Smokers

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had almost every Weber known to man, Kettles, Smokey Joes, Genesis, Smokey Mountain. I've got a Broil King Keg, had a Big Green Egg. I've got a Smok'n Tex. I like smokers.

So.......I'm surfing around and come across a Green Mountain Davy Crockett, damn I like that thing. It would be perfect for camping. Using at home......

Who has one? Give me the low down. I'm ready to jump.

Thanks

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a popular camping pellet grill for sure.

It’s about the only pellet grill mentioned anymore on the RV sites I visit.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have one and love it! Tie it down in the back of the Pioneer. It takes a little time to get started but it's awesome on the trails and campsite.

Reactions: nitzo
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Found it on eBay for 272 free shipping.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@ CaptinJack rzr also has one. He was having some trouble with the pellet feeder. I took it apart and found a problem with the motor/ gearbox. So I called Green Mountain today and talked to support dept. Jerry told me to get the serial# and they would send me a replacement. So if this works out I'll be a very satisfied coustomer. I'll update when it's back together.

Reactions: JTW and nitzo
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I've had almost every Weber known to man, Kettles, Smokey Joes, Genesis, Smokey Mountain. I've got a Broil King Keg, had a Big Green Egg. I've got a Smok'n Tex. I like smokers.

So.......I'm surfing around and come across a Green Mountain Davy Crockett, damn I like that thing. It would be perfect for camping. Using at home......

Who has one? Give me the low down. I'm ready to jump.

Thanks

green mountain grills have a lot of problems.

the warranty is good but you have to work on the thing every second week. (Warranty only covers parts)

The camp chef pellet grills are fairly cheap and very reliable.

use camp chef brand pellets for consistent temperatures. (Fairly cheap pellets anyways)

Reactions: Tramguage1
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
green mountain grills have a lot of problems.

the warranty is good but you have to work on the thing every second week. (Warranty only covers parts)

The camp chef pellet grills are fairly cheap and very reliable.

use camp chef brand pellets for consistent temperatures. (Fairly cheap pellets anyways)

Don't know about all that, but I will say my first cook went flawlessly. I cooked this brisket to 208 degrees, it took about 9 hours at between 225 and 250. The food turned out awesome. The cooker worked like it was supposed to.

Gmg

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My GMG is now 6 years old, I use it a LOT, been through hundreds of pounds of pellets and so far no issue at all.

As my opening post stated, I've been smoking for years, had all kinds of smokers. This GMG is amazing, so simple to use, clean-up was easy, everything about the cook was a pleasure. I sure hope it continues to work as well as it did this past weekend.

Reactions: Alan aka Davinci
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a Rec Tec 340 this fall and LOVE IT. A little spendy but it's changed the way we eat. Haven't made a bad piece on it.

Highly recommend a pellet grill. As far as brand- it's just all what you are looking for. I think GMG had some creature comforts that rec tec skips (bottle openers, windows, etc). Ultimately what sold me was the customer service reports, the all stainless steel construction and them horns! :cool:

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Don't know about all that, but I will say my first cook went flawlessly. I cooked this brisket to 208 degrees, it took about 9 hours at between 225 and 250. The food turned out awesome. The cooker worked like it was supposed to.

View attachment 172387
I have the Davy Crockett and a Treager also. Love them both!
20191225 123620 20191225 135706

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Davy Crockett and a Treager also. Love them both!

I'm going to be keeping and using the Davy Crockett in the camper, which means I'm going to need another one for at home. I was thinking I want to get a bigger one, I'm just not sure which one. I'm not brand specific, I just want good quality at a good price. I guess like everything huh?

Reactions: dnjones161
R

rickoshea

i've been craving a pastrami sammich for a week so i pulled 2 briskets out of the freezer.as soon as i get them thawed they go into the brine for 10/12 days,and into the smoker for 1 for some pastrami and the other one is going to some corned beef.never tried to smoke 20+ lbs. of beef in sub zero weather before.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Here's some recommendations for you smokers out there...
Lucky Strikes
Camels

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Yoder 640 and is built like a tank and works well. Better have some help if you get one as it very heavy.

Reactions: Smitty335
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Yoder 640 and is built like a tank and works well. Better have some help if you get one as it very heavy.

Thanks. That’s what they say on their website: “built like a tank”

This the one I’ve been drooling over:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!