P1000 Speedometer Calibration

J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Folks,

I have Camso tracks on my P1K-5. The tracks gear it down aprox. 60% so if my speedo says 50 mph I'm really only doing 30.
It drives and shifts fine as is.

I need to correct my speedometer error and through searching I've found a couple products like 12oclock labs and Healtech that correct this issue.

However, the problem I worry about is that I have also read that the P1K-5 gets speed signals from 3 different places. The front diff, the rear diff. and the subtrans.

My question is do I need to correct all of the speed signals or can I just correct 1 to get my speedometer to read correctly?
If just 1 then which one and where is the wire harness for it?

Thanks,
Jason

Reactions: Lady01
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kept searching, an found this that actually answers your question.
From what I've saw, The rear diff VSS handles the speedo, The front diff VSS and the subtrans VSS controls the shifting. It will not shift out of first gear if the front VSS is not getting a signal. It should also use one of the VSS's for power steering assist based on vehicle speed.
Have a good day

J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good morning Mark,

I also used the search bar (here and Google) and found those devices and another called yellow box made in Australia.

My problem isn't finding one. My question is do I only need one or do I need 3. And if only 1 where do I put it.

Your quote from SnuffnWhisky is closer to what I'm looking for. Thank you for this.....If he is correct then I need to install 1 on the rear diff VSS to correct the spedometer.

What I don't know is if I only install 1 (on the rear diff VSS) will the buggy still shift and drive fine or will it mess that up because I didn't correct the other 2 VSS????????

Through Google I found a couple Amazon reviews of these products stating that they used 3 devices on their P1K. One on each sensor.

I also contacted the manufactures of the speedo calibration devices and they can't give me an answer as to how many I'll need either.

I'm hoping either someone here has done this with just 1 and can say it fixed the speedo without screwing up the shifting
OR
Someone super knoweledgable about the P1K-5 systems can tell me.

Thanks,
Jason

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going by a weak memory, it seems you have to use at least 2 of them, one in each diff because the computer has to know both ends are turning the same speed. I can't help with how it will affect shifting.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I just run mine the way it is and just go roughly by half of what the speedo says. Tracks suck back lot more gas .

Reactions: CID and Lady01
J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just run mine the way it is and just go roughly by half of what the speedo says. Tracks suck back lot more gas .

That's what I've been doing and isn't an issue except the miles put on the odometer are almost double what you actually travel. $200 now could save thousands in resale value due to higher mileage.

Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I recently installed the 12oclock labs device on the rear sensor. It only adjusts the speedo as far as I can tell. When setting the device my GPS indicated 12km/hr and the speedo indicated 20km/hr - more or less. Approx. 60% of indicated speed. The shift points have not changed. They have an online calculator to determine the setting to input and you can use MPH or KPH to calculate the percentage and in my case I used -40%. You can then print out the exact steps to input the adjustment setting into the device.

It took a while to locate the sensor! Picture below.

Sensor 1

J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently installed the 12oclock labs device on the rear sensor. It only adjusts the speedo as far as I can tell. When setting the device my GPS indicated 12km/hr and the speedo indicated 20km/hr - more or less. Approx. 60% of indicated speed. The shift points have not changed. They have an online calculator to determine the setting to input and you can use MPH or KPH to calculate the percentage and in my case I used -40%. You can then print out the exact steps to input the adjustment setting into the device.

It took a while to locate the sensor! Picture below.

View attachment 321908

PERFECT!!! That is exactly what I wanted to know and you gave me a great PIC. Thank you!!!

I was worried that only changing 1 might mess up the computer/clutch shifting.
Sounds like you've done it with no issues.

You must have Camso tracks too since your off 60%/40% like I am.

Reactions: CID and Lady01
advertisement
J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi folks,

I just wanted to let anyone reading this thread know that I did install a single sensor the same as Trevan posted above and it appears to be workin perfectly!!! I've only done a short test ride but it appears to shift normally with only the speedometer affected (corrected).

Thank you to everyone that replied to this post!!!!

Jason