P500 sick to my stomach

C

Clubhousejunky

Feb 21, 2016
Il
I put my 2016 pioneer 500 SxS in the water today. I pulled plug out and drained muffler. It started back up and ran for a few minutes then died. Found water in the fuel obviously. Pulled oil dipstick and didn't seem to have got in the oil (not positive). Drained as much fuel as I could, but could not get it all. Does the fuel filter need to changed? If so where is it at? Should I drain the oil?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You will need to pull out the fuel tank dump it clean it, purge the fuel line. The fuel tank vent tube is under the edge of the passenger seat and it sucked water into your fuel tank.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would drain everything including the diffs.

Reactions: DesertWreck
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
here is the breather tube on the P500:
Fuel Tank P500

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Everyone else gave great advice, drain all the fuel in tank and lines, drain and refill oil. make sure it doesnt get milky in the engine oil over time. these things are bullet proof, dont worry about it. your next mod needs to be a snorkel if you like water. this video should make you feel better, he absolutely punishes his 500 nearly every weekend and its still going strong after this little incident!

C

Clubhousejunky

Feb 21, 2016
Il
I put my 2016 pioneer 500 SxS in the water today. I pulled plug out and drained muffler. It started back up and ran for a few minutes then died. Found water in the fuel obviously. Pulled oil dipstick and didn't seem to have got in the oil (not positive). Drained as much fuel as I could, but could not get it all. Does the fuel filter need to changed? If so where is it at? Should I drain the oil?
Is there a fuel filter that needs to changed?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is there a fuel filter that needs to changed?
Not that I am aware of. If there is it's on the end of the fuel pickup tube inside the fuel tank with the pump unit

C

Clubhousejunky

Feb 21, 2016
Il
Thank you all for your help. The video, breather tube mod and reassurance did make me feel a little better. I've only had this machine for a couple of days and my wife keeps telling me the next time I say don't do it you better listen. Hopefully she will let me live it down sometime soon... (a year or two maybe). I don't think I will be doing much water riding anymore anyway if she has anything to say about it.

Reactions: joeymt33
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone else gave great advice, drain all the fuel in tank and lines, drain and refill oil. make sure it doesnt get milky in the engine oil over time. these things are bullet proof, dont worry about it. your next mod needs to be a snorkel if you like water. this video should make you feel better, he absolutely punishes his 500 nearly every weekend and its still going strong after this little incident!

:))) Min 1:37 proves axiom : MORE beer cans and his P500 would float. Don't forget beer cans life jackets next time anyone decides to dive.

Feel sorry for this guy, its PITA to clean drowned vehicle.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
BamaBoundSteve

BamaBoundSteve

Lifetime Member
Mar 13, 2015
S.E. Alabama
The Mudd Man! I enjoy his videos. This I will say, his Testicular fortitude is greater than mine...LOL!

Good Luck Club!

Reactions: Jshell3
C

Clubhousejunky

Feb 21, 2016
Il
Well I drained oil and diffs, but could not get the fuel tank out without what looks to me a lot work. Can anyone tell me how it comes out?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do those water removers that you pour into gas tanks actually work? I've never tried it, but in this situation it may be worth a shot.

Db31196d76b6598dd25dcc214d435269

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I keep thinking DAM that had to be cold!

C

Clubhousejunky

Feb 21, 2016
Il
Well I'm sitting here in my high rail rotary dump riding the rails and have a few minutes to give all of you who took the time to help me out an update. Well I drained diffs, eng oil, and fuel tank. There was water in all of them. Changed the oil & filter three times. Let the diffs drain the whole time while changing the oil then flushed them with new 80w90 oil. All said a d done oil looked clean (gonna change it one time after about 6hrs.). The only problem I had keeping running the first few times and it still sputters once in awhile. Figured there was still water in the fuel ( couldn't get the water out of reserve) or the computer had re-learn (unpluged it during all this) or both. Gonna run a tank of premium and sea foam and see what happens. Saved my $650 phone (rice trick), my vape, and still working on the wife's work phone....thanks again!!

Reactions: Ollie and SBuckJ
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been there brother lol. Glad it survived. Just spent 300 or so changing fluids and filters in my p1k.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
FYI mudd man did finally kill his motor with mud. I follow him on Instagram and it died about a month ago. I watch a guy on YouTube called mud puppy and he rides a foreman deep in the mud and water all the time and changes oil and diffs about every second or third ride. He must spend a fortune on oil but he loves it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!