Should I: new Tie Rod End assembly or just Rack End Joint replacement?

M

Memisis

Dec 31, 2020
Huntersville NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This is on my 2021 Talon 1000x4

There is a bend in the passenger tie rod assembly.
20210729 133129

I want to get the gangs opinion as to wether I should:
  1. Go ahead and replace both tie rods and components with SuperATV (or another brands) Billet tie rods. These assemblies come with everything from the Rack End Joint down to the Ball Joint.
  2. Just replace the Rack End Joint that I believe is bent (I hope its not the Steering Rack but who knows until I get in there)
So what is everyones experience with these 1000x4 tie rods? I know that the SuperATV kit have all new hardware, but I could also slip on only the billet tie rods over the stock hardware so really there would be no difference aside from metal composition. So the question is what is really going to fail. Do the stock Tie Rods eventually bend and I'll need something stronger? Im starting to push the machine with a 2" lift and 32" Rockzillas, not to mention development of the cahonies to send it....

If they are destined to bend then I want to go ahead and replace with the billet option, but I dont want to waste the money

What say yous!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just replace with OEM tie rod, it's the weakest (and inexpensive) link. Those HD tie rods could destroy an expensive steering rack when they don't bend and you hit something again.

Good info here, don't forget the tip on using large replacement clamp from ATC 110 for quick and easy boot removal in the field.

20180322 113157

M

Memisis

Dec 31, 2020
Huntersville NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for the inputs, Never thought of this as something that we would want to bend to prevent damage to other parts. On the other hand, I just dont remember banging against anything which is why I was thinking I needed something stronger. I think it happened on a climb that I came over and had too much throttle. I remember the steering really giving my arms a twist at the steering wheel when the passenger front tire found grip. I think this is when it happened.

Much to learn about how to handle obstacles.

Ill take the advice and order a new OEM tie rod assembly and keep the extra parts on hand.

Reactions: TimG and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the inputs, Never thought of this as something that we would want to bend to prevent damage to other parts. On the other hand, I just dont remember banging against anything which is why I was thinking I needed something stronger. I think it happened on a climb that I came over and had too much throttle. I remember the steering really giving my arms a twist at the steering wheel when the passenger front tire found grip. I think this is when it happened.

Much to learn about how to handle obstacles.

Ill take the advice and order a new OEM tie rod assembly and keep the extra parts on hand.
In about 15k miles over 6 years I have bent 5 or 6 of them on a Pioneer 1000. I think on only 3 or those occasions I realized I hit something like a root or rock in the trail.

These things happen and I always carry 2 spare tie rods just in case so it can be swapped out trail side when it happens. Bend one bad enough it's hard to get out of difficult terrain.

OEM tie rods are less than $20 each, the HD are in the $250 neighborhood. Unless you are racing without concern for destruction of steering rack (finish race to win or else) they just aren't worth it for recreational riding.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
It’s notable that the talon tie rods and steering rack are both stronger than the pioneer 1000 parts.

Not directly comparable.

The more important piece to carry in a talon is the outer tie rod end. (The threaded stud that holds it into the knuckle is undersized and when snapped off you have no alternative other than replacement with a new rod end and nut)

This is the main benefit of going to aftermarket tie rods. (The outer joint and stud assembly)

If you continue to use oem inner joints they can still act as the “fuse” and save your steering rack.

Alternatively if you drive hard and want to go faster an RB3 steering rack and aftermarket tie rod assemblies are probably in your future anyways.

(I have both on my talon x4 after 1200 miles they were both needed)

I run hard and fast.

Reactions: Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In about 15k miles over 6 years I have bent 5 or 6 of them on a Pioneer 1000. I think on only 3 or those occasions I realized I hit something like a root or rock in the trail.

These things happen and I always carry 2 spare tie rods just in case so it can be swapped out trail side when it happens. Bend one bad enough it's hard to get out of difficult terrain.

OEM tie rods are less than $20 each, the HD are in the $250 neighborhood. Unless you are racing without concern for destruction of steering rack (finish race to win or else) they just aren't worth it for recreational riding.
Where do you find them for $20 ...... spill the beans?

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing and Memisis
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I slid a steel tube over my stock tie rod and never looked back cheap simple and effective.

Each to his own.

M

Memisis

Dec 31, 2020
Huntersville NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It’s notable that the talon tie rods and steering rack are both stronger than the pioneer 1000 parts.

Not directly comparable.

The more important piece to carry in a talon is the outer tie rod end. (The threaded stud that holds it into the knuckle is undersized and when snapped off you have no alternative other than replacement with a new rod end and nut)

This is the main benefit of going to aftermarket tie rods. (The outer joint and stud assembly)

If you continue to use oem inner joints they can still act as the “fuse” and save your steering rack.

Alternatively if you drive hard and want to go faster an RB3 steering rack and aftermarket tie rod assemblies are probably in your future anyways.

(I have both on my talon x4 after 1200 miles they were both needed)

I run hard and fast.
I did notice that it was different, but took value from the "fuse" aspect of the OEM part. I have already purchased 3 End Tie Rod and a whole replacement assembly as backup to ride with. It really does seem like one of those things that makes sense to carry.

If I bend those End Tie Rods quick enough then ill look for a stronger upgrade. Then again, I really would prefer to replace that then to have to crack open the steering box and replace anything in there.

Thanks for the comment, this is very helpful.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!