Snow tires

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How many people use dedicated snow tires on their road vehicles?
I outfit all the vehicles in my family with Blizzaks and absolutely Love winter driving. They make Old Man Winter my biotch. Even my son's little camry goes anywhere safely and with total control.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many people use dedicated snow tires on their road vehicles?
I outfit all the vehicles in my family with Blizzaks and absolutely Love winter driving. They make Old Man Winter my biotch. Even my son's little camry goes anywhere safely and with total control.
Cars yes, 4wd vehicles not so much. My trucks all have tires that have the severe winter weather ratings on them. Wife’s AWD Durango has more of highway tire that has decent siping.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cars yes, 4wd vehicles not so much. My trucks all have tires that have the severe winter weather ratings on them. Wife’s AWD Durango has more of highway tire that has decent siping.
I had 235-80/17 Goodrich AT kmo2s on my Wrangler and it kicked arse. Stock width was 255 and the skinnier tires tracked real well. Got 235 Blizzaks on a Honda pilot awd and shes a beast. 245 was stock.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer a decent tire for year round. I'll pay extra for a 3 peaks rated all terrain to avoid the hassle of 2 sets of wheels, tires and tpms. At 20k miles per year you get 2 good winters out of decent tires, sell them used and start fresh.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I prefer a decent tire for year round. I'll pay extra for a 3 peaks rated all terrain to avoid the hassle of 2 sets of wheels, tires and tpms. At 20k miles per year you get 2 good winters out of decent tires, sell them used and start fresh.
I don't view it as a hassle as it gives(forces) me the opportunity to lube things up and look things over more often. Plus with 2 sets they last twice as long.

01Canes

Mar 12, 2023
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I live on a mountain so there are times where you can't physically get up or down my driveway without steel so it's either throw chains on my truck or my Jeep ZJ with studded 33's (which I have been too lazy to install this year since it's been so mild 😅)

Wife has a GC summit with studded snows and it's a beast.

Atleast up Here, if you don't have studded snow tires, you are running a compromised setup IMO.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
I sort of run dedicated snow tires: BFGOORICH ALL-TERRAINT/A KO2 year-round on the one ton crew 4x4. These wear a little fast in summer, throw rocks (I have mud flaps), and like to follow ruts on pavement. But everything else I've tried is a severe compromise in one or more conditions that matter to me: deep snow, ice, wet grass, or mud. We keep two sets on rims, use newer in winter and older in summer.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Falken Wild Peak AT's sound interesting. How are they on ice? The biggest thing I like about the KO2 vs. others I've tried that were okay in other conditions is the KO2 seems to let go gradually on ice and grab again when I let off--very confidence inspiring. Others I've tried that were otherwise alright would let go suddenly and not grab again till near a full stop on ice. Some winter tires that lasted longer and were also good on ice were terrible in deep snow, mud, and even wet grass!

Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just get vehicles for different conditions. Snow or anybad weather, I have a 4x4 Ram with Firestones on it, waiting for rhe Wildpeak AT4s to come in. Nice days in the summer, my 300 SRT. General good days to cruise, nothing rides like the Towncar with good all weather touring Michelins.

Weather too bad for the Ram? Well there is the Pioneer or even better, my Lazyboy!

Reactions: ODAMO
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Falken Wild Peak AT's sound interesting. How are they on ice? The biggest thing I like about the KO2 vs. others I've tried that were okay in other conditions is the KO2 seems to let go gradually on ice and grab again when I let off--very confidence inspiring. Others I've tried that were otherwise alright would let go suddenly and not grab again till near a full stop on ice. Some winter tires that lasted longer and were also good on ice were terrible in deep snow, mud, and even wet grass!
Very astute observation. Thats exactly how I felt about the ko2s traction attributes. Very predictable. Over 14 years of use on an 08 Wrangler Unlimited I had stock Goodyear Wrangler SRAs, Mickey Thompson MTZs, Goodyear Duratracs, and the ko2s. Out of all of em the ko2s were the most tenacious for on road snow going, but they were also the skinniest of all of em. The Jeeps BLD system made all the tires seem great, but comparatively the ko2s performed the best on road.

Reactions: GreatNorth
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used to run BFG KO’s..

I now run Falken Wild Peak AT tires. They are great in the snow and are made in USA.

Less expensive than the BFG as well.
I'm a big fan of the made in USA part...🇺🇸

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!