Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Today I have my neighbors 700 for this same thing.
At a cretin rpm its a chirp noise. Its driving her and me crazy.
Push the exhaust with my shoe and it almost stops. But comes back after a drive.
Got to dig into it tomorrow.

Would like more info on the location of this metal you bent.
Please.

H

heybo

Jun 25, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think I’ve temporarily solved the exhaust squeak. At the top of the exhaust (closest side to the the cab) there is a metal plate that is close to the heat shield. That was rubbing the heat shield so I bent it in a little and no more squeak. I’m not exactly mechanically sound so I’ll have to take a picture in the morning to help my poor explanation.
234773B9 90DF 4C2C 8259 A38708CC9D70
here is where I stuck a stick in there and made a little space between the exhaust and the metal plate. After a few days of riding I have now noticed new squeaking.. maybe covered up by the noise this problem created. I just can’t come to terms with spending this much money on a noise maker.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Gonna bring this back up again with some findings....

1st off...the exhaust system on these is just f***ing stupid. The engineer responsible for this design should have committed hara-kiri...or better yet, be forced to listen to it for the rest of his/her life. It was a constant battle with my original 2014, and this one seems like it is even worse.

2 areas I have identified in addition to the clamps and everything else mentioned in this thread: the busing where the rear section mounts to the engine cradle, and the band-clamp where the pipe goes together.
I took the busing out and basically coated it with never seize, and that seems to be holding up.

The band clamp...I don't know what to make of it. I don't know if it's this actual joint that squeaks, or if it just the pipe reverberating at the head or something, but tightening this clamp will cure one of the squeaks for about 30 miles or so until it starts again, and I tighten it again. What's weird is that it doesn't look like the bolts are backing out any. Today I blew a gasket (no pun intended) and tightened the living hell out of this out on the trail. We'll see how it does...

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So...I think I've narrowed this down to the joint where I tightened the clamp as the issue. I'd you push on the exhaust when hot, you know you get a creaking noise from it. Seems like no matter what, this will start to make noise when it gets good and hot. I think this "creaking" sound turns into a chirp.

Last week, I noticed the rubber bushing the rear section mounts on seems like it has a lot of play, so I pulled it. Looked ok, but I put a few wraps of electrical tape on the outside as a test. I also re lubed everything in there.
I once again tighten the double clamp down as as tight as it would go, and added nuts on the back to help ensure they aren't backing out.
For my effort, most of the ride Saturday was squeak free. Only towards the end of the ride, and then not too bad.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a collar to the exhaust bushing to take out all of the deflection except for the bushing itself, but I'm kinda worried too much might cause the exhaust to crack. I would guess that this would have been mounted as solid as Honda could have unless there was a reason.

The other thing I'm considering is putting 2-3 real exhaust clamps at the joint, and getting one right on the solid metal doughnut on the front pipe, and tightening the s*** out of it. Im really f***ing tired of hearing this lame ass exhaust make noise when there was no reason for it.

I've ordered a new gasket/collar for the joint itself to try this. In the meantime, my factory clamp was just a hair off being centered on the doughnut, so I moved it as far forward as it will go. The difference is maybe a few mm, but we'll see what happens.

Reactions: CID and Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Update: the clamp move did nothing. Still a bit o squeak after some operation. Next stop: taking more play out of the bushing and maybe more clamping at the joint.

Reactions: Mudwing
P

Pioneer500

Jan 12, 2017
Dayton, Nv.
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone had issues with constant squeaks? It worsens after turning and pressing the gas? I’ve checked for trash and looked for loose bolts but have had no luck. I hear squeaks near the right front tire and near the engine bay. Any help would be appreciated, it’s getting pretty annoying.
My 700-2 has a squeak in the front suspension and when turning but not all he time. It is very annoying. It seems to do it after it has been sprayed with water. I have lubricated all of the suspension bushings but it still does it. I do not beat it while riding

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!