Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NO HEAT SHIELD! I think mine has Two or maby even Three

Mine has heat shields from just past there back but not right by the floorboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat from the exhaust would be more wide spread I would think. Your hole has a distinct shape to it. More inclined to agree with the others that suggested something got caught underneath and caused this. The area surrounding the hole would be wavy if heat from exhaust did this. But I'm definitely no engineer so just guessing.

Reactions: Tigermark and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat from the exhaust would be more wide spread I would think. Your hole has a distinct shape to it. More inclined to agree with the others that suggested something got caught underneath and caused this. The area surrounding the hole would be wavy if heat from exhaust did this. But I'm definitely no engineer so just guessing.

The heat is focused in that area

A941200ab4207637b7d2ec7f353f29b2

It's very close to the exhaust but I'm leaning toward a secondary source that boosted the heat. Mine doesn't have a heat shield right there either, but trying to get it hot I haven't been able to get it over 200 which shouldn't melt plastic.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No signs of any burnt matter on the driveway when I washed it out and no sign of any burnt place on exhaust

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would certainly take it to the dealer and have them document it. If nothing else to cover yourself should something happen in the future. There have been a few reports of them burning and in the pictures I have seen they are so destroyed there is no way to determine a source. Honda make take this serious as it could show what has caused the fires in other rigs, however if you get it documented you have a pretty good source to push should yours burn in the future. Document it well report it to Honda and file everything together just in case.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The heat is focused in that area

View attachment 53095

It's very close to the exhaust but I'm leaning toward a secondary source that boosted the heat. Mine doesn't have a heat shield right there either, but trying to get it hot I haven't been able to get it over 200 which shouldn't melt plastic.
Yes heat is in that area but look at the hot area in your thermo then look at the small hole. Big difference in area there. Just wierd that a larger area wasn't melted.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It melted it shouldn't of Honda should cover it. They need to put extra heat shield there.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes heat is in that area but look at the hot area in your thermo then look at the small hole. Big difference in area there. Just wierd that a larger area wasn't melted.

Low end FLIR temps are correct, checked against boiling water and other known temps.

White doesn't show gradient well it skips to black when it's out of range. AND it auto ranges based on majority of image so it's a narrow range.

19f346d82e5f5cf315ecab9961dfcf9a

Highest temp I could find was right where cross hairs are in my images.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Low end FLIR temps are correct, checked against boiling water and other known temps.

White doesn't show gradient well it skips to black when it's out of range. AND it auto ranges based on majority of image so it's a narrow range.

View attachment 53107

Highest temp I could find was right where cross hairs are in my images.

Looking at your images that looks to be exactly where the hole is

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at your images that looks to be exactly where the hole is

Yeah but melting point of HMWPE is over 265-280F and 200 is highest I've ever had it's usually around 150 or less when I've run it hard and measured it.

Under heavy constant load climbing mt at speed?? I can't duplicate that here no grade long enough I can drive pioneer on.

N

nsolimini

Apr 8, 2016
Lakeland, FL
I wonder if this could be something? Wasn't there someone on the facebook group who claimed their pioneer caught fire? I wonder if something like this was the culprit.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if this could be something? Wasn't there someone on the facebook group who claimed their pioneer caught fire? I wonder if something like this was the culprit.
I seen that. According to them it was just parked at their residence. If I remember right it was totally cold. Hadn't been driven recently.

Reactions: JTW
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ohanacreek, nice camera. Are you a thermographer? In my years of predictive maintenance using primarily vibration technology, I did pick up a Level II Thermography cert from the Infrared Institute. Used FLIR equipment from way back when you had to chill'm with liquid nitrogen...LOL (Ya, I'm frigg'n OLD) I always preferred the "Iron" color scheme...Thanks for the thermo shots...

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ohanacreek, nice camera. Are you a thermographer? In my years of predictive maintenance using primarily vibration technology, I did pick up a Level II Thermography cert from the Infrared Institute. Used FLIR equipment from way back when you had to chill'm with liquid nitrogen...LOL (Ya, I'm frigg'n OLD) I always preferred the "Iron" color scheme...Thanks for the thermo shots...

Was that right after the pinhole cameras?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Nope I'm sales, we use them for various reasons.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Take it to your dealer so they can take pictures for a Honda report and compare the heat shield with another Pioneer. They can text the pictures to the Honda service rep and tech line.

Reactions: sharp and Koda
Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1135
Got my ride back from the dealer yesterday. They installed the cabin comfort kit and replaced the rear floorboar. The new one has a small piece of thermal heat barrier material on the back where the hole was burnt in the old one.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!