CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
so ... i'm simple and low tech...
looks like you can turn the SL on and off as needed? and, what tech is needed to allow text capability.
Don't need much call cabability, but some internet and text is great.
Yes, you can pause service when you want, details in post #12.

I'd think that if I can make calls with my phone over the internet, I 'should' be able to text too. But I've been wrong before, especially any time tech is involved. What little I know about voice over internet is that if my phone sees wifi, it will use it for my call which also eliminates any data usage against my cell plan.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IDK how any of this sh!t works honestly but I needed wifi in the garage. My garage power is fed from the house so I was advised to get one of these. Plug one into an outlet nearest the house panel and the other nearest to the garage panel. I've had it for a few yrs now and it works great.

Starling just lowered the price of the Standard size panel Gen 3 to $299 if. Anybody is looking. We are in the process of installing one on our HDT RV Hauler. Star-Link makes a 12v conversion and with the Gen 3 you can use any router. We are going with ne of the Peplink routers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note that the Starlink Mini has the router built into it while the regular SL dish has a separate router. That router is about 4" x 10" x 2-1/2" (total guesses by what I've seen in videos). Since I'm using this for travel in the RV, the internal router is one less component to wire up every time I set it up.

And since I'll be using this almost exclusively at remote campsites, the smaller Mini (~30 watts) suits me better than the larger standard dish (45-50 watts). That lower power draw is a big deal for my off-grid camping preference.

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Note that the Starlink Mini has the router built into it while the regular SL dish has a separate router. That router is about 4" x 10" x 2-1/2" (total guesses by what I've seen in videos). Since I'm using this for travel in the RV, the internal router is one less component to wire up every time I set it up.

And since I'll be using this almost exclusively at remote campsites, the smaller Mini (~30 watts) suits me better than the larger standard dish (45-50 watts). That lower power draw is a big deal for my off-grid camping preference.
I need to do something at my cabin. I have a hot spot there that is spotty. Id like to do SL but I really dont want to pay 2 separate big $$ bills for it. I need it cor my security cams and thermostat

Reactions: TxDoc
E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I almost went with Starlink for our campsite and eventual retirement cabin near Nemo and Windrock, but the math just never worked out, and we would have had to remove more trees than I wanted to.

We went with the rural internet provider, who ran 600 feet of fiber into our site without batting an eye. The guy who initially came out to do the splice even suspended it in the trees over our driveway using a cherry picker until a crew can come with the equipment to bury it. Paying for 12 months of that is about the same as five months of Starlink with activation/deactivation.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need to do something at my cabin. I have a hot spot there that is spotty. Id like to do SL but I really dont want to pay 2 separate big $$ bills for it. I need it cor my security cams and thermostat
I don't have any idea how much data security cams and thermostat might use but they have a 50 gig plan for $50 a month.

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I don't have any idea how much data security cams and thermostat might use but they have a 50 gig plan for $50 a month.
I dont think very much

Reactions: CID