HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I've always wanted a dirt bike but can't work the clutch. Thought about picking up a smaller cc bike that has the auto and just adding the taller bars, taller seat, big wheel kit, etc. but the cost to add all that deterred me. I had heard of the Rekluse clutch but thought it was basically an anti-stall versus a full on semi-auto clutch setup. @CumminsPusher do you have to use the clutch lever at all with the Rekluse? I've seen conflicting info when researching. I'm not trying to holeshot or work on my Supercross license, just trail riding in the woods with some friends. Looking at a couple early-mid 2000's CRF250.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No, never. I did buy the lever kit for mine tone still able to use it. Only did that because everyone rode it. Wouldn’t spend the extra cash again, that lever becomes useless.
if I were doing it all over and I just rode it I would move the rear brake up and switch front to left side. Be nice not to have that control from the bars. But I wouldn’t buy the clutch kit ever again. It would help you out for sure.
Rekluse is f***ing awesome! Takes a minute to get use to because you generally ride a gear higher. It’s the way to go. Clutching is so perfect every time and power hits ground better with much more hookup and control.
Btw it was installed 14 years ago then upgraded rekluse a few after that. All still good and original clutches still with 20k on the bike. Only negatives are no hill hold while bike is off on a hill and when pulling into camp ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN NEUTRAL. Had friends that want to hear it revved up and bike will be gone. Left it in 2nd idling once and a quick blip of the throttle my buddy launched it into the trees about 40 ft out. But it stopped on its side still running lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Adam490
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope, you don’t have to use the clutch but it’s left in place (the lever) so that you CAN use it if you see fit.

Just personal opinion wise, I’d learn he clutch on a small easy-to-ride bike like a TTR125L. I’ve ridden with the Rekluse and never really cared for them. The clutch just has allowed me to keep traction better in challenging terrain, loft the front end with little effort, and maintain the engine RPMs more effectively. But, I know a lot of folks love them. And granted, if you’re looking at a motocross bike for trail riding, the Rekluse will most likely improve a modern 4-stroke in those situations. I’ve just stepped back to smokers, and prefer the clutching.

Just FYI on the CRF250 you’re looking at...

If you’re looking at the CRF250R, the earlier years (2005-7ish, if I remember correctly) had soft valve faces. Mine was a 2005 and I had to rebuild and put a new head on it. I couldn't tell you the exact hours because I purchased it used, but from my understanding, it was common on the 250/450 around those years and the “fix” was kipplewhite heads/valves. When you start shopping, make sure to ask about a recent rebuild. Signs of the worn valves faces (normally it’s the exhaust valve side) include the exhaust valve being hard to adjust within spec, hard starting, and flameout. But the hard starting is usually the dead giveaway. You’ll kick and kick and it’ll be all you can do to get it fired up.

Good luck! No matter how fun a SxS is...nothing replaces the fun you’ll have on 2-wheels. Even more so when it’s a dirt bike.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For just putting around, check out a CRF230. I never thought I'd consider one, but a friend has one and I've ridden it a lot. Very light, electric start, peppy enough to be fun, soft trail suspension, air-cooled Honda reliability.

Then just learn to use the clutch. It's also fun to ride pit bikes. I had a KLX110. They are super overbuilt little bikes. Have to shift gears, but auto-clutch. You can build them up cheap for adult rider weight.

Is there some reason you physically can't pull the clutch with your left hand? If not, you can definitely learn!

Reactions: lee and Adam490
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For just putting around, check out a CRF230. I never thought I'd consider one, but a friend has one and I've ridden it a lot. Very light, electric start, peppy enough to be fun, soft trail suspension, air-cooled Honda reliability.

Then just learn to use the clutch. It's also fun to ride pit bikes. I had a KLX110. They are super overbuilt little bikes. Have to shift gears, but auto-clutch. You can build them up cheap for adult rider weight.

Is there some reason you physically can't pull the clutch with your left hand? If not, you can definitely learn!
Yes to your last question

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I lost my left arm in a car accident about 30 years ago, so it's the physical action of operating the clutch lever that is the problem. I've driven manual trucks/cars since I could drive, and would much rather shift my own gears using the clutch on a bike but it's not feasible.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I lost my left arm in a car accident about 30 years ago, so it's the physical action of operating the clutch lever that is the problem. I've driven manual trucks/cars since I could drive, and would much rather shift my own gears using the clutch on a bike but it's not feasible.
I’d love to see you enjoy a bike my friend. You’re an animal!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Nope, you don’t have to use the clutch but it’s left in place (the lever) so that you CAN use it if you see fit.

Just personal opinion wise, I’d learn he clutch on a small easy-to-ride bike like a TTR125L. I’ve ridden with the Rekluse and never really cared for them. The clutch just has allowed me to keep traction better in challenging terrain, loft the front end with little effort, and maintain the engine RPMs more effectively. But, I know a lot of folks love them. And granted, if you’re looking at a motocross bike for trail riding, the Rekluse will most likely improve a modern 4-stroke in those situations. I’ve just stepped back to smokers, and prefer the clutching.

Just FYI on the CRF250 you’re looking at...

If you’re looking at the CRF250R, the earlier years (2005-7ish, if I remember correctly) had soft valve faces. Mine was a 2005 and I had to rebuild and put a new head on it. I couldn't tell you the exact hours because I purchased it used, but from my understanding, it was common on the 250/450 around those years and the “fix” was kipplewhite heads/valves. When you start shopping, make sure to ask about a recent rebuild. Signs of the worn valves faces (normally it’s the exhaust valve side) include the exhaust valve being hard to adjust within spec, hard starting, and flameout. But the hard starting is usually the dead giveaway. You’ll kick and kick and it’ll be all you can do to get it fired up.

