BOX1

P500 Starter leaking oil.

J

JohnVt

Nov 26, 2016
Albany, Vermont
Ownership

1. 500
Last year I changed out the factory starter on my 15 P500. Now, I have oil leaking from the aftermarket starter. I disassembled the starter and it is full of oil. I'm wondering why as the factory starter, toasted as it was, was dry (magnets were shattered).
How do I remedy this? What is safe to use to clean the starter components? The starter still works...TIA
PS- A neighbor who is a small engine mechanic asked if the flywheel and starter gear were supposed to be runninng wet in oil or dry as in, how in the heck is the oil even getting to the starter? My answer was I simply don't know...

20220508 151208

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I completely dissembled the starter and you're correct. There isn't any o-ring or seal inside the nose, whether by design or by error I don't know.
Is there a slot for one?

Im not 100% sure Honda has one there either, but it makes sense that they would put one there for this reason.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Do you have the original starter?
If so you can compare the original to the new and see if there is an o-ring in the original, then if there is you can either grease up the old one and use it or use the old to determine the correct size for a new one.

S

SimonA

Sep 17, 2021
New Zealand
Ownership

1. 500
It's interesting to read the line in the attached instructions for removing/installing the starter motor ... it says "Remove the o-ring ...."; it then goes on to say to replace it with a new one, but if you don't read that far ....

The new (Honda) starter I recently bought and installed had an o-ring on it, but possibly an aftermarket one does not, instead expecting you to transfer the old to the new. Either way, it's essential as we've learnt from the above!

Sorry you've had that happen.

Attachments

• P5 Starter Removal Install-1.pdf
    476.4 KB · Views: 108
S

SimonA

Sep 17, 2021
New Zealand
Ownership

1. 500
Looking more closely at your photo's it looks like you DO have an o-ring on the nose of your starter, which is the only oil seal as far as can be seen. So perhaps that needs renewing or re-seating? Re-reading your posts, you are looking for a seal inside, and you're right, there doesn't appear to be one specified. There is another (tiny) o-ring (item #14 in the parts diagram) but that's at the other end of the starter for the rear cover, where the power wire connects.

It's not clear how oil on the shaft is prevented from getting past where the shaft meets the cover on the inside ... other than precision manufacturing.

So perhaps the front cover was mis-aligned with the case? (see the earlier PDF for removal/re-installation - there's a good diagram at the bottom showing how the various bits fit together). There is certainly a lot of oil in the area where the starter engages, which is normal, but it's hard to see how it could leak past the cover ....

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
The parts diagram doesn't really depict the nosepiece in detail, but possibly it has a pressed in, sealed bearing for the armature shaft to ride in which keeps the oil out at that location. Or, like you say, possibly a precision bushing in the nose keeps oil from getting past.

H

HondaTech

Im beginning to wonder if there is a seal inside the nose.

Or could there be another issue at hand? Pressurized crankcase maybe?
Ive never seen a starter fill with oil, even aftermarket ones.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!