P500 Installing KFI SE25 Winch with Sub-Accessory Wiring Harness

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi all.

I was working on my winch install last weekend and intend to finish it up this weekend. I picked up the KFI SE25 with the KFI winch mount plate for the P520. My question is, because the KFI winches come with a handle bar mounted rocker switch, I ordered a generic winch dash rocker switch and was hoping to just wire it up to the wiring harness the KFI switch came with.

Here's the new dash rocker switch (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VA0YCD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Here's the KFI winch manual (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VA0YCD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the official KFI dash rocker switch (http://www.kfiproducts.com/QR-CODES/Manuals/MUTV-DRS_small.pdf)

The KFI switch is a 3 wire (green and black go to the Contactor, and red goes to the ignition).

I wanted to avoid splitting the ignition wire, so I purchased the Honda Sub-Accessory wiring harness (08Z08-HL5-A00, on the harness it has 08Z08-HL5-A001 printed, on the bag its 08Z08-HL5-A00) today. The green wire bundle has a green and black/white wire. From the wiring diagrams posted in the harness sticky (P500 - Accessorry sub harness description) the green bundle should be for winch use and only have 1 green lead (not the 2 you see in the attached pic),

Basically should I still use the green wire bundle for the winch? Or should I switch to the yellow bundle?

I can't find any info on 08Z08-HL5-A00 outside of the stick thread.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

IMG 2935

Reactions: Smitty335
duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok I posted some details to the accessory sub-harness sticky here: P500 - Accessorry sub harness description

I included links to all the accessory manuals as well. If you don't know what to google for you'll never find info about the harness wiring.

Basically the yellow and green wires seem to be mis-labelled or changed in this harness I got from my Honda dealership. The package clearly has 08Z08-HL5-A00 labelled. I'm not sure why. I'm going to call the dealership service centre and see if I can ask about it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ok I posted some details to the accessory sub-harness sticky here: P500 - Accessorry sub harness description

I included links to all the accessory manuals as well. If you don't know what to google for you'll never find info about the harness wiring.

Basically the yellow and green wires seem to be mis-labelled or changed in this harness I got from my Honda dealership. The package clearly has 08Z08-HL5-A00 labelled. I'm not sure why. I'm going to call the dealership service centre and see if I can ask about it.
They may have switched colors, female leads in protective sheath should be hots, exposed male lead is a ground. Use any hot lead regardless of color. All four power leads may run off a single 15 amp fuse (aux plug) in the fuse block, max draw is 180 watts combined. Info based on P500.

As the P520 is new here, post a photo of the fuse box label for info/any changes. A circuit tester or voltmenter should confirm.

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
To anyone else that checks this thread out, I'll post my winch and harness setup along with comments about the reversed coloured tape on the sub-harness next week. I intend to finish up my KFI winch install this weekend.

chadh

chadh

May 29, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Any updates on this? Just bought a 520 and getting ready to install winch and lightbar.

idahoron

idahoron

May 3, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any updates on this? Just bought a 520 and getting ready to install winch and lightbar.
I just installed a KFI 4500. It was a straight forward install. My harness had the right ends on everything. It was super easy.
My KFI winch had a alternate wiring diagram for guys putting the contactor under the hood on the front.

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HELP! I am installing a KFI 4500 on my 2022 P520. I have added the accessory sub-harness. I have wired using the "alternate wiring diagram." The contactor has a green female, black male. Remote has green with both male and female, black with both male and female. Rocker switch has red (bare end) white has a loop(?) that goes on a screw somewhere, black female and green male. What goes where? Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hook the black to the black.
And green to the green.
These are the winch contactor control wires.
They are dead wires until you push the switch. Treat them as positives so make sure no bare showing.

Red needs a power source. Most winch manufactures recomend a key-on or switched source.

Winch should work at this point.

I am unsure what white does. Does it go to a rocker switch. Can you tell me what pin # it is on?
I want to say it's a ground. But white ground wires are very uncommon.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hook the black to the black.
And green to the green.
These are the winch contactor control wires.
They are dead wires until you push the switch. Treat them as positives so make sure no bare showing.

Red needs a power source. Most winch manufactures recomend a key-on or switched source.

Winch should work at this point.

I am unsure what white does. Does it go to a rocker switch. Can you tell me what pin # it is on?
I want to say it's a ground. But white ground wires are very uncommon.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick reply--now that I turned the page (duh) and saw the wiring diagram for the switches I think I'm ok. The white is a ground that connects on the ground on the contactor. post

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!