Roof rack storage

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Does anyone use the Milwaukie pack out boxes for storage on their UTV? Do you use the milwaukie mounting plate? Do you lock them together on top of each other? If so, do the boxes lock on solid and hold up to the bouncing ? I’m thinking about using them on my roof rack.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've seen a lot of guys on this site using that set-up, in the bed, back and front seats. I haven't seen any complaints on the system.

@Hondasxs , @Adam490 , @Remington

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does anyone use the Milwaukie pack out boxes for storage on their UTV? Do you use the milwaukie mounting plate? Do you lock them together on top of each other? If so, do the boxes lock on solid and hold up to the bouncing ? I’m thinking about using them on my roof rack.
Yup, been happening on here since Christ was a foot soldier.
Lots of threads about them with even pictures and links. Alot of Talon builds have it all detailed with links to plates used, even my build. All you got to do is search it.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yup. Talon and Pioneer.

20230923 192016
20230614 203744

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
They are fantastic. I’d use the Milwaukee plastic plates whenever you can just because they are much easier on the plastic interlocking tabs on the boxes than the aluminum/steel plates. Milwaukee does not currently have a plate that lets you run a full size box and a smaller, single size box side by side. AJK Off-road makes the plate that most of us run in the bed because it’s offset and allows you to run a full size box and a single at the same time. I’m not sure, but I think Brian (@highpocket74) might make one that lets you do the same. I know he’s got one that’s an aluminum version of the Milwaukee 3 wide plate.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
No issues of them coming off?
I had my 40qt cooler come off one time in the Talon. That was chasing another guy in a Talon around a racetrack with jumps… so I don’t really fault it.

I know @Kilo427 rolled his KRX in Moab and all his packout stuff held on no problem. I’ve tipped mine a few times and have never lost any of my packout stuff.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Also, the coolers do not fit as snug as the boxes. I’m assuming they made them with expansion in mind, but that’s really my only pet peeve with any of the Packout gear I own.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Since there making it super easy for you @KenThompson with another pack out thread, I guess ill bite :rolleyes: 🤣

Ive had them from the beginning in my P1 and Talon. The packout made plates that are in my P1 are far more superior than the AJC off-road steel plate. Ive had paint rub off on the AJC and the metal gets warm/hot and has warped my bottom packout in the talon more than once making PO come loose. I would recomend a rear rack for the “just in case” safety measure. Saved my ass more than once with these. I also use pack outs up the ass NOHOMO in my service van. All this (accept the van) and how too’s are illustrated in my builds Like perviously mentioned. Here are some more pics.

As always, since you started the thread, dont leave us hanging like Espstine when you do yours, so come back here with pics of your own ;)
IMG 5270
IMG 1636

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Since there making it super easy for you @KenThompson with another pack out thread, I guess ill bite :rolleyes: 🤣

Ive had them from the beginning in my P1 and Talon. The packout made plates that are in my P1 are far more superior than the AJC off-road steel plate. Ive had paint rub off on the AJC and the metal gets warm/hot and has warped my bottom packout in the talon more than once making PO come loose. I would recomend a rear rack for the “just in case” safety measure. Saved my ass more than once with these. I also use pack outs up the ass NOHOMO in my service van. All this (accept the van) and how too’s are illustrated in my builds Like perviously mentioned. Here are some more pics.

As always, since you started the thread, dont leave us hanging like Espstine when you do yours, so come back here with pics of your own ;)
View attachment 403790View attachment 403791
View attachment 403798View attachment 403799View attachment 403800View attachment 403801
Great! Since I already have the back of my Talon filled up with radiator, coolers (his and hers), and gas, the roof is my only option. The pictures show the original roof rack I built, but I’m redesigning it. I have been on a mission to get all of the heat out of the cockpit. With the radiator in the back, I was getting a little bit of heat backdraft on my neck. The shorter aluminum roof took care of that. Now with the rear radiator, vents on the A post and lower windshield, and the dual 4” blowers pulling air from where the radiator use to be into the foot wells, MO MORE HOT COCKPIT! Plus by moving the radiator, tools, and second battery back there it improves Honda’s terrible weight balance.
Img 4064
Img 4236
IMG 1747
IMG 1647
IMG 0416
IMG 1258

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great! Since I already have the back of my Talon filled up with radiator, coolers (his and hers), and gas, the roof is my only option. The pictures show the original roof rack I built, but I’m redesigning it. I have been on a mission to get all of the heat out of the cockpit. With the radiator in the back, I was getting a little bit of heat backdraft on my neck. The shorter aluminum roof took care of that. Now with the rear radiator, vents on the A post and lower windshield, and the dual 4” blowers pulling air from where the radiator use to be into the foot wells, MO MORE HOT COCKPIT! Plus by moving the radiator, tools, and second battery back there it improves Honda’s terrible weight balance.View attachment 403817View attachment 403818View attachment 403819View attachment 403816View attachment 403820View attachment 403821
Thats a hell of a system u got there

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
nice thread. P1K-5 and want some extra space on the roof to keep options open for rear jump seats. open to suggestions that would bolt on/through the roof to the ROPS.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
nice thread. P1K-5 and want some extra space on the roof to keep options open for rear jump seats. open to suggestions that would bolt on/through the roof to the ROPS.
Discountramps.com used to make a rooftop carrier for a car that was only 2.75" tall. I haven't seen it available in a long time, though. Everything else I see is 5" or taller, and that is likely too high for my P1K5, as they are already tall/top heavy.

Screenshot 20230925 225458 DuckDuckGo

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Discountramps.com used to make a rooftop carrier for a car that was only 2.75" tall. I haven't seen it available in a long time, though. Everything else I see is 5" or taller, and that is likely too high for my P1K5, as they are already tall/top heavy.

View attachment 404019
Yeah, I’ve seen numerous generic universal sized roof racks that may be adaptable, but I’m kinda anal about Mt Talon’s fir and finish. I will be building my own rack that matches the exact contour of my aluminum roof.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yeah, I’ve seen numerous generic universal sized roof racks that may be adaptable, but I’m kinda anal about Mt Talon’s fir and finish. I will be building my own rack that matches the exact contour of my aluminum roof.
That's cool, but my reply was to @someguy1313, who posted that he has a P1K5.

Personally, I'm not putting a rack on top of my Talon or my P1K5. The only way I'd consider one would be if I only rode out in the desert or other areas with no trees.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
They are fantastic. I’d use the Milwaukee plastic plates whenever you can just because they are much easier on the plastic interlocking tabs on the boxes than the aluminum/steel plates. Milwaukee does not currently have a plate that lets you run a full size box and a smaller, single size box side by side. AJK Off-road makes the plate that most of us run in the bed because it’s offset and allows you to run a full size box and a single at the same time. I’m not sure, but I think Brian (@highpocket74) might make one that lets you do the same. I know he’s got one that’s an aluminum version of the Milwaukee 3 wide plate.
I didn't design a mount for the XL Milwaukee boxes because... I have a tailgate and the mounting brackets for those do not allow the width required to fit the XL boxes and a half width box. It just won't fit. So I opted to stick with the large size boxes and half width boxes. I works well for me. I don't carry a ton of stuff with me anyway.

Reactions: Scoop and Adam490

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!