BOX1

P1000 Studded tires vs. Chains?

M

MNnice

Jun 29, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live on a lake, will use stock Bighorns on Deluxe wheels as my winter tires. Which works better for snow covered ice? I haven't really considered chains, would use the screw in studs.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It sounds like you want the studs.

Chains are good for forward traction.
You want '2 link' tire chains where every other link on the hoops has a chain that goes across the face of the tire.
These have good traction front to back but less directional traction, perfect for plowing.
They are supper heavy - there is a lot of steel there.
The negative side is they are more suited for low speeds.
Even if you know what you are doing and install them tight (let the air out of the tire, put the chains on as tight as you can then inflate) and put tensioners something will unhook and the chains will eat an inner fender, brake hose of suspension arm.
I just use the chains, no tensioners and keep the speed down.

Tire studs have less traction but they are predictable for forward and side traction.
Studs don't have issues with eating parts.
And the studs are appropriate for driving at speed on ice.

I run studded tires on my cars.
On road studs are a little different than the ATV/SXS screw in studs but the basic concept is similar.

M

MNnice

Jun 29, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! Would never have considered chains having consequences.

Anyone have negatives on studs? Am I going to chunk tires? Are 3/8" long enough to stay in the tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Time to bump a old thread. I have 30x10R14 Kenda Mastodons on my P1000 and they slide all over the place on icy roads. The front tires are the same and they rub the fenderwells when turning hard so neither chains nor studs will help the front. I was thinking of getting a couple studded tires for the rear. I prefer not to use the screw in studs if possible. Does anyone know of a company that makes "studable" tires for UTV's? I have tire chains for the rear but I hate to deal with them unless absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Isaiah
D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The factory wheels are 12x6.5 front and 12x8 rear. How would 28x10 12's work on them? I was thinking of something like these: Full set of ITP Blackwater Evolution 28x10-12 ATV Tires (4) - Full Sets - Tires - ATV There aren't many tires in that size that are compatible with screw in studs. I couldn't find any factory studdable tires for this application, so I would have to put screw in grip studs in them. Anyone have any long term experience with grip-studs?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!