P500 Stripped oil drain hole

K

kdou7048

Dec 18, 2020
Brewton, AL
Ownership

1. 500
So I recently purchased a new 500 and upon needing the first oil change I figured I could save some money and change it myself. I've changed oil on all my equipment in the past and never had any issues. So back to my the problem I ran into while doing this oil change. I read the specs and the owners manual just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Got down to the drain plug where it said to torque to 18 foot lbs and that's where my issue started. Ended up stripping the threads inside the oil pan. Is the fixable, is there a replacement oil pan, or is this something that's going to require me to replace everything. Please help!! This has made me sick!! It was actually my 8 yr olds christmas gift and we had given to him early and now I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TripleB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What stripped out, the bolt or the pan? If it's the bolt just replace it. If it's the pan, go to the next size up and tap it for that size bolt.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Heli Coil is your best option! Just make sure that you use the factory crush washer.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen a product for this issue posted on the forum before but I don't recall what it was called so I can't really help you find it. :( Hopefully someone else will remember and post a link for you.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I did same thing on mine and thought pan stripped. Ended up being the bolt that stripped and not the pan. New bolt have been good since. Good luck!

K

kdou7048

Dec 18, 2020
Brewton, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I did same thing on mine and thought pan stripped. Ended up being the bolt that stripped and not the pan. New bolt have been good since. Good luck!
that's what I was hoping for so I purchased a new plug but same issue.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
that's what I was hoping for so I purchased a new plug but same issue.

Sorry about your luck. guess I got lucky. The one time I actually read a manual and it was wrong!

K

kdou7048

Dec 18, 2020
Brewton, AL
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry about your luck. guess I got lucky. The one time I actually read a manual and it was wrong!
Same here. Read the manual, looked at specs, and watched several videos just to make sure and this is what happened. Thanks for the reply

K

kdou7048

Dec 18, 2020
Brewton, AL
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just an FYI, we don't torque drain bolts for this reason.

New drain washer (everytime) and tighten snug only. I've never had one come out this way in 12 years.
When I was about 10, Dad was showing me how to work on my bicycle; when I asked how tight? He said "Pay attention, you can feel when it almost stops turning and you can feel when it stops completely - just a little past that and you're good". I've used my 'torque wrist' ever since. I will use a torque wrench of engine assembly or other structural assemblies but that's extremely rare. 1/4" - 9/16" and 6 mm - 14 mm are all done by feel.

The problem with torque wrenches is their length, they're much longer than the equivalent end wrench, it's almost impossible to feel what you're doing with something so long.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I recently purchased a new 500 and upon needing the first oil change I figured I could save some money and change it myself. I've changed oil on all my equipment in the past and never had any issues. So back to my the problem I ran into while doing this oil change. I read the specs and the owners manual just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Got down to the drain plug where it said to torque to 18 foot lbs and that's where my issue started. Ended up stripping the threads inside the oil pan. Is the fixable, is there a replacement oil pan, or is this something that's going to require me to replace everything. Please help!! This has made me sick!! It was actually my 8 yr olds christmas gift and we had given to him early and now I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: CID
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
It’s common on the 500 engines, I did it to my 06 Foreman. I went the next size up and never removed it again! I used a suction gun to do oil changes. Now I snug it just enough that it doesn’t leak

Reactions: CID
R

Rustell

A quick fix ... use an expansion plug. 1608653008150

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an FYI, we don't torque drain bolts for this reason.

New drain washer (everytime) and tighten snug only. I've never had one come out this way in 12 years.
^^^^This^^^^
I helped a guy out with his and asked if he ever replaces the crush washer......his answer was No!

K

kdou7048

Dec 18, 2020
Brewton, AL
Ownership

1. 500
Wanted to give an update. My mechanic friend came by yesterday afternoon and the problem has been resolved. He ended up taping it out to a 1/2-20 size and with a new plug and crush washer we are back in business. Needless to say it's been a lesson learned. Thanks for the replies.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wanted to give an update. My mechanic friend came by yesterday afternoon and the problem has been resolved. He ended up taping it out to a 1/2-20 size and with a new plug and crush washer we are back in business. Needless to say it's been a lesson learned. Thanks for the replies.
Thanks for the follow up, a lot of times we're left wondering what happened. 👍 👍 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!