Good luck! No matter how fun a SxS is...nothing replaces the fun you’ll have on 2-wheels. Even more so when it’s a dirt bike.
Thanks. I noticed quite a few mid-2000's CRF with "recent rebuild" and "needs valves" in the listing.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks. I noticed quite a few mid-2000's CRF with "recent rebuild" and "needs valves" in the listing.
X versions have way less valve issues. Regardless though any of the titanium valve bikes should be switched out the stainless steel at first sign of problems, it’ll keep it dependable in the woods.
Id stay with Red if possible. Been there done that. But yes CRF 230 like been said is awesome bike, probably the best all around woods bike. We’ve owned 4 and still have 2. Not positive if Rekluse has done a setup for it, they hadn’t but were “looking into it” as of looking a couple years back so that’s a bummer. Also it’s e-start only with no kick like many Yamahas so make sure good battery because no bump start with auto clutch.

Reactions: hoghead76
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I kinda wondered if it was a situation like that. Hmmm.... that makes it a bit different. Maybe a klx 110 is something to consider.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
X versions have way less valve issues. Regardless though any of the titanium valve bikes should be switched out the stainless steel at first sign of problems, it’ll keep it dependable in the woods.
Id stay with Red if possible. Been there done that. But yes CRF 230 like been said is awesome bike, probably the best all around woods bike. We’ve owned 4 and still have 2. Not positive if Rekluse has done a setup for it, they hadn’t but were “looking into it” as of looking a couple years back so that’s a bummer. Also it’s e-start only with no kick like many Yamahas so make sure good battery because no bump start with auto clutch.
Not a lot of trails around here, so the local used market is slim pickings. I was leaning more toward the 250 because of aftermarket. My buddy picked up a nice 250X, which is what got me looking into all this.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I kinda wondered if it was a situation like that. Hmmm.... that makes it a bit different. Maybe a klx 110 is something to consider.
I would rather stick with Honda and a full size machine. I didn't care for how the smaller bikes felt and the added suspension travel on the larger bikes will really come in handy on the trails we would be riding.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@JTW what size bike did you have at Mulberry?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not a lot of trails around here, so the local used market is slim pickings. I was leaning more toward the 250 because of aftermarket. My buddy picked up a nice 250X, which is what got me looking into all this.
250x with auto is an awesome bike. Like I said 20k miles on my sons (mine till year before last) my daughters is 250x without auto but it’s a little big so she’s getting 230 again. (Hopefully if it goes right it’ll be mine shortly ;) and It’ll be Reklused too, but probably not all big bored and bad ass like my last:()

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
250x with auto is an awesome bike. Like I said 20k miles on my sons (mine till year before last) my daughters is 250x without auto but it’s a little big so she’s getting 230 again. (Hopefully if it goes right it’ll be mine shortly ;) and It’ll be Reklused too, but probably not all big bored and bad ass like my last:()
What's the difference in the Rekluse clutches? I see RadiusX, RadiusCX, and Core EXP 3.0

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What's the difference in the Rekluse clutches? I see RadiusX, RadiusCX, and Core EXP 3.0
I believe x is more basic, cx is more race driven and core is good all around. Ours has second gen Core.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, your situation definitely warrants an auto clutch then.

A buddy at our local riding club lost his left leg in an accident. He did teach himself to shift his previous TTR230 with his prosthetic (mad props to him for learning) but he said the competition bikes were too much to ride for him...until Alta came around and offered their E-bike. It had real suspension, full sized bike, and different riding modes and never required him to shift. He said it’s the perfect bike for him. I rode it and fell in love. Swore I would have one...then they went out of business. Super bummed about that. It’s so much fun to ride and only hear your tires hitting the dirt.

I know folks have offered a few options...Yamahas WR (the newer stuff) is a pretty awesome bike as well. Good support network for them and I would think their 250F engine would be a riot with the auto clutch.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Well, your situation definitely warrants an auto clutch then.

A buddy at our local riding club lost his left leg in an accident. He did teach himself to shift his previous TTR230 with his prosthetic (mad props to him for learning) but he said the competition bikes were too much to ride for him...until Alta came around and offered their E-bike. It had real suspension, full sized bike, and different riding modes and never required him to shift. He said it’s the perfect bike for him. I rode it and fell in love. Swore I would have one...then they went out of business. Super bummed about that. It’s so much fun to ride and only hear your tires hitting the dirt.

I know folks have offered a few options...Yamahas WR (the newer stuff) is a pretty awesome bike as well. Good support network for them and I would think their 250F engine would be a riot with the auto clutch.
I checked out the KTM e-bike and it is pretty bad ass. Only being able to ride for an hour and half is a buzzkill though, and it's pricey. There's a multi-dealer about 30 miles from me that deals more in dirt bikes, so I'm going to check out some of the other models next week. My local dealer is a Honda Powerhouse that only deals in Honda. I appreciate everyone's insight into this!

Reactions: michdave
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I believe x is more basic, cx is more race driven and core is good all around. Ours has second gen Core.
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Core 3.0... now to find a bike. Last time I did this I ended up on a brand new Rubicon because I couldn't find a decent used one.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All right my friend here you go. Didn’t have any gear but my cowboy boots on so went easyl. But use to riding like this taking vids or holding my beer lol. Keep in mind this bike is barely tame, it’s one of the few 250’s to out pull my friends 450’s. Rekluse makes it easy and enjoyable.

• Love
Reactions: BBLASER and Adam490
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!