Reason why Pioneer doesn't have ESP?

B

Boltzie42

Sep 16, 2013
Can someone explain why Honda engineers would choose NOT to incorporate the ESP into the new Pioneer when the same transmission has been in service for some time now in the Rincon? This seems to be a very logical option, especially when so many have asked for a transmission in a UTV that allows the driver to select the gear they want.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
That and a 4th gear would be sweet! I find myself cruising between 25-35 mph max because any more than that and the engine is screaming. Not that it hurts anything but it sure would be nice to cruise at a lower rpm. It has the torque for it. Same issue on my Foreman 400.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
I second the 4th gear. Cruise 37-39. Its a honda so im not worried about the rev's..yet it would be perfect if it shifted just one more time. The slow speed makes it easier to txt and drive though...on back roads of course

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The question I have is..... Can it be added?
I think the solenoid valves on the front side of the engine control the gearing. I had one get stuck on my Rincon and the engine was locked in third.
Why could it not be "hacked" and controlled?

Next question...
Who wants to donate there Pioneer for testing?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
The question I have is..... Can it be added?
I think the solenoid valves on the front side of the engine control the gearing. I had one get stuck on my Rincon and the engine was locked in third.
Why could it not be "hacked" and controlled?

Next question...
Who wants to donate there Pioneer for testing?
I kind of wonder if someone will come out with a kit...

I don't think the Big Red has ESP either. Maybe the added cost of adding paddle shifters to the wheel was too much...and Honda doesn't want you taking a hand off the wheel at speed for dash buttons.

Does the Pioneer really need manual shifting? From what I've heard, the shift mapping is very good.

Agreed with all: 4th gear would be nice!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!