YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do all the P700's shift rough in automatic mode? I understand that using paddle shifter's can make it smoother, but on the base models how do they shift in auto? I ran across a sweet deal on a 700 and got the chance to drive it for a day. It seemed like a great rig but shifts hard. The selector moves just fine, but it up shifts rough and down shifts are violent enough to bust a spleen. I've had my mind set on a P1000 for a while now and test drove one that shifted smooth as butter. All I'd use it for is running fence, checking cattle, and the occasional trail ride so a P700 base would do all I need and the price is fantastic. Not wanting this to turn into a 700 vs 1000 thread, but is the hard shifting just the nature of the beast for the 700's?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
yep,you learn when it shifts and control it better over time

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
you must have test drove a new model, I can't speak for them as I have a '15 model (without paddles) and they do shift rough but like @swsebek get used to it.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My 15 has about 550 miles on it, It shifts smooth. Only thing is when it is cold sometimes it won't upshift. But if you let it warm up 2 or 3 minutes it will shift fine.
I have noticed that under some conditions it will downshift a little soon and cause you to be jerked forward.
Wonder if it has the correct oil in it?

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Do all the P700's shift rough in automatic mode? I understand that using paddle shifter's can make it smoother, but on the base models how do they shift in auto? I ran across a sweet deal on a 700 and got the chance to drive it for a day. It seemed like a great rig but shifts hard. The selector moves just fine, but it up shifts rough and down shifts are violent enough to bust a spleen. I've had my mind set on a P1000 for a while now and test drove one that shifted smooth as butter. All I'd use it for is running fence, checking cattle, and the occasional trail ride so a P700 base would do all I need and the price is fantastic. Not wanting this to turn into a 700 vs 1000 thread, but is the hard shifting just the nature of the beast for the 700's?

When I had my 700 it shifted kinda rough. I switched to Honda synthetic oil and it was much better. A lot less jerking between shifts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bdk437 and Tflynn
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I had a pioneer 700-4 2014 and put about 1200 miles on it. It did shift smooth for me if you did not push on the peddle hard but if you would floor it it would shift hard. Down shifts wasn't that bad.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
When I had my 700 it shifted kinda rough. I switched to Honda synthetic oil and it was much better. A lot less jerking between shifts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second this. Synthetic oil helps smooth the shifting out a noticeable amount.

CAB72701

CAB72701

Apr 9, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do all the P700's shift rough in automatic mode? I understand that using paddle shifter's can make it smoother, but on the base models how do they shift in auto? {snip} Not wanting this to turn into a 700 vs 1000 thread, but is the hard shifting just the nature of the beast for the 700's?

Although I've ridden motorcycles for years, I'm a noob in the ATV/UTV world with my 2016 PK1000-3 I got last week. I have a similar question. Running in High, sifting is pretty smooth, but Low seems to shift pretty hard both up and down. I figure I fall into that Grandpa & Grandma driver category AKRider mentions, but I bought this thing for work on mostly wooded rocky hillsides. While I'll be using it like a tractor, I don't want to be crawling from work spot to work spot. I was advised to use the Low setting for driving under 35MPH because of clutch "confusion" and risk of burning out the clutch.

I was also told to try not to go over 3000rpm for the first 100 miles. When in Low, it's not upshifting until around 4000rpm. Although the engine is really scream'n at this RPM, the redline isn't until 8000. From my Honda motorcycle riding, 3000rpm was way down on the power range (not like my Harleys).

I'd be interested in hearing comments and advice from those of you more experienced PK1000 drivers out there.

TIA

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!