Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I'm clearing an acre of land.
I've cut 20-30 trees that are 4-6 inches diameter.
I cut them about 12" tall.
Now I am wondering how to get rid of the stumps.
I hate to stick my chainsaw in the dirt to cut them of at the ground.
I want to mow this area in the spring.

I know... When you guys are searching for solutions to difficult questions you think... "I'll ask a bunch of SxS enthusiast. They know everything.

Any suggestions?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I'm clearing an acre of land.
I've cut 20-30 trees that are 4-6 inches diameter.
I cut them about 12" tall.
Now I am wondering how to get rid of the stumps.
I hate to stick my chainsaw in the dirt to cut them of at the ground.
I want to mow this area in the spring.

I know... When you guys are searching for solutions to difficult questions you think... "I'll ask a bunch of SxS enthusiast. They know everything.

Any suggestions?
A tractor with a bucket can get some of them in soft ground. May have to chain saw some roots. Rent a mini excavator. Or old school it with a mattock. Mattock and a chainsaw will work also. Just use an old chain.

advertisement
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Depending on species, and equipment availability, It's usually easier to remove the stump when the tree is still attached, for leverage. I recently rented the largest stump grinder i could, which was still underpowered for stumps over 2' diameter, but way better and lower than I can get with a chainsaw. It would rip through 4-6"stumps faster than you could walk it to them.
For 4-6" stumps, I would probably cut the roots with one ripper down on the box scraper, on several sides, then try to push it over with the bucket just below max lift.
A mini-ex 3 tons and above should rip those out no problem, with minimal digging.
But without knowing species and soil type, this is all based on my experience in a Sierra mixed conifer forest
Edit: photo

20201230 071608

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!