Somehow bought Talon 1000X-4

Buenosdiaz

Buenosdiaz

May 5, 2021
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good morning everybody.

I was lucky enough to get a call back from one of the 20 dealerships I had called over the last 3 months that they had a Talon 1000X-4 show up and was ready for sale immediately. After a very very small bit of negotiation I bought it 1.5 hours later and plan on picking it up tomorrow once it completes getting putting together.

I am a guy that typically researches the heck out of accessories beforehand and am finding myself strapped for time but beyond excited to get out and get riding with the family. This is my first SXS but I come from 17 years off and on of riding 2004 Suzuki LTZ 400’s and can’t wait to share the experience with my wife and young children.

Nice to meet you all and any advice that can be given on safety for myself and family(Kids are 6 and 4) and immediate accessories (which winch to get, skid plates) is highly appreciated!

This weekend will be my first ride in a SXS and MY SXS so feel free to give out any information you deem important to a newbie!

12CC35AB E840 499D A7CD 6BFAFF7966E3

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Canton, OH
Rule: Pics or it didn't happen
Fact: Red is the fastest color (but you can add stickers to make up for it)

#NTC

The rest of this is only because you asked....

Safety related....
First rule of family SxS....make sure they all know to keep all appendages inside at all times. Nothing good ever comes from sticking an arm/hand/leg/foot/etc out of one. I suggest you keep the nets for the little ones. Adults do what you will, but the nets are there to help enforce this rule.

Drivers....teach anyone driving to keep the thumbs out of steering wheel. Meaning don't wrap the thumbs inside it, keep them along the curve. More than one person has had a thumb dislocated by catching something with a front tire.

Seatbelts/helmets...they often avoid tragedy's. Use them and it becomes part of riding. Selectively use them and someone is bound to make a regrettable decision while they are not in use.

Machine related...
Vent lines....extend them or walk every mud hole you are thinking of going in. Nothing ruins a machine faster than sucking in water. It's cheap insurance because eventually you will find one that is deeper than you thought. And the gas tank vent lines are under the seat and have been known to suck water in just during the washing.

Air intake...on the Talon, get it out of the wheel well into clean air. Put a prefilter on it when you do.

Winch...if riding out with a single machine it becomes required. If going out with others, it's better to have and not need than vice versa.

....everything else, ride a bit and decide what you feel you need/want. You can spend far more on add-ons than the initial cost of the machine if you want to. But you certainly don't have to.

My two cents for what it's worth....which ain't much

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Congrats on the new rig. It takes some time to get used to the DCT in the Talon/P1K, it can seem noisy at first but don't fret. Check all fluids when taking delivery, before you leave the dealer. More than a few Talons have come with low oil in the subtrans.

Buenosdiaz

Buenosdiaz

May 5, 2021
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Welcome from Canton, OH
Rule: Pics or it didn't happen
Fact: Red is the fastest color (but you can add stickers to make up for it)

#NTC

The rest of this is only because you asked....

Safety related....
First rule of family SxS....make sure they all know to keep all appendages inside at all times. Nothing good ever comes from sticking an arm/hand/leg/foot/etc out of one. I suggest you keep the nets for the little ones. Adults do what you will, but the nets are there to help enforce this rule.

Drivers....teach anyone driving to keep the thumbs out of steering wheel. Meaning don't wrap the thumbs inside it, keep them along the curve. More than one person has had a thumb dislocated by catching something with a front tire.

Seatbelts/helmets...they often avoid tragedy's. Use them and it becomes part of riding. Selectively use them and someone is bound to make a regrettable decision while they are not in use.

Machine related...
Vent lines....extend them or walk every mud hole you are thinking of going in. Nothing ruins a machine faster than sucking in water. It's cheap insurance because eventually you will find one that is deeper than you thought. And the gas tank vent lines are under the seat and have been known to suck water in just during the washing.

Air intake...on the Talon, get it out of the wheel well into clean air. Put a prefilter on it when you do.

Winch...if riding out with a single machine it becomes required. If going out with others, it's better to have and not need than vice versa.

....everything else, ride a bit and decide what you feel you need/want. You can spend far more on add-ons than the initial cost of the machine if you want to. But you certainly don't have to.

My two cents for what it's worth....which ain't much

This is the exact info I’m looking for, thank you!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

The link in my sig has some helpful new kid Talon tidbits including a snorkel/prefilter idea. Most important - check the oil level in the sub trans before riding; many, including both of mine, were delivered low. Mine were 10 oz low which is 1/3 of its capacity. :mad: They use the same oil as your motor (but not shared).

This is also my first SxS after a lifetime of dirt bikes (aged out). The Talon has been the perfect next step for me and will keep me exploring the backcounty for the rest of my life. #ridin'

advertisement
SharkBite1125

SharkBite1125

Apr 29, 2021
Staten Island NY
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Awesome, congratulations
Good morning everybody.

I was lucky enough to get a call back from one of the 20 dealerships I had called over the last 3 months that they had a Talon 1000X-4 show up and was ready for sale immediately. After a very very small bit of negotiation I bought it 1.5 hours later and plan on picking it up tomorrow once it completes getting putting together.

I am a guy that typically researches the heck out of accessories beforehand and am finding myself strapped for time but beyond excited to get out and get riding with the family. This is my first SXS but I come from 17 years off and on of riding 2004 Suzuki LTZ 400’s and can’t wait to share the experience with my wife and young children.

Nice to meet you all and any advice that can be given on safety for myself and family(Kids are 6 and 4) and immediate accessories (which winch to get, skid plates) is highly appreciated!

This weekend will be my first ride in a SXS and MY SXS so feel free to give out any information you deem important to a newbie!

View attachment 270004
🔥

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Oh yeah, we’ve got rocks here. May I ask which skid plate you went with?
I've heard good things about the SuperATV. I don't have a Talon, but I ride with quite a few guys that have them. @Vondy which one do you have? Pretty much anything other than the factory skid and you can't go wrong.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!