P700 Stator/pickup Testing

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to repair about 23 wires in the main harness running up to the ecu, next to the fuel tank . Insulation was melted off of the wires and they got together when the driver was poking the fire with a stick. I cut and spliced one wire at the time as a temp patch. Now I have no spark and no fuel pulse. ECU is waiting at the dealer to be picked up. Does anyone know what the resistance would be on the pickup?

H

HondaTech

There isn't really a resistance check for the pulse coil, the only way i know to check for proper operation is output voltage at the ecm. But you would need a peak voltage tester or ignition analyzer to catch the pulse voltage, a normal multimeter wont catch it.

The blue/yellow wire and one of the green ground wires at the ecm connector are the 2 wires needed to test. If you have the proper equipment you should get .7 volts or more while cranking. If no voltage is present at the ecm, then test at the pulse generator connector and if voltage is present there, then the issue is between the harness and the ecm.

You can also check for input voltage to the ecm on the black/red wire in the 5 pin connector on the ecm with the key on. Should be battery voltage, if that's missing check for a blown ignition fuse or bad main relay.

Since your not getting any fuel or spark, it sounds like a ecm failure or ecm not being powered on.

Can you retrieve codes from the ecm on the dash?
Does the check engine light come on and go off when the key is turned on?
Does the CEL stay on or blink any codes?

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There isn't really a resistance check for the pulse coil, the only way i know to check for proper operation is output voltage at the ecm. But you would need a peak voltage tester or ignition analyzer to catch the pulse voltage, a normal multimeter wont catch it.

The blue/yellow wire and one of the green ground wires at the ecm connector are the 2 wires needed to test. If you have the proper equipment you should get .7 volts or more while cranking. If no voltage is present at the ecm, then test at the pulse generator connector and if voltage is present there, then the issue is between the harness and the ecm.

You can also check for input voltage to the ecm on the black/red wire in the 5 pin connector on the ecm with the key on. Should be battery voltage, if that's missing check for a blown ignition fuse or bad main relay.

Since your not getting any fuel or spark, it sounds like a ecm failure or ecm not being powered on.

Can you retrieve codes from the ecm on the dash?
Does the check engine light come on and go off when the key is turned on?
Does the CEL stay on or blink any codes?
I did pick up the ecm today, the buggy is at the ranch (2 hrs away). There r no codes and no cel. Ill plug up the new ecm in the am and see what happens. I did print your response to take with me.. Thanks a lot HT

H

HondaTech

Did the ECM get damaged in the fire?

The codes would only show or throw a CEL if the ECM is powering on.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did the ECM get damaged in the fire?

The codes would only show or throw a CEL if the ECM is powering on.
Not visibly, but ALL the damaged wires went to the ecm. The cowboy said the machine was running while he was fighting with the fire. It did shut down after that. When I got to it, 23 wires of the bundle had lost all of their insulation and were together. I confirmed power to the ecm after the repairs and just assumed the ecm had taken a hit first. All other systems seem to be working, fuel pump, all of the dash module, etc.......

Reactions: dgystyle

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!