note my ingenious can-koozie insulator on the +12v lead :D
View attachment 43931

Need to post us a video to hear it. Kinda like pics or it didn't happen, video or it sounds like crap. :cool:

Reactions: moparornocar
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL... I'll try, but have you ever seen one of those video reviews of a subwoofer? Most you either can't hear it at all or it sounds like it's clipping because of a crappy phone mic. :p

Reactions: Jshell3 and trigger
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No video yet... I will get one eventually...

I did get everything wired the way I want it now... made a harness that contains 6 AWG power/ground, 16 AWG remote-turn-on, RCA signal wires, and the wire for the remote gain control knob. The harness will tuck up on the diagonal bar under the passenger headrest with velcro for when the subwoofer is not installed. I put a separate dash switch for the remote power-turn-on lead for the sub, and for the main power feed I have a 30A breaker that I can use as a power cutoff for when the sub is out of the buggy as well (safety first).

Cleaned up the wiring under the hood a little while I was at it. Next on the list is a couple of volt-meters for the dash... they arrived yesterday, but I have to pick up more female spade terminals before I can install those.

20170602 110925

20170602 110851

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No video yet... I will get one eventually...

I did get everything wired the way I want it now... made a harness that contains 6 AWG power/ground, 16 AWG remote-turn-on, RCA signal wires, and the wire for the remote gain control knob. The harness will tuck up on the diagonal bar under the passenger headrest with velcro for when the subwoofer is not installed. I put a separate dash switch for the remote power-turn-on lead for the sub, and for the main power feed I have a 30A breaker that I can use as a power cutoff for when the sub is out of the buggy as well (safety first).

Cleaned up the wiring under the hood a little while I was at it. Next on the list is a couple of volt-meters for the dash... they arrived yesterday, but I have to pick up more female spade terminals before I can install those.

View attachment 45391

View attachment 45392

Took a short ride today and showed my boys how a metal detector works. We found a few .45 bullets and brass and a big oil filter that was down abowt 5 inches.

Here's a few videos of my sound setup out in the open.. I took a 3rd but just got notified by YouTube that it violated copyright restrictions.. was Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult (gotta have more cowbell) Lol. Must be damn good sound quality for it to violate copyrights. Haha.

Antyway... these 2 are still on there so listen and enjoy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!