highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Finally got my Starlink in this week and running yesterday. First speed test showed 119 download, 15 upload.

We are in a rural area with Viasat satellite internet for about 6 years now and it's been very reliable. At that time we ditched our 1.5 MAX speed Centurylink junk and jumped to about 18-23 average speed with Viasat. I can't complain. The Starlink was very easy to setup and it's quick. For the first time we can actually fast forward streaming video!!

Initial setup is in my yard on the ground. I have a lot of trees all the way around me so I'll have to get on the roof and check obstructions for a permanent mounting location.

My mom and her brother got their Starlinks last year and have had no issues.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Finally got my Starlink in this week and running yesterday. First speed test showed 119 download, 15 upload.

We are in a rural area with Viasat satellite internet for about 6 years now and it's been very reliable. At that time we ditched our 1.5 MAX speed Centurylink junk and jumped to about 18-23 average speed with Viasat. I can't complain. The Starlink was very easy to setup and it's quick. For the first time we can actually fast forward streaming video!!

Initial setup is in my yard on the ground. I have a lot of trees all the way around me so I'll have to get on the roof and check obstructions for a permanent mounting location.

My mom and her brother got their Starlinks last year and have had no issues.
I got mine a month or so ago… been happy with the initial test… need to get power (Solar) run so that it can be up 24/7

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
What kind of latency are you seeing? I used to have WildBlue satellite Internet years ago before cable was available out here and the latency made it mostly worthless. Curious to see how far they've come.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
What kind of latency are you seeing? I used to have WildBlue satellite Internet years ago before cable was available out here and the latency made it mostly worthless. Curious to see how far they've come.
I didn’t notice anything significant while I tested streaming YouTube

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
We've had it for a year or so, had Viasat before and there's no comparison. Maybe not broadband cable speeds but it's damn close. We use a streaming service for TV and haven't had 1 issue w it

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have mine on my roof peak. I Designed a bracket that sets the dish anywhere on you peak and is adjustable from a flat roof all the way to beyond a 12/12 pitch. It has trays to set standard solid cement blocks in (up to 6 per side) and does not require it to be screwed to the roof. I made one for my parents and it stayed on their roof when Hurricane Laura hit the Louisiana Gulf Coast (165 mph winds). They sell roof mount options but I didn't want to poke holes in my roof. I make a separate piece that weld to the crossmember where the dish bolts to.

We had Century Link and they were ok until the start of "Covid", and then all of a sudden, our service would only work every other day. When it was working I could only get about 1 mbps at best. Before it was somewhere between 10-20 mbps even though I was paying for 40 mbps. We immediately bought Starlink and would not go back for anything. I consistently get over 200 mbps in my home and I have a WIFI bridge setup to send internet to my Bear Cave/shop about 100 yards from the house where I consistently get over 125 mbps.

Adjustable Dish Mount

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Then you have puckers like @JACKAL who live 20 minutes up a mountain road, its 30 minutes to the closest Dollar General or gas station, hour to Walmart and he has 1GB wired service.

I signed up for Starlink, but T-Moblie and now Verizon Wireless home internet are pushing 100mbps for $25 a month.
Supposed to be unlimited, but I have noticed some throttling.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Then you have puckers like @JACKAL who live 20 minutes up a mountain road, its 30 minutes to the closest Dollar General or gas station, hour to Walmart and he has 1GB wired service.

I signed up for Starlink, but T-Moblie and now Verizon Wireless home internet are pushing 100mbps for $25 a month.
I looked into that for our place but cell signal is sh|tty in most places….

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We were on a list to get Star Link for over 3 years and finnally got early this summer. We are rual as fuc and could only get Regular satellite (sucked) and DSL from frontier on non fiberoptic lines that would go out when a fly farted.
My wife works from home most of the time and does zoom calls with patients and zoom meetings with other Docs. With the DSL it would frequently go out in the middle of the call so she would have to teather her phone and that sucked as well but it never went out that way which is pretty sad.
I hated getting the 2-3 times a week “the internet is out!” Ugh….
So now having Star Link its awesome. Very fast no lag even on Lube Tube. I used there mount to mount it on the peak of my house. And for most no more phone calls from the wife! 😁
The only issue i have is when we loose power you have to reboot the modem everytime but ill take that over the ones we had all day!

