TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering what your successful experience you've had with maintaining stored vehicles.

Could be anything from ATV, UTV, cars, trucks.

If it's inside. Has a trickle charger, protection from mice/rats from wiring destructing.

How often should you start it, and run it for to circulate all the fluids and run it at operating temperature?

And, any other tips you've found to be good to protect your investments.

Thanks

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Before I retired, I had 5 different race cars (not at the same time) that were only driven on the tracks, and usually had about a 5 or 6 month down time between seasons. All were garage kept, and never had any problem with mice or rats.

When I parked them at the end of season, I would siphon most of the gas, leaving only a gallon or less for occasional start up if I was working on it. If it was setting on the floor (not up on jack stands) I would "clock" the tires starting with the valve stems at 12 o'clock, and rotate them 1/4 turn every month to keep them from flat spotting. Also check the tire pressure at the same time to make sure you don't have a slow leak. I never really had a schedule for start up and get up to operating temp, although I probably tinkered with them every couple of months in the off season. Also a good time to spot any tiny fluid leaks on the floor. That's about all I can contribute.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you Silver_Alert

I hadn't considered the tires. I have a QuadraSteer truck and about every six months I'll drive it about five miles, and go thru the for wheel drive modes and the for wheel steer modes.

Thank you, again, that was very helpful.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I put my stuff on a trickle charger. Put some sort of fuel stabilizer in the tank (pic your poison) if Im worried about flat spots depending on where its parked, I will put the rig up on jack stands my P1 is parked for a month at a time now in my cabin Garage and thats what I do.

As for mice, I have a cat that lives there and this is him in the winter months.
70162615154  6DBAAEC6 6A8A 4B09 A2FF 3A9A7B9A3124

Seriously, I have multiple outdoor bait stations and that does a great job at keeping the mice out. Knock on wood I havent had any issues since keeping them filled.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Remington. I have electronic rat/mouse traps and bait, cause once, in winter, nice ate some truck wires. Not since the anti devices.

Would you worry about radial tires flat spotting, or just bias ply tires?

I do use Sta-bil and trickle chargers
Thank you

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
540RA

540RA

Not So Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2023
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Before I retired, I had 5 different race cars (not at the same time) that were only driven on the tracks, and usually had about a 5 or 6 month down time between seasons. All were garage kept, and never had any problem with mice or rats.

When I parked them at the end of season, I would siphon most of the gas, leaving only a gallon or less for occasional start up if I was working on it. If it was setting on the floor (not up on jack stands) I would "clock" the tires starting with the valve stems at 12 o'clock, and rotate them 1/4 turn every month to keep them from flat spotting. Also check the tire pressure at the same time to make sure you don't have a slow leak. I never really had a schedule for start up and get up to operating temp, although I probably tinkered with them every couple of months in the off season. Also a good time to spot any tiny fluid leaks on the floor. That's about all I can contribute.
Lots of good tips. For my "race car" i'll remove the battery and place it in a climate controlled area with a trickle charger. Remove the carb and drain the entire fuel system dry because it runs on E-85. Drain all coolant from the radiator and block. Remove the rocker arms to take pressure off the valve springs. Take load off of the tires with jack stands under the rear axle and A-Arms. Open the widows about a 1/4" and throw a cover on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!