Rusted Floor Support Bars

R

RobertCarstens

Aug 11, 2016
Dune Acres, IN
duneacres.org
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 and both floor support bars have completed rusted through and need to be replaced - makes me wonder if other parts of the frame will go - seems like bad materials for this item - other parts of the frame seem ok - but the way these completely rusted through and feel apart is very disappointing...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Pics?
Where is Dune Acres, what state?
How many miles?
What kind of conditions do u ride in?
Do u wash it in those areas often?
Do you have slid plates? Not the factory G-string

Questions are, cuz havent seen or heard of that kind of rusting. Small stuff here and there but not like u described. Thats why we need pics and to give u Ideas

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 and both floor support bars have completed rusted through and need to be replaced - makes me wonder if other parts of the frame will go - seems like bad materials for this item - other parts of the frame seem ok - but the way these completely rusted through and feel apart is very disappointing...
Hi - please post pics….

If you have a good frame to weld to it should be a simple repair.

It’s not bad materials, always more to the story, like anything else, corrosion is what it is based on use conditions and care. There have been pics of beach patrol buggies with frames completely gone, I’ve seen many sxs’s with that much mud above skid plates where it is just damp all the time, vegetation somehow growing and my buddy goes, wtf, the frame is rotted - but it’s been a damp swamp for years - really.

R

RobertCarstens

Aug 11, 2016
Dune Acres, IN
duneacres.org
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi - please post pics….

If you have a good frame to weld to it should be a simple repair.

It’s not bad materials, always more to the story, like anything else, corrosion is what it is based on use conditions and care. There have been pics of beach patrol buggies with frames completely gone, I’ve seen many sxs’s with that much mud above skid plates where it is just damp all the time, vegetation somehow growing and my buddy goes, wtf, the frame is rotted - but it’s been a damp swamp for years - really.

Side Rails 1 Side Rails2 Side Rails 3

R

RobertCarstens

Aug 11, 2016
Dune Acres, IN
duneacres.org
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are underside pictures of my side rails for a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 - they are nearly completely rotted / rusted through both sides are nearly identical - i garage keep this thing and drive on town roads and beach here in Dune Acres along Lake Michigan - this is quite surprising - welding looks out of the question - new rails for each side are not cheap - hoping this is not an indication of further problems with the frame - which looks ok for now - but this is quite concerning - I suggest others inspect their rails and try to ensure you work against any rust areas you start to see - I didn't really notice this until part of the rail literally fell away - any ideas? Honda - upgrade you frame materials would be nice....!!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
here in Dune Acres along Lake Michigan
Welcome fellow michigander!
Looked up Dune Acres its not listed in Google maps🤔 must be a community?
At any rate, Id fix my Avitar location to just Michigan so your not asked this question every time you post.😉

So u say its garage kept. Thats good. But what are you driving in? You just said
“Dune Acres along Lake Mi”
Do u plow snow/ride in Dune acres in the winter on our beautiful salted roads? Cuz it looks like your not getting that undercarriage clean enough and when it sets the salt or whatever is eating at it cuz thats pretty bad for just a light cruiser and we have some narly machines in this group that have been to hell and back/ beat to hell and the AL and GA red clay that his known for corrosion and we haven't seen it this bad. Something out of the box has happened here. Did u also scrape the bottom with rocks so the paint was removed? That would accelerate the corrosion. On that subject, riding the beaches with sand like sandblasting the undercarriage will cause you to loose paint as well.
We just need some more through explanation of the full environment its in and how its cleaned when its stored. This is not to criticize or demean you we’re just trying to get to the bottom of this. Some things aren’t adding up.

Also noticed you still have the factory
G string skids, that aint helping your campaign either no matter what your driving in. Also the rott looks right where the tires are always splashing muck! Not good either.

Are you the first owner as well?

Reactions: Buggyman
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think they're made cheap. Thin ass, low quality steel. For the money the should be stainless or powder coated.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
is this fixed ?, u have neighborhood kids pouring salt water down the tubes?

A

Andy_george

Oct 13, 2018
Mid Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My bars aren’t that bad, but they are also very rusted. As are the bars on my brothers 1000. Also in Michigan. We are never at the dunes, but I just think it’s due to a vulnerable area of the frame thats always subject to mud and dirt road chloride.

I’m the original owner with 10,500 miles on it. So far this is the absolute only issue, so I can’t complain. I already have spares for when I need to swap. Won’t be quick, but the new ones just bolt into place.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

Yeah, my 2014 700 bed frame some rusting out on the underside. Never seen salt. I've spayed herbicides with it a couple times early on in it's life but otherwise it's always been washed and stored inside. Meanwhile the thick heavy frame on my 1986 fourtrax 4x4 that I assume has lived many years outside is fine except for surface rust. This is life as we know it. Nothing is the same. I have a welder so I'll fix it if it ever gats as bad as yours.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!