100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can’t tell you much about Shock straps, but JTW or Montecristo can tell you about crotchless jock straps…

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The advantage is the strap prevents the shock from extending too far and binding axles. Over extension of the shock is likely caused by the shock being used in an application it's not intended for or the shock being designed without any limitation on full droop.

The disadvantage is shocks that require a limit strap also tend to require a stack up of washers to fit in the shock mount because they are a generic shock with a poor overall fit for the specific machine. Additionally, the shock mounting bolts are typically relied on for the limit strap mount. A limited strap is intended to absorb the impact load of the suspension as it reaches the limit of travel and in my opinion a bolt in single shear should never be subjected to shock or impact loading. I'd be fairly concerned that consistent impacts during full droop events could bend or break the bolts.

There are plenty of similarly priced shocks that are the right length or offer internal jounce bumpers. With those other options available, many people wouldn't consider the "needs a limit strap" type options. In the end you can have all the shock settings in the world and your ride quality is only as good as how they are set right now.

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The advantage is the strap prevents the shock from extending too far and binding axles. Over extension of the shock is likely caused by the shock being used in an application it's not intended for or the shock being designed without any limitation on full droop.

The disadvantage is shocks that require a limit strap also tend to require a stack up of washers to fit in the shock mount because they are a generic shock with a poor overall fit for the specific machine. Additionally, the shock mounting bolts are typically relied on for the limit strap mount. A limited strap is intended to absorb the impact load of the suspension as it reaches the limit of travel and in my opinion a bolt in single shear should never be subjected to shock or impact loading. I'd be fairly concerned that consistent impacts during full droop events could bend or break the bolts.

There are plenty of similarly priced shocks that are the right length or offer internal jounce bumpers. With those other options available, many people wouldn't consider the "needs a limit strap" type options. In the end you can have all the shock settings in the world and your ride quality is only as good as how they are set right now.
Thank you. That helps a lot.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!