P1000 Speed limiter for P1000

R

RodRocket

It seems most SxS owners/drivers are looking for more speed, but I am not. I have very rough bush tracks and I am wanting to limit the speed of my P1000 by eager drivers with a lead foot and no care. Some Yamaha SxS have factory fitted switchable speed limiters. Is there a good 3rd party speed limiter I can fit to my P1000 without affecting any warranty issues with Honda? There are some that cause the engine to misfire repeatably and limit the speed that way, but that seems very crude. Any advice would be welcome.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the USofA in Michigan!
Neever heard of someone wanting to restrict the speed of the P1 usually wanting make it faster lol.
all i can think of is possibly a tuner that might have that option?

So its your first post. Theres an unwritten gospel around here so we know u have and can see your ride!
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
;) 🤟

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It seems most SxS owners/drivers are looking for more speed, but I am not. I have very rough bush tracks and I am wanting to limit the speed of my P1000 by eager drivers with a lead foot and no care. Some Yamaha SxS have factory fitted switchable speed limiters. Is there a good 3rd party speed limiter I can fit to my P1000 without affecting any warranty issues with Honda? There are some that cause the engine to misfire repeatably and limit the speed that way, but that seems very crude. Any advice would be welcome.
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I think the easiest way would be to put a hidden switch in the seatbelt circuit making it think it's not fastened.

If I have to worry about someone abusing my ride, they won't be driving it.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to suggest a crude idea, but may help. Put something, block of wood cut to fit, under / behind the gas pedal. Limit the travel of the gas pedal to only go down until it stops against a "blocker" of some kind. This is how youth atvs are adjusted, the throttle cable has an adjuster to limit the amount of throttle travel. Instead of modifying something electrical, adjust something physical?

This block of wood is for my short wife to be able to touch her heel on the floor, to avoid the lunging when her foot is only on the pedal. She can't touch the floor so I did this. The notch is for the gas pedal to travel through, and it runs as normal, but what if that notch was not cut out? Don't do anything to make the pedal get stuck down accidentally, but something can block that pedal to only travel a short distance. Just an idea. Good luck!

View

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im pretty sure i saw Florida Cracker Performance Tuning offering a speed limiting tune kind of like a freebie when you bought other tunes before but i cant find the post about it now.
fcptuning.com (and on facebook)
you can probably contact him and see if its something he still offers.

if all you want is speed limiting this will not be a cheap route. you need the Dynojet PV3 which is $400 + whatever he wants to charge for the tune, if he still offers it (and if im remembering correctly).

tromano1706

tromano1706

Jun 21, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rented one on vacation in Aruba before purchasing the one we have now. I noticed that they had it limited a little by simply drilling and tapping a hold through the gas pedal arm. Basically it limited the pedal travel to about 80%. I imagine you could do the same thing with a nut and bolt on the gas pedal.

R

RodRocket

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions.
The ideas of limiting the gas pedal movement and therefore the amount of gas to the engine, just limits the power output. But it is not power I want to limit, just the ground speed in any gear selection.
I have thought about a hidden or key-locked switch that cuts the seat belt circuit. I understand a warning light in the dash comes on to indicate the seat belt is not buckled, and therefore the reduced ground speed.
Maybe that's the way to go, but I would like to be able to select the actual speed limit depending on track, seasonal and weather conditions.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many thanks for everyone's suggestions.
The ideas of limiting the gas pedal movement and therefore the amount of gas to the engine, just limits the power output. But it is not power I want to limit, just the ground speed in any gear selection.
I have thought about a hidden or key-locked switch that cuts the seat belt circuit. I understand a warning light in the dash comes on to indicate the seat belt is not buckled, and therefore the reduced ground speed.
Maybe that's the way to go, but I would like to be able to select the actual speed limit depending on track, seasonal and weather conditions.
Just get the seatbelt delete and run a secret switch to it and your done.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!