Southern AZ tire choices

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the info I've been able to gather buy lurking so far! Our 2021 1000X-4 will be here in a couple months so I'm starting to acquire parts now.

Most of my driving will be in Southern AZ, but occasionally in dunes in Mexico, and a couple times a year in Red Feather Lakes, CO. I'll travel some paved roads to get to trails, but DOT cert is not crucial as my bead locks aren't DOT approved. I don't plan to turbo (possibly Hess all-motor stage 2 if long term reviews come back positive), so I'm aware of the penalty of heavier tire/wheel combos.

Wheels: STI HD9 6+1 Fronts, 4+3 Rears. Choosing 14" for extra side wall when airing down (unless you tell me to get 15")

Tires:
1st choice:
Maxxis Rampage 30X10-14 (so far great reviews, lighter weight, and i like that they are carvers in corners vs. sliding/drifting like some of the others)

Others considered:
MRT Dual Threat (spendy and appeal of Aramid belt has worn off after reviews of Aramid tires slicing on rocks being just as easy as Nylon belt)
BFG KM3 (great reviews but heavy)
Tensor Regulator (great reviews but heavy)
Kanati Mongrel (great reviews but slides easier in corners)
Tusk Terrabite Aramid (some not sealing in beadlocks due to thinner bead and reports of easily slicing)

Please let me know if you've run 2 or more of these and how they might compare in my various terrains. I'm not afraid to spend money, I just don't want to waist it!

Reactions: Lil_Steve
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi and welcome from Gilbert!

Sounds like you're going to be/are pretty knowledgeable about the Talon by the time you receive it. Now that the Talon has been on the market for a couple of years we're benefiting from more aftermarket options/choices.

I have the same STI HD9 wheels you're considering in the same offsets but in 15". The only thing that comes to mind is possible clearance issues with a 14" wheel on the front. If I remember correctly a 14" (not all) might rub a little on a nub of the upper control arm? There's a few wheel/tire threads with good info but I can't remember exactly which one/one's specifically mentioned the possible wheel interference.

I've had the Tensor regulators on my former Teryx 800 and they were great/tough in all the conditions (jagged rocky desert, open terrain, moderate sand but not dunes) I encountered and had long tread life. But I had nothing to compare it to, nor any previous experience in a SxS.

I currently have the Tusk Terrabite's (not the Aramid) in a 32x10x15 on my HD9 bead locks, and they've disappointed me in most expectations except tire life and handling. My experience has been that the sidewalls are not tough enough, not stiff enough, and even the main tread carcass has been a disappointment having been pierced by branches on a couple of occasions. I typically never ran them below 10psi. That's just my experience, many have had no issues over several thousand miles of use. Oh, and yes the bead doesn't seem to have enough surface area to always make a good seal on a bead lock.

The HD9/Terrabites are off the Talon at the moment while I finish trying to repair their several leaks, in the meantime I've mounted 4 front stock wheels with 1.5" spacers on the rear to hold me over. On the rear of the Talon is a pair of Kanati Mongrels on stock front rims. They're 28x10x15. I've put about 500 miles on them so far and have had no issues with jagged rocks, fast open desert trail, fast rocky sand washes and pavement. They're wearing well and seem tough enough, they're 10 ply.

At some point when I wear out what's on my 4 stock front wheels, I intend to go to a 30x10x15 and right now the BFG KM3 is at the top of my consideration, the Kanati Mongrel is second on my list.

Reactions: Hometeam and CID
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Hi and welcome from Gilbert!

Sounds like you're going to be/are pretty knowledgeable about the Talon by the time you receive it. Now that the Talon has been on the market for a couple of years we're benefiting from more aftermarket options/choices.

I have the same STI HD9 wheels you're considering in the same offsets but in 15". The only thing that comes to mind is possible clearance issues with a 14" wheel on the front. If I remember correctly a 14" (not all) might rub a little on a nub of the upper control arm? There's a few wheel/tire threads with good info but I can't remember exactly which one/one's specifically mentioned the possible wheel interference.

I've had the Tensor regulators on my former Teryx 800 and they were great/tough in all the conditions (jagged rocky desert, open terrain, moderate sand but not dunes) I encountered and had long tread life. But I had nothing to compare it to, nor any previous experience in a SxS.

I currently have the Tusk Terrabite's (not the Aramid) in a 32x10x15 on my HD9 bead locks, and they've disappointed me in most expectations except tire life and handling. My experience has been that the sidewalls are not tough enough, not stiff enough, and even the main tread carcass has been a disappointment having been pierced by branches on a couple of occasions. I typically never ran them below 10psi. That's just my experience, many have had no issues over several thousand miles of use. Oh, and yes the bead doesn't seem to have enough surface area to always make a good seal on a bead lock.

The HD9/Terrabites are off the Talon at the moment while I finish trying to repair their several leaks, in the meantime I've mounted 4 front stock wheels with 1.5" spacers on the rear to hold me over. On the rear of the Talon is a pair of Kanati Mongrels on stock front rims. They're 28x10x15. I've put about 500 miles on them so far and have had no issues with jagged rocks, fast open desert trail, fast rocky sand washes and pavement. They're wearing well and seem tough enough, they're 10 ply.

At some point when I wear out what's on my 4 stock front wheels, I intend to go to a 30x10x15 and right now the BFG KM3 is at the top of my consideration, the Kanati Mongrel is second on my list.

STI have 14” Talon specific wheels. These are what I’ve been considering. They say that they will fit X&R https://www.utvguide.net/honda-talon-1000r-30-inch-tire-test-featuring-sti-powersports/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lil_Steve
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
STI have 14” Talon specific wheels. These are what I’ve been considering. They say that they will fit X&R https://www.utvguide.net/honda-talon-1000r-30-inch-tire-test-featuring-sti-powersports/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The STI tire in that article looks impressive.

Talon-Track-Show.jpg

Reactions: Raynman
Raynman

Raynman

Sudo Flotation device inspector
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2019
Thumb area, Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have EFX Motovators on my Wildcat XX, love them seriously thinking of upgrading my P1000-5 to them, but the STI tires interest me also

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I had considered the STI tires, but they weigh quite a bit. Then saw the Maxxis Rampage tires, with a similar blocky squared-off tread, and quite a bit lighter.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have ran the MRT dual-threat in the rear combined with the MRT race in the front. That setup handled very well in the corners and had extremely good traction. But they do wear a bit faster. Pretty light tire also.

I have the Crawler XG on our YXZ. They are great all around tire that has decent tire wear on it. They aren't a light tire but they are not a heavy tire either.

I have the Kanati Terra Masters on my Talon now. I am extremely happy with these tires! They are light and grip. They have done great in every terrain for me. They handle awesome in the corners! The sidewalls have held up to the rocks also. I got 500+ miles on them and the tread wear is doing ok. So far I will buy these again!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!