Stereo Install/Key On Off

Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New member, so go easy on me. I'm trying to wire my Noam NUTV 4 stereo to my UTV. I'm trying to make it a key on off system. I see the 2 white wires with black strips coming from the acc fuse box. Is there a specific type of rocker switch that I need to have to get the power from the battery for the stereo and be able to run power to the switch thru the accessory wire so it's only on when the machine is on? Also, if I run voltmeter to each battery, will that cause a parasitic drain? I'm assuming both those acc wire are hot and it doesn't matter which one I tap. Seems like it should be so easy and I read all kinds of forums, but dont want to f up my 20k machine.

Reactions: JenElio and Mudder
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
New member, so go easy on me. I'm trying to wire my Noam NUTV 4 stereo to my UTV. I'm trying to make it a key on off system. I see the 2 white wires with black strips coming from the acc fuse box. Is there a specific type of rocker switch that I need to have to get the power from the battery for the stereo and be able to run power to the switch thru the accessory wire so it's only on when the machine is on? Also, if I run voltmeter to each battery, will that cause a parasitic drain? I'm assuming both those acc wire are hot and it doesn't matter which one I tap. Seems like it should be so easy and I read all kinds of forums, but dont want to f up my 20k machine.
1 of those white wires with the black stripe will not give u key on power. I tapped it because I was just looking for white wire with black stripe and was wrong. Lol had to retap the correct 1. Hondasxs store has a plug and play key on power source. Thats probably what I would have done if he had them 1.5 years ago when I did mine.

Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1 of those white wires with the black stripe will not give u key on power. I tapped it because I was just looking for white wire with black stripe and was wrong. Lol had to retap the correct 1. Hondasxs store has a plug and play key on power source. Thats probably what I would have done if he had them 1.5 years ago when I did mine.
So if I buy that plug and play system I just put that positive wire on the lower right prong for the rocker switch and that's how I get key on power to that switch?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So if I buy that plug and play system I just put that positive wire on the lower right prong for the rocker switch and that's how I get key on power to that switch?
If you're only running a radio and only want it to work with the key on, you won't need a rocker switch. The dual volt meter will need a relay that only allows the volt meter to come on when the key is turned on.

Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're only running a radio and only want it to work with the key on, you won't need a rocker switch. The dual volt meter will need a relay that only allows the volt meter to come on when the key is turned on.
Do you think the acc wire has enough power for the stereo? I'm afraid of blowing the fuse.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

I bought the plug and play harnesses. I made my accessory receptacle hot all the time and connected the key on wire to a bus bar. Now I have the ability to connect multiple accessories to key on power. Have had no issues so far. It's just to the right of the beer with the red wire going to it. It has a plastic cover that isn't installed in the picture that goes over it to prevent an accidental short.

Power buss

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I bought the plug and play harnesses. I made my accessory receptacle hot all the time and connected the key on wire to a bus bar. Now I have the ability to connect multiple accessories to key on power. Have had no issues so far. It's just to the right of the beer with the red wire going to it. It has a plastic cover that isn't installed in the picture that goes over it to prevent an accidental short.

View attachment 206006
That is a great intake plug!

• Haha
Reactions: russknight

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!