crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi All,

My wife and I are trying to plan out vacations for next year. She has had a passport for about the last 5 years and has not gotten a chance to use it. We do have plans to get outside of the US starting next spring.

I would love to get ideas on a good place to ride north of the US border. We live in Omaha Nebraska, and could easily drive north. I believe the nearest major town is Winnipeg Manitoba. Its about 660 miles.

I guess first, are there special rules for operating SXSs on Canadian ground? Do I have to worry about being street legal or licensed for operating in Canada? Are national parks or national forests the best places to operate my SXS?

I would love to hear suggestions that might be close enough for us to drive to in a day and a half. I would say no more than 1,200 miles from Omaha. We would be planning for July or August of 2023.

Thanks,

Rob

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ve been to Canada from coast to coast and around Newfoundland in the RV, no buggy. It’s spectacularly beautiful up there.

Having said that - plan for bugs, zillions upon zillions of the damn things - black flies, horse flies, deer flies and mosquitos, there’s no escaping them; you will NOT be sitting out enjoying your campsite, you will be inside, looking out the windows unless you take precautions. Bring Raid or your choice of flying insect killer so you can spray down the inside before you go to bed, they will follow you in, hide and then eat you alive in the middle of the night. I kept a can of Raid in bed so when I heard one, I could just give a squirt into the air; mosquitos die quickly.

Horse flies swarmed my RV at most gas stops, sensing the heat. Another patron laughed and pointed at my jeans, there were 5 horse flies trying to get thru the material. :oops:

Btw: enjoy yer trip. :cool:

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
My experience says go early....as close to "ice out" as you can. During summer month's the only safe place is out on a large body of water....hint hint. Fall, I.E. September 1st can be pretty decent but you don't want to get caught in one of those early snow storms either.

You can combat the bugs with sprays, head nets, gloves, and long sleeves but all of that takes away from the fun of being up there. I personally, have never let the bugs ruin a fishing trip but the ones with no bugs are always the best.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, I looked to see how far Calgary is , it’s another 830 miles to the west.

There are plenty of places in the lower 48 but getting to see something different in another country would be a new adventure.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Another word of caution is that millions of us anti vaxers haven't been up there in years..... so if you go early, expect long lines at the border and crowds.
My wife and I just finished getting our second COVID booster and flu shot last week. fun time at our house... getting ready to go to Florida next month for a week and didn't want to have either ruin another trip. COVID ruined an early January trip this year.

Rob

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do all my riding in central to south BC. Bugs are not a problem unless you stop by some standing water. I carry a can of off with me and spray my hat and arms down if needed, not a big deal. As far as licensing I believe if you're insured at home it's all you need to ride up here but make sure that your insurance covers you up here. I don't know of anywhere in Canada that is street legal for our buggys but a lot of smaller towns will have certain routes so you can get fuel, food, lodging etc. National parks would be off limits but any other crown land is allowed. I wish I could give you more info on areas east of me but I've never been in the bush out there. Living in BC I've never had the urge to leave the mountains to go to the prairies. If anyone is in my area look me up. I'd love to show you around. I ride straight from home from May until about this time of year. Few pics from this year.

7YJ0GeVzTameoNSacJsteg
IMG 6216
IMG 6225
IMG 6369
IMG 6519
IMG 6563
IMG 6584
IMG 6705
IMG 6920
IMG 6934
IMG 6939
IMG 6940
IMG 6951

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Looks beautiful up there. I would gladly drive to the mountains, as I have enough prairie around me every day.

I'm insured with State Farm, I would have to check to see if it covers me for both North and South of the border. I watched a bunch of people go camp on the Baja peninsula that would be fun with a SXS too. Ride right out and camp at the ocean's edge.

Looking for a few good trips in the next couple of years like this.

Thanks for the info on bugs and such. That helps!

Rob

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been there on business once. Not sure the time of year but we landed on Spokane and it snowed 4" over night. Flew up to Kamloops and it was 70 some degrees and beautiful outside. Never noticed any bugs at time. The country is beautiful. I flew in a small jet and we flew low so I got to see the wilderness from the air pretty good. All I could think about was that movie, the bear, with Anthony Hopkins. If you got lost up there, there's a good chance that would be the last you'd be seen. Big country.

Last edited:
L

ladoredb

Oct 11, 2021
ONTARIO
Ownership

1. 520
Winnipeg is great if you like flat terrain. My friends dog ran away from home, you could still see him three days later 🤪.
Bugs bad spring early summer, ease off late July and August.
I am from South Western Ontario, therefore not exactly a local perspective.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I have plenty of flat terrain in the plains of the US. Literally it takes at least 6 hours from my house to get to anything that any point about 2,000' above sea level. and I start at 1,240'.

I'm happy to hear that the bugs may have a short season that far north. Maybe I need to look further west for our ride.

Rob