Review for JEI Offroad Spare Tire Carrier

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hi all, its been a while since I have been on. We got out a few times in New Hampshire this season and did some camping. One of our many projects this year was outfitting our pioneer 1000-5 to better carry our gear and increase our overall preparedness on the trail.

After looking at a lot of different tire carrier options we chose the Jei offroad single bar tire carrier. It was between this and the super atv version. We liked how the jei had an option for a roto pak mount. Finally, we could get our just in case or help someone out fuel can out of our back bed. We thought our two fur kids would thank us but more on that in a bit.

There were not many reviews or info available on the carrier. Just a little and a few poor experiences with JEI on this site but also some positives. After calling and speaking with the owner of JEI we decided he seemed like a good guy and we would do business with him.
The carrier is almost impossible to open you have to lift up on the tire to get the pins out. The pins are also small diameter and bend upon the first use. That aside we could live with the carrier.
Well on our second camping trip about 4 months into owning it we heard and felt excessive banging from the rear of our rig. I pulled over and found the tire about to fall off the carrier. 75 miles from our camp we spent a half hour rearranging our gear, two dogs and ratchet strapping the tire into place practically on top of them.

Despite our best efforts going down steep hills and rocks the tire would slide at our dogs in the back and my wife would have to turn around and hold the tire from crushing them.

The welds were very poor as you can see in the pictures. The tire is a standard sized front tire for the pioneer 1000-5. It is not excessively heavy. After we get home the machine is washed allowed to dry outside and then parked in the garage. There was no evidence of rust before the thing literally broke.

Now we get into how JEI handled the situation. Called them at least 5 times. Never even got a voicemail until we emailed the guy and told him everything that happened and that he needs to pick up the phone or at least have a voicemail to call people back. Then we got a voicemail on the next call. He never called us back. Never responded.

All I wanted was a new unit that wasn't junk or an upgraded model. I would have even agreed to pay the difference if he worked with us on it.

He basically ghosted my wife and I. Now we have a $365 paper weight including the price of shipping. On facebook someone had a problem with the pins and he blamed the user. I found the review afterwards.

In my opinion JEI makes total junk. The owner is a clown and they don't stand behind their product. Maybe one day I will get to tell him in person what I think of him if he is at a trade show near me.

Any questions feel free to ask.

20230928 143819 20230928 145143 20230928 143824 20230928 173953

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
There were not many reviews or info available on the carrier. Just a little and a few poor experiences with JEI on this site but also some positives. After calling and speaking with the owner of JEI we decided he seemed like a good guy and we would do business with him.
Like @trigger said, Ive been warning people on here about those inconsiderate P’s OS
People that own that co for many years on many threads here. Delt with them face to face as well and to no avail. How they kept in busness this long with that crap quality and piss poor customer service and now out of business ( I've heard thank god) is beyond comprehension. Im assuming your research wasn't that through on the forum before purchasing or you would have come across my posts and said “Holy $hit! Hell no!”
Never the less sorry you had to deal with there ass. What your posting is unfortunately years and years of old news.

So my advise to you at this point, is if you have a welder, get you some bar stock or flat steel and take that rack and rebuild on it your own way so its stronger than the empire state building and call it good or just scrap the thing and move on. Cuz trying to deal with those turds is no better than negotiating with terrorists. If you dont have a welder and always wanted to learn how? This a great time to start and a nice POS pice to test your newly found skills on. Sorry for the harsh response but those are the facts about JEI

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
... If you dont have a welder and always wanted to learn how? This a great time to start and a nice POS pice to test your newly found skills on. ...
Unless yer a hipster, every man should own a welder, even if it's just an oxy/acetylene. It will open doors for the rest of your life. Tools aren't an expense, they're an investment.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Like @trigger said, Ive been warning people on here about those inconsiderate P’s OS
People that own that co for many years on many threads here. Delt with them face to face as well and to no avail. How they kept in busness this long with that crap quality and piss poor customer service and now out of business ( I've heard thank god) is beyond comprehension. Im assuming your research wasn't that through on the forum before purchasing or you would have come across my posts and said “Holy $hit! Hell no!”
Never the less sorry you had to deal with there ass. What your posting is unfortunately years and years of old news.

So my advise to you at this point, is if you have a welder, get you some bar stock or flat steel and take that rack and rebuild on it your own way so its stronger than the empire state building and call it good or just scrap the thing and move on. Cuz trying to deal with those turds is no better than negotiating with terrorists. If you dont have a welder and always wanted to learn how? This a great time to start and a nice POS pice to test your newly found skills on. Sorry for the harsh response but those are the facts about JEI
I didn't take it too harshly at all. If only I had checked this forum previously. I ha e two welders and have no problem fixing it. Truth be told I have no interest in doing that because I paid a lot of money for a finished product.

I did consider it though. Ultimately I realized that I don't like the whole design. The rack sags too much with the weight of a tire and makes it nearly impossible to open.

It would require another clamp and more tubing to fix the issue. I recently ordered the one from super atv. I will update the post below. Thanks for the response.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
So here is an update on the carrier. I ordered the one feom super atv and am super impressed. I waited until a sale and got 15% off. I plan to bore out the lower pin hole on the driver side to drop the pin in a little easier. It looks like the lower bracket piece is not perfectly centered.

Im not complaining, just saying. Overall I have to say it is well worth the money and I would buy again. It looks made very well and I should not have to buy it again. I should have bought it in the first place.

Next I am just going to add a clamp for my rotopax.

The pic below is where the two pieces meet for the carrier. There is a clamp with a groove in it which goes over both bevels. It is very rugged, I don't have any reservations about the two piece design. It drastically cuts down on shipping costs.

20240216 160041

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I had my eye on their Talon spare tire holder. I see the website is no longer working.

Reactions: CID and TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!