Rear paddle tires and front sand tire recommendations

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve been trying to find anyone who has put paddle tires on their Talon. What works well on a stock Talon, slightly modified, or full mod turbo Talon. 14” or 15”? I know rotating mass is a big deal, so light wheels are a must and beadlocks aren’t needed in the dunes as well. I like the STU Tributes to take advantage of the 4 wheel drive. STU also makes the “Blackbird” paddles, but I think that may be too much for a stock Talon. All input is welcome.

H

Hcrec

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I just came off the sand this weekend. New talon 1000x4. I run 32” tusk sand lite paddles and fronts on stock off set 15” rims. Ran great with no rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, I’ve been doing many hours of research on sand tire and wheel combo’s. The lighter you put on, the less power you lose and the better the suspension works. Less unsprung weight. Plus wheel offset is just as important. All vehicles come with the front wider than the rear. The same goes for UTV’s. Being wider in the front makes it steer better and helps prevent the car from diving into the corner. For you who don’t believe that’s true, try it both ways.
I think I have decided on the sandcraft 31” 10 paddle rear and their Mohawk front. They say the front mohawk digs in 4 wheel drive. I honestly don’t believe that at all. But these guys say wheel offset doesn’t matter either. If I could find a light weight front rib/paddle tire like the STU Tribute, I would put that on the front instead. The talon needs a lighter front end to help eliminate some of the nose diving over jumps, so heavy is not good.
As far as the wheels, I think I’m steering toward the DWT El Arco billet 15x11, and 15x8. I think they will get me the offset I’m looking for.

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
All good but how wide and tall can you go on paddles with taking away what little power we have to work with away and still be able to get into the higher RPM range where you can run fast or dig out of a bowl. Looking for paddles as well. Size to work with stock power. No turbo YET. THX

Reactions: DDCole
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I ended up getting the sand tires unlimited 1300 X15Padla trac on 11” wide wheels comp cut that are about 32” tall, and put comp cut STU tributes on the front. They work great without much power loss at all. It no longer hunts for front traction at the top of the dunes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!