P500 Sub harness

R

Ransom

Sep 21, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hey y’all!

so I’ve been scratching my head on this sun harness for days now, trying to hook up the rear led lights (first accessory on the sub harness).

I found the positive wires leading up to the plug in for the sub harness weren’t lined up right. I de-pinned it and now actually running 12 v through the wires.

I went through each leg of the sub harness trying to make sure everything was feeding power and ended up using the white taped lead for the lights as instructed by a diagram I found (somewhere, can’t remember).

I have power to the 5 prong, rocker switch, but no power out of it. I tried another switch with the same result. I tried both variations on the little instruction diagram and it still wasn’t pushing power out of the switch. I went back to 3 prong switch that came with the light assembly harness. Still nothing. I made sure my relay was grounded and even tried an alternate relay from a matching harness (also for led lights that I decided not to use).

So now I have power to the switch, little indicator lights on and all, but still don’t have power coming out. I don’t know what the problem is…

All being said (and with no visuals to help cus I forgot to take pictures), please help. Thank you much!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
and with no visuals to help cus I forgot to take pictures),
Go back and take the pictures 🤷‍♂️
thats why we say POIDH 🤣

Reactions: Ransom
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
Switch wired like this?
31J9mMa6V5L

R

Ransom

Sep 21, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 500
There you go! That's the spirit!
So I got rid of the subharness and just used the red connector to put power straight through to the LED harness. I made sure I had power and a good ground. Even got power to the switch.
There’s 3 pics cus the light on the switch flickers when I flip it on and off and I was trying to show that through pics. The only thing I don’t have is the long extension and white plug that runs all the slack in the lines to the switch. I just shortened that up and took out the quick disconnect for those.
Maybe that’s the problem, but I’m still just lost in the sauce. I can’t figure out why they’re not working or where the problem could be.

FB251E97 A51F 4037 9511 7800424A013A DB59C589 D8F2 42AC 90B3 AB39A9E7AAF1 771901CD 8A77 4C24 930A DEBAB10BEDE9 C796C9F4 1704 4756 BB49 1076922BA7F1 0AE82FE7 833E 4799 88B1 C56B3201792B BAB4132D BFDC 44C1 85D6 05B33633969B CA1B5CD4 18C0 4929 8817 882DF467F291 0E08886F 97B1 4EDB A6BE 48B0FCEB231A

Reactions: Remington
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'd run the hot to the battery or power/fuse block. Sub harness is good for powering the switch. Is that how you're wired? That's how it's shown on the diagram. Or are you powering the lights off the sub harness?

R

Ransom

Sep 21, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 500
I'd run the hot to the battery or power/fuse block. Sub harness is good for powering the switch. Is that how you're wired? That's how it's shown on the diagram. Or are you powering the lights off the sub harness?
I’m wired to the subharness. There’s not too much content on the usage of the subharness for the p500’s so it’s possible I’ve simply misunderstood the correct usage.
I was under the assumption that wiring it directly to the battery would possibly leave it draining the battery. Again, probably a misunderstanding, but I’d definitely appreciate the breakdown.
Also, if I run it directly to the battery, is there a way to hook up a bus bar for future accessories like I’ve seen on other models?

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’m wired to the subharness. There’s not too much content on the usage of the subharness for the p500’s so it’s possible I’ve simply misunderstood the correct usage.
I was under the assumption that wiring it directly to the battery would possibly leave it draining the battery. Again, probably a misunderstanding, but I’d definitely appreciate the breakdown.
Also, if I run it directly to the battery, is there a way to hook up a bus bar for future accessories like I’ve seen on other models?

Definitely, you just need to pick a spot to mount it. I have a huge toolbox on the back of mine that holds my electrical. I have a Blue Sea buss bar mounted in there that all the accessories hook to that is also protected by a circuit breaker. Makes it nice when wiring to be able to kill power to everything.
The sub harness connects to the cig lighter circuit which is a max of 15 amps I believe. Gives you 4 hots and 2 grounds and is perfect for powering switches or low draw items. You'd think it would power those small LED's you're putting in with no problem but you just have to be careful not to overload that circuit.

Reactions: Mudder and Ransom
R

Ransom

Sep 21, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 500
Definitely, you just need to pick a spot to mount it. I have a huge toolbox on the back of mine that holds my electrical. I have a Blue Sea buss bar mounted in there that all the accessories hook to that is also protected by a circuit breaker. Makes it nice when wiring to be able to kill power to everything.
The sub harness connects to the cig lighter circuit which is a max of 15 amps I believe. Gives you 4 hots and 2 grounds and is perfect for powering switches or low draw items. You'd think it would power those small LED's you're putting in with no problem but you just have to be careful not to overload that circuit.
That’s a great idea! I’ll look into that and see what I can come up with!
The last thing confusing me is how to wire it so it has power on ignition. I saw a video where the guy ran 2 power blocks, 1 with power all the time and the other on ignition. He was super informative all except for how the difference in wiring went. I don’t plan on running many things at all, so I got a little 6 plug power block. I just need to figure out what to do with the accessory wires now that I know where the + and - properly go.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!