P1000 Replacement Battery (Primary)

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been looking for a replacement for my GYZ16H Yuasa primary battery.

Option 1: New Yuasa GYZ16H for $85 240 CCA and 16AH of capacity

Option 2: MotoBatt MBYZ16HD for $118 240 CCA and 16.5AH of capacity (2 year warranty)

Option 3: Braille B14115 for $170 360 CCA and 15AH of capacity

Option 4: Antigravity ATX-12-HD RE-START for $260 480CA and 16AH of capacity

I didn't find an Odessy option that fits in the factory battery space. Options 1-3 are AGM and Option 4 is Lithium. I think Option 4 has some low temperature operating limits, however it does disconnect automatically when being discharged and reserves enough capacity to start. It seems like Option 3 is a high performance AGM and might be comparable to an Odessy battery.

Has anyone tried any of these options? Currently, I am leaning towards a new Yuasa and just making sure it is on a trickle charger whenever parked from more than 1 week.

Reactions: sharp
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I was looking to upgrade the battery on my 700 I was going to go with your first option, but decided to go with a YTX20H. It's 18 AH with 310 CCA and is about the same price $80 on Amazon. According to the Yuasa manual it is about 7/8" Long and 3/8" taller but it fit in my 700 with minimal effort. Don't know if this is a option, but it sure helped my 700 starting problems. Best of luck and good to see another Idaho Pioneer on the forum.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm definitely interested in opinions on this because it just seems the stock Yuasa battery barely has enough juice to get the machine running, especially when it's been sitting, cold and not on a battery tender.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been looking for a replacement for my GYZ16H Yuasa primary battery.

Option 1: New Yuasa GYZ16H for $85 240 CCA and 16AH of capacity

Option 2: MotoBatt MBYZ16HD for $118 240 CCA and 16.5AH of capacity (2 year warranty)

Option 3: Braille B14115 for $170 360 CCA and 15AH of capacity

Option 4: Antigravity ATX-12-HD RE-START for $260 480CA and 16AH of capacity

I didn't find an Odessy option that fits in the factory battery space. Options 1-3 are AGM and Option 4 is Lithium. I think Option 4 has some low temperature operating limits, however it does disconnect automatically when being discharged and reserves enough capacity to start. It seems like Option 3 is a high performance AGM and might be comparable to an Odessy battery.

Has anyone tried any of these options? Currently, I am leaning towards a new Yuasa and just making sure it is on a trickle charger whenever parked from more than 1 week.
I had option 1 as a second battery. It didnt last long. It got to where it wasnt even strong enough to play the radio.

Reactions: Remington and JTW
Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only way to fit a EXT20 might be turn the battery 90 degrees and then rework the hold down bracket for the added 1in of height. My primary concern is that the stock battery seems a bit sluggish when cranking in cooler temperatures or after sitting a couple of weeks. I suspect my factory battery was abused at the dealer given that I purchased a 2017 model new in December 2018. It was sitting in an overflow warehouse with 50 other sxs and I didn't see any provisions for trickle charging the batteries.

I have a 2nd battery that is isolated to carry the accessory load. I was contemplating the new Yuasa and a solenoid or battery disconnect switch to bypass the battery isolator. Generally, the 2nd battery will be charged and the added juice from the 2nd battery would definitely cover a cold weather start.

Has anyone installed a solenoid or battery disconnect switch in parallel with the isolator to link in the 2nd battery? Engagement of the solenoid could be a push to connect switch that had to be held down while cranking. I have seen a similar setup on a motorhome that linked the house batteries to the engine battery.

-Jeremy

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They have standard size and performance. The BXT-14 would fit, has Yuasa CCA, however has less AH capacity than Yuasa. BXT-20 might fit if rotated and battery bracket was modified.

I am thinking a Blue Sea battery switch for $40 and a new Yuasa is the most cost effective path given I already invested in 2nd battery. The battery switch would allow me to bypass the isolator in the event I need the 2nd battery for a start.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I ran a small Braille in my drag car and was a great battery. I do know my father was still using it at 8 years old. It sat for 2-3 years without being charged before he found a use for it in a boat. I have not had any luck with Shorai lithium batteries in my motorcycles.

Reactions: JTW
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the blue sea mini add a battery kit that I've been wanting to add to my rig but I haven't got it installed yet. The reason I bought it is you can combine the 2 batteries in a cold start situation and the acr will charge the other battery like the true isolator most other members are installing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to order a BlueSea 6006 and install it next to the True so that I can link both batteries together in a situation where I need to jump the primary with the secondary.

I am also testing my factory Yuasa battery. I have a volt/amp/power meter and a small inverter setup that I use to test my deep cycle RV batteries. I placed a 2A load on the battery after it was fully charged. Test 1 results show 8AH of capacity when drawn down from 100% to 25% (12.0V). I should be getting 12AH and the 8AH suggests a loss of 33% of the battery capacity. I also noticed the voltage dropped from 12.8V to 12.4V in the 1st hr which is more than expected. I am charging the battery back up and will run Test 2 tomorrow to see if I get more than 8AH. If I can't get to 10AH after the 3rd test I will replace the battery.

2nd Test: I recharged the battery and then reapplied a 2A load. I was able to get 9.6AH by drawing the battery down to a resting voltage of 11.8V. I don't have an exact voltage vs charge chart for the Yuasa AGM and my best guess is that 11.8V is 70% discharged. It seems like I am getting 85% of the rated capacity with an ambient temperature of 50F. I would get closer to the rated capacity if the shop was 20F warmer.

I am going to install the BlueSea switch as a backup and continue to run the factory battery. It seems clear that the factory battery needs to be in good condition to start the engine under cold weather conditions. I don't want to get back to the trail head after dark after walking all day hunting and find out the sxs will not start. The sxs allows me to venture out further from base camp and I have no interest in walking back to camp after hunting all day.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!