P1000 Sold my 1000 5 today

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I sold it. 6 years and a lot of great times. It’s an awesome vehicle that will go anywhere, but it’s not perfect. Reliability for me was perfect, never a single issue. Heat was easily handled with a shield and a bilge fan. It was all the dust that finally did me in. Dust behind the seat, through the cracks around the doors, through the dash, through the bed and the back seat design. Absolutely everywhere and overwhelming. I ran a windshield, back panel, drove slow, you name it. I will miss the capability, but it seriously lacked refinement. I hope Honda takes a page from can am and comes out with a vehicle that is that well sorted. I would buy another. Meanwhile, I will sit out the winter and decide what to get this spring. Maybe a 2 door jeep, but likely a can am limited cab. Thank you to everyone for a great forum and resource here. Lots of great enthusiasts and info here. Maybe I’m soft in my 50’s but really I think just owning this for 6 years illustrated what I desire in a vehicle. Honestly, the transmission and engine combo is perfect to me. It’s what’s wrapped around it that I would like to see improved.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I sold it. 6 years and a lot of great times. It’s an awesome vehicle that will go anywhere, but it’s not perfect. Reliability for me was perfect, never a single issue. Heat was easily handled with a shield and a bilge fan. It was all the dust that finally did me in. Dust behind the seat, through the cracks around the doors, through the dash, through the bed and the back seat design. Absolutely everywhere and overwhelming. I ran a windshield, back panel, drove slow, you name it. I will miss the capability, but it seriously lacked refinement. I hope Honda takes a page from can am and comes out with a vehicle that is that well sorted. I would buy another. Meanwhile, I will sit out the winter and decide what to get this spring. Maybe a 2 door jeep, but likely a can am limited cab. Thank you to everyone for a great forum and resource here. Lots of great enthusiasts and info here. Maybe I’m soft in my 50’s but really I think just owning this for 6 years illustrated what I desire in a vehicle. Honestly, the transmission and engine combo is perfect to me. It’s what’s wrapped around it that I would like to see improved.
I sold my 1000-5 a few weeks ago , I bought it new in 2018. It was a great machine and never left me stranded but I wanted something that rides better, more stable and more power so I got a RZR lmao.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Maybe a 2 door jeep, or Bronco
Fixed it for ya!
At least you had the balls to admit it. Id lean towards a Bronco. I had 2 jeeps and there an electrical Chrysler poor quality nightmare. Last one was a 13’ Wrangler Sahara Bought new And my Bro inlaw has a 21’ same types of issues. Now living in TPSROK Id get on that right away, cuz u know the gov there is going to spring another band on the Prisoners banning all made in the US vehicles to cross there boarder lol. In all seriousness, good luck. One other unsolicited advise, If u love that DCT so much dont go to the high rpm rubber band life of the Canned Ham, you wont like it. I have 2 Canned Ham sleds (SkiDoo’s) and 2 more nee ones coming in November. There about all I can take of the belt life the few months we ride! Hell…and thats with a helmet on with music! 🤣

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I got a RZR

R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hear ya. I had a 1000-5 and have since sold it. My wife and I went out to the Black Hills in May, and rode with our friends who had a Polaris Northstar. We followed them on gravel roads for probably 6-8 miles. The dust was terrible and my wife hated it. I even kept my distance from them trying to minimze the dust. Like you said, there was dust everywhere on the Honda, including ourselves. Why Honda can't build something comparable for the buyer that wants a more refined SXS, and those type features, I have no clue. The first thing my wife said when we finally loaded up the Honda to drive home was...we need to sell our Honda and get something like they have.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I hear ya. I had a 1000-5 and have since sold it. My wife and I went out to the Black Hills in May, and rode with our friends who had a Polaris Northstar. We followed them on gravel roads for probably 6-8 miles. The dust was terrible and my wife hated it. I even kept my distance from them trying to minimze the dust. Like you said, there was dust everywhere on the Honda, including ourselves. Why Honda can't build something comparable for the buyer that wants a more refined SXS, and those type features, I have no clue. The first thing my wife said when we finally loaded up the Honda to drive home was...we need to sell our Honda and get something like they have.
Let us know how the next unit does following someone for 6-8 miles on dusty roads.......... 🤦‍♂️

advertisement
A

ArizonaSilverado

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a decent article on the topic of dust: Dust in side by sides

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If Honda actually offered a small limousine with 1000 cc engine, DCT, and 4wd none of the people complaining about the dust or heat would pay the $30,000+ price tag.

The Canadian machines with rubber band automatic are much cheaper to manufacture so they can offer sealed plastic cabs.

Personally, I wouldn't own a side by side with rubber band drive.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!