P1000 shift on the fly Whats up

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I know the manual says u have to stop when shifting from 2x4 to 4x4 and 4x4 diff lock but my friend does it all the time in his and says no problems at all what are your opinions. Opinions wanted but More important does anyone have a professional opinion on the matter?

lets face it if it is necessary to stop to put into 4x4 thats a big disadvantage in the industry!!! If they said like polaris does don't engage 4x4 while spinning in 2X4 then that is another matter so witch is it???
Is this a big disadvantage of the dct transmission over the cvt

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know the manual says u have to stop when shifting from 2x4 to 4x4 and 4x4 diff lock but my friend does it all the time in his and says no problems at all what are your opinions. Opinions wanted but More important does anyone have a professional opinion on the matter?

lets face it if it is necessary to stop to put into 4x4 thats a big disadvantage in the industry!!! If they said like polaris does don't engage 4x4 while spinning in 2X4 then that is another matter so witch is it???
Is this a big disadvantage of the dct transmission over the cvt

I guess I'll have to be PC and say "do what the manual says." BUT, I alway and I mean always shift on the fly and never had a problem. My P700 said the same thing and I ALWAYS shifted it on the fly and with 700 miles it never gave me any trouble.

Like I said, don't do that because the manual says not to. My experiences are at my own risk and I choose to go against what Honda stated.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I think part of the reason they put that in the manual is because they don't want people engaging them if you have a wheel spinning since that could cause bad things to happen. If you do put it in on the fly generally you should be ok if you're coasting and not under acceleration or engine braking. Its been fine for me that way. But don't ever shift the PRNHL shifter on the fly

Reactions: adnoh and joeymt33
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think going into 4wd or 4wd diff lock should require slowing down or stopping from 2wd, but changing between 2 wheel lock and turf should be fine, as well as shifting from 4wd down to 2wd. Just gotta use common sense, be gentle like you're shifting a Peterbilt and don't force it and find a sweet spot.

Reactions: CashMoney
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know on my 700 I routinely change from 2 to 4wd without stopping and vice versa. The only time I had any trouble was when I got high centered on a snow drift. I let off the gas and didn't give it long enough for the back wheels to stop spinning. Needles to say it made some bad sounds, but I didn't hurt anything to my knowledge. The only time that I have used the Diff Lock was when I'm plowing snow, so it's easier to just stop and put it in. As long as you are using common sense and not abusing it you should be fine.

stevenj

stevenj

Sep 14, 2015
Shifting while moving is not a problem, just be sure you are not under a load and not while a wheel is spinning.