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I know what its like I first had Sat ISP in 1998 for $150 month I actually got 150kb sec vs. 56k dial up that always disconnected. lived with that miserable "only option" for 5 years.

My subdivision was very fortunate to have received this Gig Fiber service approximately 2 years ago, all due to the Obama push for "Rural Internet Access" program and the local provider (Highland Telecommunications) being awarded funding due to the lack of any options including dial up to many people in the area.

My first 5 years here I used Exede Satellite which was a division of Hughes Net, but was based off new Satellites launched in January 2017 - it did provide 100MB service sometimes, always had a connection but definately not worth the $200 per month fee.

July 2021 HTC finished up all the wiring and I hornswaggled my way in to beta testing for 60 days on the new connection, in which they provided me an unrestricted bandwidth allocation to stress test it. My PC Motherboard was limted to a 2.5GB sec ehternet port as well as my ASUS Router. I was able to easily max that out playing around with huge downloads etc.

Now everything is set at 1GB sec up and down with an average latency of 4ms for $59 per month. I could not be happier, I have my Fiber box on my UPS battery backup and never lose internet, even if power is off (my whole place has a backup 22KW generator)

Speedtest 917MB 9 7 23

Anyway back to Satellite ISP.

Starlink has a newer antenna, but its pricey like $2500 its more robust, is faster as it links multiple sats in paralell for even more bandwidth. It runs the same tech as their moble in motion sat dish that constantly tracks and connects to severl sats in motion for an uninterrupted connection. Many top end motorhomes are offering this new option for an always connected experience and Starlink offers a month by month service for those who don't RV full time.

If I was to invest in any Sat setup today, and really needed 200mb sec + connection, it would be using the In Motion dish, even at home for the most rugged and highest performance solution long term. Just my 2 cent.

Starlink Mobility

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
There is no noticeable latency. The Starlink loaded my website editor like nothing last night! Zipped right along.

AT&T is the only cellular service that really works at home for me but their hot spot box would not work at all. Too many trees around me and unfortunately I'm not on a mountain!

Reactions: Smitty335 and Coeus
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

ALL satellite internet EXCEPT Starlink will be 700-1100 ms latency - worthless for the most part

STARLINK has a typical latency of under 40ms - Anything under 100 ms is good / acceptable. Anything under 20 ms is outstanding.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
ALL satellite internet EXCEPT Starlink will be 700-1100 ms latency - worthless for the most part

STARLINK has a typical latency of under 40ms - Anything under 100 ms is good / acceptable. Anything under 20 ms is outstanding.
I know nothing about the tech involved, but how is it that Starlink is able to get the latency down so low? In my simple brain, I just picture the data still having to travel up the the sats and then back down again, which obviously used to take some time. I'm curious what Starlink does to speed up that process.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Coeus
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I know nothing about the tech involved, but how is it that Starlink is able to get the latency down so low? In my simple brain, I just picture the data still having to travel up the the sats and then back down again, which obviously used to take some time. I'm curious what Starlink does to speed up that process.
Low orbit satellites, and a bunch of them.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Low orbit satellites, and a bunch of them.
Innernet says the Starlink satellites are 340 miles up while the GPS sats are 12,550 miles up. At the speed of light, that's about .0000000000000000001 of a second.

I've always been amazed that my GPS can see me move a foot in traffic. :oops:

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have had Starlink at the house for over a year now. Not one complaints with the equipment or service.
I also have a Starlink that we carry in our RV. This unit has been to Tennessee 2 or 3 times, Florida and every where between. We just returned from a 5600 mile Pacific Northwest trip. We set it up in at least 20 different locations, with no problems.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve had starlink for over a year. I like it a lot better than hugesnet or star communications. We can only get dial up. I can almost see an international airport from my house, 10 minutes from Walmart, and can only get dial-up through the wires according to the phone company.

We bring it back and forth (we still have porability for 145 a month) between our house and cabin. We also brought it with over our 3300 mile trip out west in an rv this summer.

We had a dish die about 1 or 2 months after we got it. I submitted a ticket and had a new one within a week no questions asked. They even gave me a return label and that month they gave for free for my troubles. So, no complaints on the 1 issue I’ve had.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!