P1000 sub trans output shaft to front drive shaft leaking

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2021 P1000-3 LE - just got it at christmas. Right at 100 miles on it, so I dropped the big aluminum skid plate in preparation to look it all over and change the oil/filter and dct filter. Before I got started, I noticed this leak on top of the skid plate - upon further examination, I see it coming from the seal around the output to the front driveshaft. Probably a sum total of a half a teaspoon. I've seen in some of my vehicles over the years that this happens after a lift install, or maybe a diff overfill, etc, then never see it again.

I'm wondering if I need to try to get this warranty repaired prior to a memorial day trip we have planned out to our Colorado cabin, will be riding around out there for a week, hoping this isn't gonna get worse.

IMG 4391

IMG 4390

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would recommend getting it fixed under warranty. The sub trans is vented, I doubt you have the vent line blocked by now, but it’s worth a check. If it is truly blocked, then clear the line, check to see if the leak continues.

keep an eye on the level and you’ll be fine in the meantime.

I had heater duct get wrapped up in mine, you have to pull the subtrans to remove that seal. It’s not a fun job but it can be done on your own. Some of the bolts holding it to the engine are in some odd spots too.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine was leaking at some point before 1000 miles. That was about 10 thousand miles ago and it's never been low. It's still wet but I've never had to add any oil. I changed sub trans oil when it was 2 years old. Warranty if you want or keep an eye on it and just ride.

Last edited:
brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would recommend getting it fixed under warranty. The sub trans is vented, I doubt you have the vent line blocked by now, but it’s worth a check. If it is truly blocked, then clear the line, check to see if the leak continues.

keep an eye on the level and you’ll be fine in the meantime.

I had heater duct get wrapped up in mine, you have to pull the subtrans to remove that seal. It’s not a fun job but it can be done on your own. Some of the bolts holding it to the engine are in some odd spots too.
I didn't think about that vent, I'll check that. I remember that used to be an issue on some of my truck differentials. I have had the pioneer in a few small water crossings and such, a little mud, but nothing to serious. Mostly running up/down the street to my father-in-law's place. What did you mean by heater duct getting wrapped up in yours?

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't think about that vent, I'll check that. I remember that used to be an issue on some of my truck differentials. I have had the pioneer in a few small water crossings and such, a little mud, but nothing to serious. Mostly running up/down the street to my father-in-law's place. What did you mean by heater duct getting wrapped up in yours?
I used to have heater duct running to the dash from my heater under the seat. It was fine for two winters until it must have worked it’s way close enough it the driveshaft…the shaft spun it all up and took out the front seal on the subtrans.

Reactions: brettc and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!