Pioneer 500 Key

deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Trying to get a key for my P500. I lost one. Went to the local Honda dealer and they sold me a blank for it. They do not make the keys, only sell blanks. They directed me to find a locksmith to make the key. I did go to a locksmith and he made me a key that does not work. Won't even go all the way into the switch. So, I'm guessing the Honda dealer gave me the wrong $10 blank. Anyways, is there a way to get a key direct from Honda or does anyone have a suggestion. The Honda dealer close by and their inventory is 60% Polaris, 30% Can Am with Honda being the leftover. Don't think I will be going back there.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Trying to get a key for my P500. I lost one. Went to the local Honda dealer and they sold me a blank for it. They do not make the keys, only sell blanks. They directed me to find a locksmith to make the key. I did go to a locksmith and he made me a key that does not work. Won't even go all the way into the switch. So, I'm guessing the Honda dealer gave me the wrong $10 blank. Anyways, is there a way to get a key direct from Honda or does anyone have a suggestion. The Honda dealer close by and their inventory is 60% Polaris, 30% Can Am with Honda being the leftover. Don't think I will be going back there.
My spare set disappeared for a while, so I went to locksmith, and he didn't carry the blank. went to local Honda dealer and they had the blank and cut the key in a couple minutes for about 10-12 dollars otd. worked good. make sure they deburred the key after cutting. if it's real sharp it might not fit or work correct. compare the cut to the original.

Reactions: Backwoods and Rdrcr
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did go to a locksmith and he made me a key that does not work. Won't even go all the way into the switch.
How can u even start to make a key if it wont go in all the way? Especially a locksmith!
Id get my money back from that dude fo sho

Take your vin# and call another dealers parts dpt mybe have to call a few others to see who wants to work with u.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My local True Value Hardware store has made honda keys for me in the past. Not a genuine Honda key but they worked

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OP figured out the dealer sold him the wrong blank to start with ......after it was cut
Yeah I seen that. Thats why i said You would think that the locksmith would have noticed the length difference before he cut it right?
If he didnt have the original to make it from? so Im assuming he had to take the cylinder out to do that or not and would have seen it to began with. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sorry, just the service tech in me. I have to correct the apprentices i get for doing the job twice. Just a hobbit lol

deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am ordering a new ignition assembly. Frustrated to say the least. BTW, the key lengths are the same. The new one only goes half way in. The new one it appears, to these old eyes, to be ever so slightly thicker. So I really can't dis on the locksmith. Still thinking its a wrong blank from the dealer.

Reactions: Buggyman and 906UP
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am ordering a new ignition assembly. Frustrated to say the least. BTW, the key lengths are the same. The new one only goes half way in. The new one it appears, to these old eyes, to be ever so slightly thicker. So I really can't dis on the locksmith. Still thinking its a wrong blank from the dealer.
Grind it down with a dremel?

Reactions: HiFive
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
a caliper can confirm and a palm sander on a flat surface can probably take care of

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!