P1000 oil leak on sub trans, front driveshaft? WITH PICS

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had posted in another thread asking about a recommended dealer for service in my area. Discussion went on about a leak from the sub trans, here are the pictures. I dropped the skid plate and found the oil on top again (after cleaning it all up, wiping off the plate and subtrans). This spot is about 1 ft in diameter.

IMG 5008

IMG 5009

IMG 5010

This is the bottom of the sub trans. Last week when I cleaned it up, there were two drips hanging from the case joint there. That rough casting almost looks cracked. Wonder if it could have been over tightened?

FDC5ED54 DC8F 4268 AD0F B88E97FE278A

All of this oil I wiped off very well last week with a paper towel, it looked new again.
4E4C1E25 E4E3 437F B979 0D2AC591ECAB

I'm pretty sure all of this is the result of the front drive shaft seal, but I am not positive. Again, all of this was cleaned off last week. We went for two more rides, grand total of about 50 miles in the Colorado high country. Easy riding, mountain roads.
26859FDB B677 4466 B153 933063601E1F

D058B008 CC9A 4B79 AEE8 9379DADDC308

Please give me your opinions on what you are seeing here. I plan to pick a local dealer here for service and have it fixed under warranty.
Thanks in advance!
-Brett

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd use some UV tracker dye (Amazon or most any auto parts store) made for oil. Doesn't take much. Add recommended amount (doesn't take much), run for a short while, preferably in the dark (or park in a dark spot after), check with a UV light. If done per directions, this will show you exactly where the leak is originating.

As a side note, they also make UV dye for leak detection in other systems like air conditioning etc.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its best to drive it on a few rides. Check the sub trans oil level. It should be full with a minor leak. My water pump seal is leaking and making a puddle like that. My dealer is difficult to deal with and the Honda tech with 7 years of Honda experience quit two weeks ago. I canceled my extended warranty on both of my Talons and will be doing all the repair work myself. Their new to Honda tech just changed my left front dif seal on my 2020 Talon and didn't add any dif oil. Fortunately I check their work so no problem.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
No update yet, I have reached out to a local dealer service dept just haven't heard back yet. I plan to call them tomorrow. I see that drop on yours, looks familiar.
Seems like it is from the control shaft, but will validate again tomorrow

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
If you (or you bring it to someone) pull the subtrans to replace that seal, go ahead and do the updated internal parts as well.
Will do… need to find that list of parts though.. you have a link handy? Else I’ll just search

Reactions: ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!