RockHill Powersports SC probably avoid

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I just got off the phone with them over pricing a unit and they must think I'm a rube or something. They quoted me $1800 on freight and $725 on assembly (standard freight is about $950 and assembly I have seen around $150). And some of the excuses like "it's a heavy unit to ship" and "it comes with a lot of little pieces to put together" instantly told me they are never going to try and be straight/respect me as a customer.

I told them someone is probably willing to pay that but it isn't going to be me. Time to call other dealers.

Hope others have a better experience with them but my vote would be to avoid.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I just got off the phone with them over pricing a unit and they must think I'm a rube or something. They quoted me $1800 on freight and $725 on assembly (standard freight is about $950 and assembly I have seen around $150). And some of the excuses like "it's a heavy unit to ship" and "it comes with a lot of little pieces to put together" instantly told me they are never going to try and be straight/respect me as a customer.

I told them someone is probably willing to pay that but it isn't going to be me. Time to call other dealers.

Hope others have a better experience with them but my vote would be to avoid.
The average mark up on units is around 3000 unfortunately But not all dealers.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try Carolina Honda in Columbia. They only sell Hondas. Don't know if that will make a difference or not. And I have no idea how their supply is. They have always had great customer service

Reactions: Smitty335
H

hdrews91

Jun 30, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was quoted 970 freight and 275 set up at my dealer. For a Talon R 2 seat just for reference. Dealer in Asheboro NC.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Aren’t these built in SC, I could see freight to CA being high but can’t cost much to deliver a unit in the state of manufacture.

Reactions: Bmurray
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, I'm, not a lawyer and not an advocate for any business. Just an old retired sailor. I don't disagree with your frustration with your dealer or your decision to go somewhere else - I would do the same - but dealers nationwide are at risk of being forced out of business. Their overhead expenses continue while they have no product to sell. They're trying to survive.

It's probably not a good idea to harshly criticize them on a high volume and highly visible product website. I recently read of a couple who harshly criticized a company in reviews and were sued in court for slander.

None of my business of course but I'd like to politely suggest you think about that a little.

R

rickoshea

OP, I'm, not a lawyer and not an advocate for any business. Just an old retired sailor. I don't disagree with your frustration with your dealer or your decision to go somewhere else - I would do the same - but dealers nationwide are at risk of being forced out of business. Their overhead expenses continue while they have no product to sell. They're trying to survive.

It's probably not a good idea to harshly criticize them on a high volume and highly visible product website. I recently read of a couple who harshly criticized a company in reviews and were sued in court for slander.

None of my business of course but I'd like to politely suggest you think about that a little.
all 3 dealers around my area are doing just fine with no inventory.i can't book a service slot any time soon.usually about 4/6 weeks.and with sled season coming it'll get even worse.i paid around $1250 cdn for freight/pdi/doc fees in 2019.if a dealer is raping clients on fees they should be called out on it.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Dealers make money off service not sales of new units but in this time of craziness I can see a dealer trying to increase margins on new units as they have fewer overall to sell, their choice but the damage of Trying for an extra buck May bite them as they turn away good customers that will never use their service now.

The OP just pointed out their pricing and unwillingness to come off it, happens all the time, they’ll get someone to pay that really wants it without the wait.

advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
all 3 dealers around my area are doing just fine with no inventory.i can't book a service slot any time soon.usually about 4/6 weeks.and with sled season coming it'll get even worse.i paid around $1250 cdn for freight/pdi/doc fees in 2019.if a dealer is raping clients on fees they should be called out on it.
I wonder if the owner or general manager would agree with you. The local dealer in my area was booked far into the future when I spoke with him but when I examined the facts he had only one technician and was struggling to take care of the few customers he had.

If a business is struggling to remain afloat, to make payroll and meet expenses, they can't hire more employees. And with the US communist party now in power it's nearly impossible to hire anyone to work. Also, few can pass a drug test now.

Running a business is far more complicated than many realize.

Next year when some Honda Powersports dealers are closed and the nearest dealer is in the next state many will realize how hard it is on many dealers.

R

rickoshea

I wonder if the owner or general manager would agree with you. The local dealer in my area was booked far into the future when I spoke with him but when I examined the facts he had only one technician and was struggling to take care of the few customers he had.

If a business is struggling to remain afloat, to make payroll and meet expenses, they can't hire more employees. And with the US communist party now in power it's nearly impossible to hire anyone to work. Also, few can pass a drug test now.

Running a business is far more complicated than many realize.

Next year when some Honda Powersports dealers are closed and the nearest dealer is in the next state many will realize how hard it is on many dealers.
well,i was just in my dealer picking up the honda and chatting with the service guy,they're doing just fine.they're already booking in snow machines.i was told if i want my steering rack done to not take my time.they do also sell ktm and can am machines,not just honda.my local dealer sells honda and can am and i can't book any time before mid september.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This dealer has always had a bad reputation

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
Aren’t these built in SC, I could see freight to CA being high but can’t cost much to deliver a unit in the state of manufacture.
That's what I was thinking too, I believe it's 100 miles or less from the factory to Rock Hill. My take was they are trying to recoup some of the money they have not made from not having product to sell for so long.

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
This dealer has always had a bad reputation
I investigated them a little more after posting, there are a lot of negative reviews even from ex-employees from that dealership.

Sadly as stated above someone probably will pay those prices eventually. One would hope they do a little investigation on a large purchase before hand and at least know it's way out of the normal; at that point it's their choice to over spend after all it's their money.

My jaw dropped when I was told those amounts and what they thought would be good justification for them. I'll vote with my wallet by going somewhere else.

H

hdrews91

Jun 30, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
Struggling dealers or not… there’s no way they should double the cost of freight unless the freight company is charging that to the dealer. As I said before freight on my machine to NC was quoted 970 which seems close to average. 1800 shipping is not realistic.

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
A semi-local dealer near me says they adjust pricing to market value that changes daily. They couldn’t tell me where that value comes from or how it adjust, then rud hung upon me. Stay away from Big St.Charles Motorsports and related dealerships. They’re a-holes and have been known to earn that title.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!